Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Name A Distant Astronomical Object
Help Name A Distant Astronomical Object
On New Year's Day, NASA's "New Horizons" probe is going to encounter an oddly-shaped ice-covered object at the very edge of the solar system, making it the most distant object ever explored by a spacecraft.  The problem is... it doesn't have a nice, easy-to-say name.  Its only name right now is the catalogue number "(486958) 2014 MU69", which the guy in charge of the New Horizons project calls a "license plate designator".  So NASA has decided to crowdsource a name for it that will roll trippingly off the newsfeed.

You can nominate a name here or vote for an existing suggestion here.  To avoid another "Boaty McBoatface", they're not going to be blindly taking the one with most votes, but will review some small number of the top vote-getters and pick from them.

If you want to read more about this, there's this Washington Post article, if you haven't used up your free views from them yet this month.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Help Name A Distant Astronomical Object
Alas, "Janus" is already in use for one of Saturn's moons. It would have been perfect - two rocks of roughly the same size, at the doorway to the Solar System...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
'Athlone'

A lifeless hole in the arsehole of nowhere.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Outthere.  Less whimsically, Niflheim, which Wikipedia confirms is a "realm of primordial ice and cold."  Or Utgard, which can be translated as "Outer Place."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."