Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
RE: "It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
Gun control doesn't stop the criminals from getting guns no more than a red and white sign on the roadside stops me from doing 240kph on public roads.... . But that's not really the point.

It makes it harder. It costs more money - because of the increased risks involved. Someone has to smuggle an illegal weapon. Someone has to hold an illegal weapon. Someone has to get ammunition for an illegal weapon. And all of these people take a massive premium for their service because they're looking at time in prison if they get caught.

It also means the non criminals who probably shouldn't have guns tend to get weeded out along the way. In our case, by the gun community self-policing. You need to either be a member of gun club - which means you have to convince the members to let you in, or you need specific permission from landowners to shoot on their land. And you need a specific legitimate purpose for owning the weapon - shooting pests, sports, hunting and the like.

Self defense is specifically excluded as a reason on the license form.

And yet, if you own a weapon, you are allowed to use it to defend your home. If you find a burglar in your home at night, nobody will think twice about you putting a hole in them to keep your family safe. You can shoot 'em in the back as they're running across the field because they've been harrasing you for months and will come back (Actual Case). You are also allowed stab them in the head with half a broken shears (Whyever would you even have that in your house where it comes easy to hand? But also an actual case). You can fire a warning shot at someone - hit them by accident, get sued and the judge will throw it out because they were the ones breaking the law (Third actual case)

The final lock is the local police superintendant who normally rubber stamps things but, say, if you've a history of murder and being a member of an organisation that's treasonous to the State they'll fairly handily deny the application. Even if that was a long time ago and you've moved strictly towards peaceful politics now.

But generally, the jist of the process is that it involves convincing either the locals or the gunowning community - and the local cops - that you're not a cunt who's going to ruin it for everyone. And for the majority of people who want to get a firearm in this country it's actually not too difficult to do. There's decent game to be had and an active community of shooters. And you have a community that very much auto-polices itself.

There is, of course a side benefit.

The police can generally ask a few questions first before shooting people. Or don't even need to be armed in the first place.

EDIT..... and now I have Deja Vu. I could swear I said the same thing before somewhere....

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "It's always too soon to talk about gun control" - by Dartz - 06-30-2018, 09:58 AM