Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC] Need some help with Montreal
[OOC] Need some help with Montreal
Question 
It appears that Seraviel hasn't registered on the new forum, so I'm going to have to make this a general request for assistance. I've written myself into a corner in my latest sidestory - and I'm only at the second scene!

The more fashion-conscious of IC-Rob's boarders have collided head-first with the lack-of-any-fashion-sense-whatsoever that is Ottawa winter wardrobe, and have decided to hop on a train for a day trip to Montreal. The trouble is, I have no idea what Montreal winter fashion looks like (or looked like last winter) or where in Montreal to find it.

Where do they go, remembering they're essentially tourists? What do they find? How badly are they overcharged? How much do they have to pay for their winter wardrobes?

And one for BlackAeronaut: Does the translation effect work on a second foreign language, or will the girls need to stay in west Montreal where they're reasonably assured of finding shop clerks who speak English?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [OOC] Need some help with Montreal
I can't really talk about fashion, but they're probably going to do a lot if not most of their shopping in the underground city, especially in the winter. They can get just about anything they need there, and they probably won't spend too much more than the locals would.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undergroun...,_Montreal

Gare Centrale is part of the underground city and they can get the train directly there from Ottawa.

Oh, one note, if they end up taking the Metro or the bus (and good job not driving, parking is 'difficult' and lets not talk about the one-way streets), transfers are these credit card sized bits of paper with a mag-stripe on them. You can also get an RFID OPUS card and purchase varying amounts of rides or durations for them. IIRC you've recently gotten a similar system in Ottawa.
The Roman Rule:  The one who says it cannot be done should
                 never interrupt the one who is doing it.
    -- BSD fortune file
Hmmm.... I'm inclined to say no.  They would be limited to their native language and the translated language.  (They can speak their native tongue but it will take a bit of willpower to do so - nothing major, they just have to actually think about it a bit.)

Otherwise it might just be a bit....  I dunno, OP?
(10-02-2017, 09:31 PM)firvulag Wrote: I can't really talk about fashion, but they're probably going to do a lot if not most of their shopping in the underground city, especially in the winter.  They can get just about anything they need there, and they probably won't spend too much more than the locals would.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undergroun...,_Montreal

Gare Centrale is part of the underground city and they can get the train directly there from Ottawa.

Oh, one note, if they end up taking the Metro or the bus (and good job not driving, parking is 'difficult' and lets not talk about the one-way streets), transfers are these credit card sized bits of paper with a mag-stripe on them.  You can also get an RFID OPUS card and purchase varying amounts of rides or durations for them.  IIRC you've recently gotten a similar system in Ottawa.

I keep forgetting that Montreal has an underground city. I know about Toronto's.

Okay - walk five minutes to the Transitway station, hop on a bus to Ottawa Station, hop on a train to Gare Centrale, and they're there. Time it right and that's three hours one-way. Once they're there, they can walk.

Hmmmmm... walking means the opportunity exists for people-watching - in both directions.

Better bring along somebody who doesn't want to shop, so she can carry some of the bags. (IIRC, they took all the baggage lockers out of Gare Centrale after 9/11.)

Thanks!

(10-03-2017, 06:04 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Hmmm.... I'm inclined to say no.  They would be limited to their native language and the translated language.  (They can speak their native tongue but it will take a bit of willpower to do so - nothing major, they just have to actually think about it a bit.)

Otherwise it might just be a bit....  I dunno, OP?

Yeah - they can get away with it on Doctor Who, but The Doctor isn't human.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-03-2017, 08:07 AM)robkelk Wrote: Hmmmmm... walking means the opportunity exists for people-watching - in both directions.
... and I just wrote myself into another corner. This one is best resolved by me doing the work myself, though, so the sidestory's on hold for a bit.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown