Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
RE: "It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
Ouch!

To be honest, I have little hope that anything will change. If a school full of dead children didn't do it, Las Vegas won't. At least until the political power of the modern NRA is broken.

Still, as I read once, "It is not incumbent upon you to finish the task. Yet, you are not free to desist from it."

I have written to my Senators and Representatives with the following suggestions since I know that repealing the second amendment won't fly:

• Reverse current limitations on research by federal agencies, and increase funding for existing programs.
• National Registry of Firearms.
• For a person to obtain a gun, he should attend an all-day class and pass a written test regarding proper operation, maintenance, and safety. This class and test are to be held once a month under qualified firearms instructors. Classes and exams must be re-taken every three years.
• Take and pass a shooting range class.
• File with the local and federal authorities a psychological test and a drug test.
• Pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups.
• Provide local and federal authorities with documentation on the gun, its location within your property, and the type of ammunition. Both must be properly stored and locked.
• Have the police inspect the gun once per year.
• Law must apply to gun shows as well.
• Gun buyback program to get as many off the street as possible.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

Messages In This Thread
RE: "It's always too soon to talk about gun control" - by SilverFang01 - 10-05-2017, 07:08 PM