Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's late September and we really should be getting cool...
It's late September and we really should be getting cool...
... but there's a heat warning in effect in Canada's capital city for this weekend. That means the forecast high temperature with the humidex factored in is expected to climb above blood temperature for at least two days in a row.

If it happens, this will be the hottest September 23 and 24 on record in Ottawa. Records started being kept in 1939.

And the beaches are closed. (The lifeguards have gone back to school.)

Cry
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: It's late September and we really should be getting cool...
And the heat warning has been extended. Add September 25 and 26 to that list of "hottest on record" if the forecast is right.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And we've finally got a chance at a "high in the 50s" day here in Denver... normally we've seen a (piddling) snowfall by now, with temperatures to match.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Today is hottest day in Ottawa so far this year

And there's a open-air fire ban throughout the city.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A funny imgur vid (short)
https://i.imgur.com/EGnvhEk.mp4
And tonight is supposed to be our first snowfall of the season. We'll see how it goes.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Going to be over 80F here the day after tomorrow -- and the next day 30F cooler.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Feeling whipsawed even out here in California. Days in the 80's to 90's, nights in the high 50's low 60's. NOT exactly fun in an area where one is used to a slightly narrower temperature range.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Not enough snow to overcome the retained heat in the pavement... but I've spent collectively, between this morning and getting home from work (mostly the latter), probably fifteen minutes clearing broken and fallen branches from our two silver maple trees because the snow that fell was wet and heavy, and the leaves haven't even turned yet. And it wasn't just us. One of my neighbors came home as I was cleaning, and noted that just about every tree she saw in Glendale (basically just east and south of downtown Denver) had at least one branch broken off.
Meanwhile it was 78 here in Rochester, NY when I went to lunch today.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
And we'll be back to the 60s and 70s for at least the next week here.
Mid October, and it's forecast to be in the mid 70s ALL WEEK LONG. With a slight dip into the 60s for next weekend.
80's all across the greater LA area. In the middle of fricking october? there were people swimming today.
NO QUARTER!

Just checked the five-day forecast for the week: today, 78F high. Wednesday night, 38F low.

Gotta love NJ weather.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Hovering around 70 the entire week here.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Tomorrow's forecast high in Ottawa is 8. We're finally getting to seasonal temperatures - for one day. Then it gets warm again.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(blows dust off thread)

I should be careful what I wish for...
Forecaster predicts a 'classic' Canadian winter complete with plenty of snow
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
*snerk* This surprises you HOW, Rob? :p
NO QUARTER!

53 degF here in Rochester NY as I was driving back from my dental appointment.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Today's forecast for Ottawa is 8C. Tonight it's supposed to drop to freezing - and stay there tomorrow.

We're all watching Sunday's forecast (currently -3C and 40% chance of snow). Sunday's the Grey Cup, and it's being played outdoors in Ottawa. (When was the last time the Superbowl was played outdoors?)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Somewhere around the 1980's I think... Last time they were at the Rose Bowl.

*does research*

3 years ago. Feb 2, 2014 at the Meadowlands.

*does more digging*

And this season will be in Minneapolis, It is, however, a covered stadia.
NO QUARTER!

... *snerk* I just looked at the little weather blurb on my pad lock screen and it said "91 f. High, 83 f"

WTF Accuweather?
NO QUARTER!

Things could be worse - we could be in Calgary. Earlier today, the temperature in Calgary was between +8C and -8C at the same time, depending on what part of the city you were in. How would you dress for a 25 km (~15 mile) cross-town trip?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We had the Shnow there yesterday.,

Well, parts of the country did. The rest had the rain. Tonight everywhere gets the freeze and tomorrow everyone gets to work at least an hour late.

Everyone's on summer tyres, and most of those are chinese bakelite hoops so the predictable has been happening even on the cleared roads. Figured everyone would take the coast road from the Hook to Dublin and either get stuck in an accident, or behind some aul coffin dodger afraid to go above and that nobody in their right mind would cut west over the Mullinavat road from New Ross and join the motorway which would definitely be clear.

I was fucking right!

Slush on refrozen ice. And summer tyres. And rear-wheel drive. Still got home only five minutes slower than the usual 2-hours. Gmaps says the other route would've taken three with two accidents along the way.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
We had our first snowfall on Saturday; got about 3 inches (8 or 9 cm). About 80 percent of it melted away yesterday.
-- Bob