Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To-do List
To-do List
I'm creating this thread so I don't forget things I need to do for the boards.  Feel free to suggest things I should add.

• Upgrade forum software
  • Install queued-up plug-ins.
  • Figure out how to change the "start date" for the forums.
  • Complete restoring as many "Guest" postings to their original posters' names as is reasonably possible.
  • Fix forum stats panel.
  • Find CSS controlling SanFelix page buttons and fix contrast.
  • Find and delete spammer threads that were locked and hidden and forgotten on original boards.
  • Restore recovered images from old board where possible.
  • Restore mod privileges to those who had them on the old board and still want/need them here.
  • Investigate thing where replying twice to a thread in rapid succession results in the second reply appended to the first.
  • Change the font color on thread paging buttons again -- and note where it is against future need.
  • Apply found fix for video embed breakage.
  • Investigate CAPTCHA problem reported by Ebony (on both password reset and "Contact us" feature)
  • Change the encoding of the message column in mybb_post to utf8mb4. (Attempted, got server error; may not try again.)
  • Recreate top-of-forums "headlines" for chapter byte counts 'n' stuff
  • Figure out and fix markup weirdness on file attachments to posts.
    • Figure out how to make announcements theme-sensitive.
  • Find out how to display subject lines on individual posts.  They're in the db, why aren't they on the pages?
    • Refine style/positioning of subject lines.
    • Make conditional if blank or simple "Re:topic". (Is that even possible?)
    • Port changes to other themes once I'm satisfied.
  • Figure out how to hack the statistics table so messages are tallied by their original date-of-posting instead of the date they got added to the new forums.
    • Write SQL to extract dates from posts and threads to generate new historical records for stats table; also need code to clean up entries made by import in August '17.
    • Import original registration data from scrape info and apply to users' records.
  • Create double-wide green-n-white logo, possibly with a nice image.  Create counterparts for other themes.
  • Fix the Simple theme (or have creator fix it) per user complaints.
  • Fix inline moderation issues with themes other than the default.
  • Find solution for nonfunctional multiquote.
  • Fix internal links to threads and posts.
  • Fix time offset on posts from Yuku/Crapatalk.
  • Create a document listing the location and specifics of all manual customizations made to board layout/styling.
  • HTTPS/SSL
  • Implement table markup plug-in
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: To-do List
Fix the Simple theme so one can actually read threads with it.

BTW, are you aware that San Felix is currently the only theme that has your custom graphic for the forum logo?
Yes, I'm aware of that. Rob created it expressly for this color set and neither he nor I have made any others to replace the default logos. Hm. That should go on the list.

And I'll need to understand how themes and MyBB work together much better before I can fix Simple by myself, but that's already something I'll probably be doing to figure out how to get post titles to appear. Anyway, that's another thing for the list.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Also, I created that logo as a temporary thing until something better comes along. (I'm beginning to think it'll be as temporary as income tax, though...)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Well, I did put "new logo" on the list yesterday...
-- Bob

That you did. I just didn't want anybody thinking they'd hurt my feelings by proposing a replacement banner.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hm. In making visible the subject lines for individual posts, I discovered something which had eluded me all these weeks -- if you hover your mouse over the blank space between the post date and the message #/checkbox, the subject for that particular post will appear in a tooltip. Nice, but not all that useful for us.
-- Bob

(10-04-2017, 09:24 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
  • Investigate thing where replying twice to a thread in rapid succession results in the second reply appended to the first.

I meant to ask this a while back, but has anyone seen these behaviors since the board upgrade?
-- Bob

(02-09-2018, 11:58 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 09:24 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

I meant to ask this a while back, but has anyone seen these behaviors since the board upgrade?

I saw the "replying twice to a thread in rapid succession results in the second reply appended to the first" behaviour today, when replying to two of your posts in the tenth ATT thread.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, then. That one at least still needs fixing. Thanks.
-- Bob

While we're at it. I checked the various installed forum themes and the Simple theme still drops me to a reply box without showing me any posts when I try to read a thread.

Edit to add: Just to double check, after posting this, I changed themes to Simple and it told me that this post had been deleted. I changed back to San Felix, and whadaya know, the post is still here.
It also appears that the new release broke in-line moderation for the default theme; I'm planning on spending some time over at the MYBB site seeing if there's a fix or a workaround.
-- Bob

I found a solution for the broken inline moderation, I just have to steel myself to make the necessary changes. Playing with the guts of the board still makes me nervous.

Oh, and yesterday, Black Aeronaut (I think it was) made an off-hand request for table support in the middle of a huge post on a different topic. I went looking, found something that was supposed to be very good, uploaded it... and attempting to install and activate it throws an error. I'm going to have to consult the support board over at MyBB's site for help.
-- Bob

Yes, I believe that was me. Thanks for working on that.

Unfortunately, I think I got another glitch to add to the pile.

While I was attempting to move some posts between thread in There's Nothing Better under the San Felix theme, the moderation features acted as though I had not selected any posts. It seems to work fine under the Default theme.
That's probably the same inline moderation issue. I still haven't worked up the guts to make the fix.

But we also have a board update to apply, which I'll do first. Soon. Not now, not after a pint of my blueberry beer in me.
-- Bob

I would dare say not indeed! Smile
I think you should add a subforum of General Chatter for the archives of WTF images, just like for ATT.
Not a bad idea. I'll have to do that when I get back.
-- Bob

Ditto for Video Madness
Video Madness could probably go in the same one, really. Just rename it Media Madness Archive, or something like that. Old Trailers threads too maybe?
--
‎noli esse culus
Have to concur, unless it is too much work. Would rather Bob had the time to make me look bad by writing more DW.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Would it be better to change the "Anime Music Videos" forum that isn't used much into the media forum? It might be a better catch-all over being in general chatter.
"Some people are the apple of your eye. Others are just a pie in your face. Apples, maaan. Stick with them." -- Pascal (Animal Crossing: New Horizons)
Okay, every thread i can find with "video" in the title that still has a live video or link to same is now in the renamed "image and video thread archive" subforum.
-- Bob