Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
RE: "It's always too soon to talk about gun control"
I'm gonna call a foul on this one for several reasons.

For one, he'd already been ordered to surrender his firearms.

Two, he apparently used guns that were not registered to him. While not evident at this time, it is very unlikely that they were 'gifts' from a friend or family member. (EDIT: an elaboration - he either bypassed the background check system through illicit means, or the background check system has somehow failed once again. Either way, new laws are not going to have any effect, though reforming the current background check system and better enforcing current gun control laws probably would have stopped this from happening.)

Three, it's pretty obvious the man was mentally unstable, even if this has only been discovered hindsight - I stand by my argument that mental health care reform will do far more to stop mass shootings than making up new gun control laws.

Unless you guys wanna make this yet another round of "Nobody should ever own guns" again? Pretty sure the conclusion we all came to was, "It won't happen because it will cause more violence in the short term than it will solve."

(As a reminder to our members who do not live in North America, keep in mind that there are people here in the USA that have bumper stickers that say "They can have my gun when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers." This is not an idle warning. Try to take their guns away and they WILL make good on that promise.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: "It's always too soon to talk about gun control" - by Black Aeronaut - 01-13-2019, 01:38 AM