Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
RE: "It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
Well, that's not suspicious at all.
Reset.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Almost a reset. Is Canada going to have to solve all of your problems? Smile

Former CFL champion helps stop gun-wielding woman at Florida high school
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Dramatic surveillance video captures the moment a gunman suddenly opened fire on Indiana police officers with an assault rifle.

No officers were injured. abcn.ws/2GlXiy9
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
But he did kill one of his neighbors.

Another "almost":

Mass shooting thwarted in Illinois.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Another reset.

Texas high school shooting

Angry

ETA: I want to put my fist thru this guy's face
https://twitter.com/funder/status/997489206795685888
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Yet again, the pro and anti gun control posts have outrun the news.

It's almost like people expect it to happen.

Either way, there's nothing more to be said beyond what's been said a dozen times already and will be said over and over again

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(05-18-2018, 10:09 AM)SilverFang01 Wrote: Another reset.

Angry

At least eight dead, the day before graduation. Suspect in custody was a student at the school.

How many more of these shootings are you going to have before you do something about the Second Amendment?

EDIT:
Ten dead: Glenda Perkins, Cynthia Tisdale, Kimberly Vaughan, Shana Fisher, Angelique Ramirez, Christian Riley Garcia, Jared Black, Sabika Sheikh, Christopher Jake Stone, and Aaron Kyle McLeod.

AP: Authorities name all 10 victims killed in Texas high school shooting
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-18-2018, 02:35 PM)robkelk Wrote: At least eight dead, the day before graduation. Suspect in custody was a student at the school.

How many more of these shootings are you going to have before you do something about the Second Amendment?

Wrong question I fear.

The better question would be 'how long until the NRA is disbanded under public pressure?' Because as long as the NRA exists an ever expanding definition of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution will be in existence as gun manufacturers try to sell more guns and munitions, and nothing can be done about it.
The NRA is not above the Supreme Court, and that's the body that has defined the Second Amendment. Bring a civil suit to the courts, and force it all the way up.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-18-2018, 02:35 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-18-2018, 10:09 AM)SilverFang01 Wrote: Another reset.

Angry

At least eight dead, the day before graduation. Suspect in custody was a student at the school.

I fear that many, many more yet. To too many in the U.S. the gun has become an object of worship--which is something that the Childish Gambino video was highlighting with the scenes where guns were treated like sacred objects.

Hell, the vice governor of Texas asserted that the problem was that schools had too many entrances, as if making sure that closing possible avenues of escape would be preferable to actually dealing with the real threat.

I would gladly donate money to a crowdfund campaign to take a civil suit against the russian-backed terrorist organization if the parents, students, and a good team of lawyers were to go in that direction.

Guns are sacred? At least in the U.K. only hand grenades are holy.

Maybe we should consider putting our children somewhere safer than schools, like in the military.

@robkelk: Have you heard of the Federalist Society? Forcing it all the way up is not a recipe for success in restricting gun access.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
And it seems that the gun god was not satisfied with the blood of ten, so an acolyte offered one more: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...625528002/

(05-19-2018, 12:25 AM)Labster Wrote: @robkelk: Have you heard of the Federalist Society?  Forcing it all the way up is not a recipe for success in restricting gun access.

I had not heard of them, no. If the Wikipedia article is correct, then they're another lobby group on the same side of this particular debate as the NRA. Who speaks for everyone else?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The Federalist Society is just another lobby group that happens to count 4/9 of the Supreme Court among its members.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Perhaps I'm naive, but I would hope judges routinely put aside their biases and preferences while deliberating on matters of law.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-19-2018, 07:43 PM)robkelk Wrote: Perhaps I'm naive, but I would hope judges routinely put aside their biases and preferences while deliberating on matters of law.

That is the job of a good judge, and there's plenty of good judges. Unfortunately, in cases of politically motivated and/or corrupt governments judges routinely employ their biases and preferences while deliberating on matters of law. And yes, governments are generally supposed to be politically motivated, but there's a difference between 'I want to make this true and will try and make it so within the bounds of law and reality' and 'I want this to be true and it shall be true regardless of law and reality.'

And guns in the USA?

Guns in the USA and the politics around them are often the latter.
The only way the current regime on guns will change is when the current generation in power dies off and the generation who is growing up with almost weekly school massacres comes into power and decides they don't want their children growing up in that.
Suspect in custody after shots fired at Indiana middle school

What will get the blame this time: the amount of doors, video games, lack of school prayer? Huh

And Now in Game format

A fairly shite game at that.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(05-26-2018, 07:29 AM)Dartz Wrote: And Now in Game format

Yeah, I saw that. I know, they claim it wasn't intended to be a game celebrating school shootings, but y'know, perceptions can kill companies, and anything that lets you be the active shooter against the cops is going to cause a very skewed perception (especially right now, and IMO justified pretty much at all times anyway), even if they do allow you to take on the ESWAT role if you desire.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
(05-26-2018, 07:29 AM)Dartz Wrote: And Now in Game format

Oh look, a Steam Greenlight game that's disgusting as hell, both in terms of subject matter and actual quality. Business as usual there. This is far from the worst thing hiding in Steam these days. This isn't an actual game company, this is some scumbag asset flipper exploiting Steams poor moderation to make a profit. Not from the game itself, but likely from the Steam Cards side of things. Still, at least this one isn't making a preview video that is the 'developer' declaring that this him taking a stand against 'SJW faggots oppressing Straight White Men', so there's that.
No worries, Matrix Dragon.

AP: Active Shooter pulled from Steam after complaints from parents of victims in Parkland shooting
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Huh, Valve actually did something. That's a rare occurrence.
(05-30-2018, 06:16 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: Huh, Valve actually did something. That's a rare occurrence.

It was the possibility that it would become publicly known outside of certain gamer circles that they stopped giving a crap about what they're selling and will basically allow anything to grace the storefront.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor