Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
RE: "It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
Reset. Unusually, it was a female shooter.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Another reset. Just a couple of hours ago, downtown: Shooting at Jacksonville Landing.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Yeesh. And the odds that it was some sore loser who took gaming way too seriously? <sigh>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
There is a press conference soon. Suspect died on scene and there is some video of the shooting as it happened. Someone was live-streaming the event.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(08-26-2018, 03:16 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Yeesh.  And the odds that it was some sore loser who took gaming way too seriously?  <sigh>

And yeah.  According to CBS radio news this morning, it was just this.  Guy lost in an earlier round, came in with a gun, and started shooting people because he couldn't hack losing a video game.
-- Bob

Yeah, and I've already been hearing some people expecting another round of "see, video games as they are now promote violent responses, you adults need to let the kids have these toys to themselves and find another hobby" in lieu of trying to find a real solution.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
It wouldn't surprise me, no more than the CNN guest who blamed the Gibbets kidnap/murder on toxic male attitudes
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

And yep, right on schedule after "if they'd allowed guns to be carried into the venue there wouldn't have been a shooting", although it takes a really odd tack: https://splinternews.com/floridas-attorn...1828628029

So now some of them are going to try to scare parents into keeping the kids away from video games?
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Reset averted, maybe - San Bernardino

"There was no indication that Sunday's gunfire was in any way connected to the 2015 shooting."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Not averted.

This tread isn't about political motives of the shooters, it's about the mass shootings, and the reactions to them.

8 injured due to gun violence? I'd say that counts. Regardless of the fact that apparently people have yet to die of the injuries suffered.
Reset
Cincinnati, 4 dead including shooter
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Possible Reset
St. Catharines, "multiple shootings victims".[sic] Story breaking as I post this.
(Yes, it's in Canada, but it's right on the US border.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Reset
Alabama - 1 dead, 4 wounded
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Reset. Man kills wife, four others in California before taking his own life.
-- Bob

Reset.

Miami: Armed man wanted for hate crimes died after shooting at cops - https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c...73495.html

Harford Md: 6 shot, 3 killed Thursday morning - https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/20/us/maryla...index.html

Syracuse NY: Multiple victims shot, including a child, in the past hour. - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fiv...ng-n911731

Reset. It's been a while. Don't have anything to link to, but I was trying to watch late-night comedy when the news cut into all the local channels. Apparently a few people have been shot at a bar in Thousand Oaks, a place I drove past last weekend. It'll probably be morning before we get proper news about it.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Here is more information: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46135459

AP is reporting 13 fatalities, including the shooter and one police officer.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/shooting-c...-1.4896719
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
In a rare tragedy double-header, a decent chunk of Thousand Oaks has to evacuate tonight because of the risk of wildfire, maybe 30,000 people. Evac will be a little harder because the freeway is closed on one side because of a different fire. Homes are burning now, but hey, at least possessions can be replaced, right?
Sorry to hear about that.

And we had a loony down in Melbourne today. Torched a ute, stabbed three people, one fatally, before being shot dead by police. Disturbing.
An article yesterday in the Boston Globe pointed out that we're getting accustomed to this....

Quote:We probably won’t remember this next week.

The circumstances of the shooting that took the lives of 12 people in Thousand Oaks, Calif., on Wednesday night were not unique. The body count was not uncommonly high. The victims were not heartbreakingly young, or devastatingly old.

It’s at once unconscionable and indisputable: America is so inured to gun violence that even massacres have become mundane.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
The legendary St. Valentine's Day Massacre was the shooting of mere seven people. If it occurred today, it would easily be forgotten.
I think what was really legendary about that massacre was that it was done by men under Al Capone masquerading as police officers. These victims, even though technically criminals, had no idea what was coming as the police had a certain rules of engagement they abided by in those times.

If you had a sudden mass-execution of people working in meth lab by a rival gang all posing as police, then that would certainly be memorable, and cause for grave alarm. (Bad enough that police act like gangsters sometimes, but to have them be ACTUAL gangsters disguise? Yeah.)
(11-09-2018, 08:49 AM)DHBirr Wrote:
Quote:It’s at once unconscionable and indisputable: America is so inured to gun violence that even massacres have become mundane.

And they've become common, as well. Case in point: one of the victims of the Thousand Oaks massacre was a survivor of last year's Las Vegas massacre. Even a decade ago, who would expect any particular person (who doesn't work in law-enforcement) to be in the target crowd of more than one mass shooting, ever?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown