Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RWBY Volume 5
RE: RWBY Volume 5
a couple AMVs

I have to say, V5 might well be my favorite volume of RWBY. It's the character moments that do it the most, from Blake and the people of her homeland, or Ruby and Oscar, Weiss and Yang, and especially Yang and Raven. The VAs and animators did a magnificent job this time around.
So, we've seen the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and the ScareQrow, who does that leave?
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Good question. Assuming you meant just in the iconic foursome, I've long suspected Summer Rose might be based on Dorothy.

If you mean The Wizard of Oz as a whole and ignoring the obvious ones, there's a good chance Salem is based on the Wicked Witch of the West.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
But Salem's not green.
She wasn't green in the original books, either.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-23-2018, 02:01 PM)hazard Wrote: But Salem's not green.

Go for the meaningful name. Where in North America is most famous for witches, again?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Oh, I've got this one! Is it San José, California? I've sure met a lot of witches there. No, maybe not. My friend says "Planned Parenthood", but that can't be right. Oh, I know, it's Hogsmeade, Orlando, Florida.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
There are of course a lot of other characters in the Oz books than the ones everyone remembers from the first volume; there's Ozma, Tik-Tok, the Hungry Tiger, etc, etc...
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(01-24-2018, 04:43 PM)Labster Wrote: Oh, I've got this one!  Is it San José, California?  I've sure met a lot of witches there.  No, maybe not.  ...

No, no - that's wiccans, not witches. (Make that mistake in Real Life and you'll get an earfull.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(01-26-2018, 12:45 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: There are of course a lot of other characters in the Oz books than the ones everyone remembers from the first volume; there's Ozma, Tik-Tok, the Hungry Tiger, etc, etc...

When they introduced Oscar at the start of Volume Four, my initial reaction was "Okay, that's Tip before he becomes Ozma."
(01-26-2018, 08:27 PM)Mamorien Wrote: When they introduced Oscar at the start of Volume Four, my initial reaction was "Okay, that's Tip before he becomes Ozma."

I don't think Oscar would approve of that.

... The shippers might.
New ep (and apparently the finale for the Volume)

Note: there's an after credits scene
And I just got an email from Rooster Teeth (I'm a "First" member) -- RWBY Chibi season 3 starts today. Of course.
-- Bob

Some AMVs

Ok. Wow.

Now that everyone has had a chance to see Vol 5... time to pull it apart and discuss it. Smile Its not like CRWBY read this forum, so we should be safe here. Tongue
(Fair warning: I'm going to bounce all over the place.)

Points I noticed: Where do you start? Monty Oum is credited as a writer still. So we're still following his vision and the plan he laid out before his death. IIRC it was said he left enough notes for 10 seasons.
RWBY is written in waves, like sine waves. Rises and falls. You can't have action all the time in a story. You do need some explanation, some character building, world building and alike. I feel that Vol 5 was a good hearty dose of Character Arc after Character Arc after World Building. All building up to the reveal of the McGriffin of the Lantern in the Cavern which they now need to ferry to Atlas. It would nice however if we could get back to some Action. (See fights of the trailers and Vol 1-3)

What do I expect to see in Vol 6 and beyond? A Timeskip for one. We need to jump ahead a bit if they are going to make their target of 10 years in 10 Volumes. Also I expect them to encounter some difficulties at the border. Either they will smuggle themselves over, or fight their way through. Several huntsmen vs an army... I'm counting on the huntsmen. Also I predict 'fallout' from Wiess's actions, and I so want to see her get justice against her father, but somehow doubt it will happen soon or at all. I also expect the two teams to sorta merge or at least work really close. When they get to Atlas, they will probably see Penny v2, more conflict with the council and schemes within schemes, and meddling from Salem and Adam.

Did anyone note that way back in the Yellow trailer for Vol 1, just before the reveal of Yang, there is a back bird that flies off? And that the pic she shows Junior is Raven? Foreshadowing much?

This could be idle speculation on my part, but Ruby's mum... Summer Rose. Summer Maiden maybe? Or maybe the Spring maiden in disguise?

That's enough for now. Smile

Regards,

Shader
Just as I knew all of Life's Answers... they changed all the Questions!!
Quote:
There is one thing you don't put in a trap, if you're smart, if you value your continued existance, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there is one thing you never, ever put in a trap.
And what would that be sir?
Me.
- Dr Who
As I recall, the image Yang shows junior was not actually Raven, but a pre-existing bit of art -- it's shown somewhere, one of the Blu-Ray featurettes maybe, I don't recall. But I suspect that Raven's character design was inspired by what few details you can see in the tiny image.

As for the Maidens, remember that every explicitly seasonal name so far has turned out to be non-indicative, or even something of a red herring (Cinder's last name doesn't count, given her reaction to Raven's suggestion that she chose it herself, and the possibility she did so after stealing some of the Fall Maiden's power). I think it would be too easy for Summer Rose to have been the Summer Maiden in her time, and for Winter Schnee to the Winter Maiden (surely we would have seen eyeflames from her during her fight with Qrow in V3 if that were the case).
-- Bob

Tongue 
.We also don't have 100% confirmation of Cinder being dead (though I would rate the odds of her being an Ex-parrot Maiden very high).  She and Raven broke each other's auras on their last clash, which also meant that if Yang had fought Raven, Yang actually had good odds of winning

So  we currently have Raven as the Spring Maiden, the Summer and Winter Maidens in hiding and the Fall Maiden's status unknown (even assuming Cinder is dead, was she thinking of anyone in her last moments?  Thinking of Salem probably wouldn't work as she's not human, Raven (her killer) already is a Maiden.  Unless she happened to think of Emerald, then the Fall Maiden's power is also out in the wild, though now of less interest to Salem as that particular macguffin is out where she can get at it)

Speaking of which, can anyone recall which macguffin this was?  Part of me was expecting it to regenerate Yang's arm when she picked it up. Tongue

I want to see Weiss' reaction (and to a lesser extent, the others') to learning that Blake is sort of a princess/heiress Big Grin

Poor Emerald, her devotion to Cinder was at least real (though if this were Worm, I think she would have triggered/second triggered there), not surprised she passed out, way back in Vol 3, she mentioned providing visions to 2 people at once gave her a headache, doing it to 9 at once?  Major brain strain
It was the Relic of Knowledge. Peg and I figured that Yang's collapse and cry when she touched it was the result of learning something.
-- Bob

I had just chalked it up to her making a final break with Raven and just holding it in for a minute after Raven left, but that's quite plausible.
Though your point is very well taken, too.
-- Bob

not often you see an AMV this long

Edit to another AMV
Quote: When they get to Atlas, they will probably see Penny v2,
If I were directing the trailer for next season, the very last words of it would be "I'm combat ready!"  And then I would just wait for the roar of applause at the premiere.

That relic looks very Sailor Moon.  A little steampunk too.  But seriously the first thing I thought when I saw the Lamp was "Grail".

And speaking of magical girl magic, Jaune's semblance is really good.  He was already getting good at tactics, which I actually considered "balanced" with characters that had a semblance.  Good tactics are often the difference between victory and defeat.  Give Jaune a semblance that can be used tactically as well as for healing... yeah, he's as broken as Ruby with her silver eyes thing.  He'll probably never be a front line heavy, but his archetype Joan of Arc won battles by carrying a flag and providing inspiration.

A rather enjoyable season, as you can see the plot coming back together.  I've liked every season except volume 3, and that was because I hate tournament arcs.  But this season brought a lot of maturity to the characters, and I'm thankful for that.  Also, I'm considering making Raven my new waifu.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(02-01-2018, 04:10 AM)Labster Wrote: Also, I'm considering making Raven my new waifu.

She'll just run away and leave you to raise the kid.