Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
We had SiteScout and EasyTimeline? No, I'm not planning on using them; I'm just surprised we had them at all.

I've never been able to get MassEditRegex to work properly. As far as I'm concerned, nuke it.

MsUpload ... It's very easy to use MsUpload. It's also very easy to forget to go provide license terms if one uses MsUpload. While I'd like to see it stay, I see why it needs to go.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I'll miss MassEditRegex. When the third-party engine I used to build my bot stopped working after a MediaWiki update a couple years back, I used MassEditRegex to take care of a few insistent jobs. I don't use it often, but it has been handy.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
MassEditRegex has had use for both me and Bob = stay

SiteScout = remove

EasyTimeline = shame because if we actually bothered it'd be useful (see WP usage in terms of franchise titles chronology, etc)

MsUpload = I prefer the upload and then add, but I prefer giving users choice; is it possible for us to force choosing licence with msUpload? This would remove the problem. Do any regulars use it which are not on here?
Oh, yes - I created a new category today. If we're very, very lucky, it'll disappear soon. (More likely "Daz Soon", a term used when discussing the glacial appearance of Daz Studio updates, all of which are promised "soon".)
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Category:I...ed_license
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-08-2018, 12:55 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, yes - I created a new category today. If we're very, very lucky, it'll disappear soon. (More likely "Daz Soon", a term used when discussing the glacial appearance of Daz Studio updates, all of which are promised "soon".)

soon, that should be e- 50k. ah.

we haven't even categorised all (or half) of our images, let alone licensed them.

is there any guide on which ones should be which license?
(02-08-2018, 02:07 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 12:55 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, yes - I created a new category today. If we're very, very lucky, it'll disappear soon. (More likely "Daz Soon", a term used when discussing the glacial appearance of Daz Studio updates, all of which are promised "soon".)

soon, that should be e- 50k. ah.

we haven't even categorised all (or half) of our images, let alone licensed them.

is there any guide on which ones should be which license?

I'm starting with the low-hanging fruit - the obvious screencaps from relatively-recent shows (film, live-action TV, anime, western animation, etc). Those images get the {{fairuse}} license. I'm also categorizing them by the works they're from as I add the license.

After that, it becomes a data-mining exercise for each image. Is it a copyrighted image? Is is licensed under some version of CC or GPL? Is it public domain? There's no way to tell without going and looking, each and every time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, SiteScout is definitely going.

The others will stay, based on the opinions I've gotten.
New User To Keep An Eye On
With a name like CrativPackaging, I'm expecting to see spam any minute now.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: New User To Keep An Eye On
(02-08-2018, 04:40 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: With a name like CrativPackaging, I'm expecting to see spam any minute now.

Already banned. Idiot spammed a link to their crappy packaging site on their site profile as soon as they joined up, now removed by me.
If their product is as good as their spelling, they must be really desperate.

I want to make a joke about how hard it is to use their wares because of a lack of "ease", but you know, I can't find a way that sounds natural and doesn't need a footnote.
-- Bob

There's this gadget in the preferences called hotlicense that's supposed to make it easy to add licenses to existing images but I can't seem to find the drop down menu once activated, and further searches only link to rationalwiki having it and no documentation.
A couple gadgets appear in the preferences that don't show up any more (or ever). The two predefined edit reason dropdowns on the edit page vanished a few months ago, for example.
-- Bob

(02-08-2018, 06:23 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: A couple gadgets appear in the preferences that don't show up any more (or ever).  The two predefined edit reason dropdowns on the edit page vanished a few months ago, for example.

Gadget fixes are my list of to dos after getting the extension squared away.

Most of them just need updated for MW 1.30.

List all the broke ones in one place for me so I know what to look into.
That's the only one that comes immediately to mind. I'll have to look for the others.
-- Bob

On the cusp of filing that feature request, was considering dumping PageTriage, unless anyone has reasons to keep it.
Depends if anyone uses New Page Patrol (which is what that does), which I personally don't.
New Page Patrol always annoyed me. Once I used it, I couldn't get rid of the floating toolbar thingie it created without completely closing every wiki tab/window -- and sometimes my entire browser.
-- Bob

(02-09-2018, 08:15 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: New Page Patrol always annoyed me.  Once I used it, I couldn't get rid of the floating toolbar thingie it created without completely closing every wiki tab/window -- and sometimes my entire browser.

Yeah, I'll remove it.

BTW, got the Default Edit Summaries working again.
Yeah, I saw!  Thanks!

And here's another thing I wish I knew enough about MediaWiki's guts to determine for myself -- can we limit page moves/renames to Admins?  We've had a couple people swoop in and arbitrarily change page names because they didn't like them in the last week or two -- and god knows we had a hell of a lot problems from that one guy with the god/deity rename fixation a year or so back.  Forcing people to propose renames because they can't just do it on a whim would save us a lot of reverts in the future.  (Although as a side effect it does mean only an admin can launch a trope out of the Workshop.)
-- Bob

Yes, and tbh I'm surprised you all let it happen for all this time. ED made moves staff-only from day one.
It's rarely been a problem. In fact, if two cases hadn't happened in such close proximity to each other I never would have thought to say anything.
-- Bob

And now, another subject entirely.

Some 14 or 15 months ago, I think it was Brent complained about category pages that were articles. We never did anything about it, but while clearing out the contents of the Unused Categories page I've just stumbled across an example that pretty much argues his case for him with eloquence and wit.

Gentlemen, Behold! Category:Ho Yay. An entire hierarchy of trope page and subpages living as a category and subcategories, and ghosted into the main namespace by way of redirects. The one that came up in Unused Categories, Category:Ho Yay/Other, lists dozens of examples across eight media types, but registers as "unused" because there's no page out there that actually has this category, y'know, on it.

This needs fixing now. And its co-conspirators lurking in category space need to be found and fixed as well.
-- Bob

(02-09-2018, 09:22 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Yeah, I saw!  Thanks!

And here's another thing I wish I knew enough about MediaWiki's guts to determine for myself -- can we limit page moves/renames to Admins?  We've had a couple people swoop in and arbitrarily change page names because they didn't like them in the last week or two -- and god knows we had a hell of a lot problems from that one guy with the god/deity rename fixation a year or so back.  Forcing people to propose renames because they can't just do it on a whim would save us a lot of reverts in the future.  (Although as a side effect it does mean only an admin can launch a trope out of the Workshop.)

We can protect individual pages so that they can only be moved or deleted by Admins (I've been working on that for the last couple of days and am halfway through the Nudity Tropes). I don't know whether there's a switch for the entire wiki, but I suspect that there's a "move" right and a "delete" right that can be changed.

(02-09-2018, 11:45 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And now, another subject entirely.

Some 14 or 15 months ago, I think it was Brent complained about category pages that were articles.  We never did anything about it, but while clearing out the contents of the Unused Categories page I've just stumbled across an example that pretty much argues his case for him with eloquence and wit.  

Gentlemen, Behold!  Category:Ho Yay.  An entire hierarchy of trope page and subpages living as a category and subcategories, and ghosted into the main namespace by way of redirects.  The one that came up in Unused Categories, Category:Ho Yay/Other, lists dozens of examples across eight media types, but registers as "unused" because there's no page out there that actually has this category, y'know, on it.  

This needs fixing now.  And its co-conspirators lurking in category space need to be found and fixed as well.

Does anybody have a tool that can go through the List of Redirects and pull out everything that redirects to a category? That would give us a starting list of pages we might need to deal with.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-09-2018, 09:22 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Yeah, I saw!  Thanks!

I can add that to the feature request. In fact, I can make it a specific right admins can only give other users on a per person basis, with the right restricted to admins only by default.

Currently going through our other gadgets and doing some cleanup before I get onto that though.
In that case, I will stop protecting pages on an individual basis.

(There are enough other things that need to be done that dropping this task won't cut the to-do list by much.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown