Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
Cool. I've modified the text accordingly. (And added a snarky comment.)

And while I love the SCTV reference, wouldn't that pothole work better subject-wise going to Stuff Blowing Up?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I've added Stuff Blowing Up as a category to the page - do we need the link as well?

Just asking; willing to bow to the majority on this.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I think it's a matter of personal preference, and sooner or later the Wiki Magic will settle on something.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Are the Miraheze servers an example of this trope?

We're uh, working on getting a dedicated server for our DB, at least. It should be available sometime next week. That might help with the stability.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
The MWExceptions are making it impossible to add a comment on the talk page, so I'm forced to suggest this here:

I just came across the page Cartoonish Supervillainy, and I'm thinking it should be moved into the "So You Want To" namespace, with an appropriate (but minimal) name change -- "So You Want To/Be a Cartoonish Supervillain".  Objections?
-- Bob

(01-05-2018, 04:57 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The MWExceptions are making it impossible to add a comment on the talk page, so I'm forced to suggest this here:

I just came across the page Cartoonish Supervillainy, and I'm thinking it should be moved into the "So You Want To" namespace, with an appropriate (but minimal) name change -- "So You Want To/Be a Cartoonish Supervillain". Objections?
None here.

We might want to double-check the 17 pages that link to that page, though, and make sure the links should be going to this page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't have objections.
(01-05-2018, 04:57 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The MWExceptions are making it impossible to add a comment on the talk page, so I'm forced to suggest this here:

I just came across the page Cartoonish Supervillainy, and I'm thinking it should be moved into the "So You Want To" namespace, with an appropriate (but minimal) name change -- "So You Want To/Be a Cartoonish Supervillain".  Objections?

Sounds good.
(01-05-2018, 05:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: We might want to double-check the 17 pages that link to that page, though, and make sure the links should be going to this page.

Good point.
-- Bob

Miraheze is going into read-only mode at 4:30 EST and offline a half-hour after that, to apply patches against Meltdown.

Hope I get my current batch of edits done by then...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-06-2018, 02:58 PM)robkelk Wrote: Miraheze is going into read-only mode at 4:30 EST and offline a half-hour after that, to apply patches against Meltdown.

Hope I get my current batch of edits done by then...

Yeah.  This is not our choice, but RamNode is going to start doing reboots around 5PM EST, so it's better to do read only than to have data loss.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
It's now 5:15 and the freebie wiki's still in RW mode... I think I'll stop pressing my luck and start an offline textfile of the changes to make once the patches have been applied.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, the wiki's been in RO mode for over a half-hour now. (How much over, I don't know; I broke for dinner.)

So much for "it shouldn't be too long"... and I speak as somebody who has experience in supporting "big iron". (And, as somebody with mainframe support experience, I know full well that an upgrade takes as long as it takes.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And we're back to RW. (At least the freebie wiki is back.)

I should have kept my mouth shut - the 503s are back, too. (And I only had two pages left to create, out of two dozen...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-05-2018, 04:57 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The MWExceptions are making it impossible to add a comment on the talk page, so I'm forced to suggest this here:

And I just found another... How to Invade An Alien Planet should also be under "So You Want To"; when I get around to moving Cartoonish Supervillain, I'll move that as well.

And my pointless gripe of the day:  There's a new trope in the workshop -- Tactile Script -- the creator of which gave a ten-word sentence fragment which doesn't even parse clearly in English as the description.  And no freaking categories beyond the default -- can we do something to force people to add categories before allowing a trope candidate to be saved?  I've gone in and actually turned the trope into something workable, but damn, I wish our tropers would do more than a half-assed job to start with.
-- Bob

(01-08-2018, 01:41 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

And I just found another... How to Invade An Alien Planet should also be under "So You Want To"; when I get around to moving Cartoonish Supervillain, I'll move that as well.

As I post this, there are 101 pages that link to "Template:How-To Guide". Fifteen of those pages are not in the "So You Want To/" space. How many of those fifteen should be moved?

(01-08-2018, 01:41 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And my pointless gripe of the day:  There's a new trope in the workshop -- Tactile Script -- the creator of which gave a ten-word sentence fragment which doesn't even parse clearly in English as the description.  And no freaking categories beyond the default -- can we do something to force people to add categories before allowing a trope candidate to be saved?  I've gone in and actually turned the trope into something workable, but damn, I wish our tropers would do more than a half-assed job to start with.

I'm worried that, if we force people to add #NUMBER categories to a page, we'll get the first #NUMBER categories listed on the Categories list.

Here's what I put at the end of the new page template on the freebie wiki:
Quote:<!-- If you are not comfortable defining categories for pages, leave everything after this line as it is. If you are comfortable defining categories for pages, add categories after this line and delete the "Pages Needing Categories" category. -->
<includeonly>
[[Category:Pages Needing Categories]]
{{DEFAULTSORT:{{PAGENAME}}}} <!-- If the page name starts with "A", "An", "The" or a punctuation mark, replace "{{PAGENAME}}" with a version of the name without them here. DEFAULTSORT should be the very last thing on the page if it's used at all. -->
</includeonly>
This means I need to pay attention to Category:Pages Needing Categories, of course.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
How do I turn off Visual Editor on the Talk pages?

I don't use it anywhere else on ATT or any other wiki, and it's giving me the error message "Error: Module ext.visualEditor.data has failed dependencies" on the ATT Talk pages which means I can't post a comment on any ATT Talk page. And I can't find the switch to turn it off and use the standard editor there just like I do everywhere else on the wiki.

(The visual editor might be useful if you're not technically-inclined, but for somebody like me, it just gets in the way of doing what I want to do. I prefer to kill it with fire wherever I can.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-08-2018, 03:59 PM)robkelk Wrote: Here's what I put at the end of the new page template on the freebie wiki:
Quote:<!-- If you are not comfortable defining categories for pages, leave everything after this line as it is. If you are comfortable defining categories for pages, add categories after this line and delete the "Pages Needing Categories" category. -->
<includeonly>
[[CategoryTongueages Needing Categories]]
{{DEFAULTSORT:{{PAGENAME}}}} <!-- If the page name starts with "A", "An", "The" or a punctuation mark, replace "{{PAGENAME}}" with a version of the name without them here. DEFAULTSORT should be the very last thing on the page if it's used at all. -->
</includeonly>
This means I need to pay attention to CategoryTongueages Needing Categories, of course.

That's a very good idea.  I just added something similar to the Work, Trope and Creator templates.  Thanks!
-- Bob

(01-08-2018, 01:41 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(01-05-2018, 04:57 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I just came across the page Cartoonish Supervillainy, and I'm thinking it should be moved into the "So You Want To" namespace, with an appropriate (but minimal) name change -- "So You Want To/Be a Cartoonish Supervillain".  Objections?

And no, both should be in the How-To Guides.  Which is where they are now.  But not without Cartoonish Supervillainy wandering all over the highway for a bit.
-- Bob

(01-10-2018, 10:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: How do I turn off Visual Editor on the Talk pages?

I don't use it anywhere else on ATT or any other wiki, and it's giving me the error message "Error: Module ext.visualEditor.data has failed dependencies" on the ATT Talk pages which means I can't post a comment on any ATT Talk page. And I can't find the switch to turn it off and use the standard editor there just like I do everywhere else on the wiki.

(The visual editor might be useful if you're not technically-inclined, but for somebody like me, it just gets in the way of doing what I want to do. I prefer to kill it with fire wherever I can.)

And now the bug is preventing me from replying to this post from a new user.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-11-2018, 07:04 PM)robkelk Wrote: And now the bug is preventing me from replying to this post from a new user.

I replied to him and didn't have problems with the talk page.

(I use Google Chrome, and when I reply to a post, I get "Source editing" first. Don't know why it works for me.)
Okay, I saw the comments. You Can See the Explosion from Orbit is cleaned-up, lanuched, and entry-pimped.

So... Anyone for a Christmas ghost story? I only had four examples to start this one, counting A Christmas Carol and all of its movie versions as one example. It also need a better description.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I finally found the perfect quote to start the Quotes Looking for An Article page. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Semi-OT: If the freebie wiki was a DBZ wiki, we'd be making a big deal about the count of content pages. (Yep, it's over nine thousand! That includes index pages, though.)

Although, considering that's roughly quadruple the number of content pages we had this time last year, maybe we should be making a big deal about it...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just a heads-up
A user named RocketMaster, who's been a member since 2013 and should know better, just up and decided he didn't like the name of Monday Every Day. So he renamed it.  

I've reverted the change and left a note instructing him to propose the rename in the forums; I just wanted to flag this for everyone else here since I seem to still be having problems with the fancier message functions on the wiki thanks to our persistent MWException issues.
-- Bob