Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone here know classic artwork?
Does anyone here know classic artwork?
I'm spending the day at home so I don't spread my cold to everyone else at the office. I've just made a page on the freebie wiki for a set of poses based on classic artworks (ranging from Classical Greek to 20th-century French, from what I could tell). The thing is, I only recognize roughly a third of them. Can anyone identify any of the ones that I couldn't?

I'm the first to admit that this is a tricky request - the poses have almost zero context remaining. Making images of them with the default figures didn't help, and in a few cases I could only approximate what little there was left as hints for the sources of the poses.

Here are the images, each one numbered. #1 (The Thinker) is in the information box; the others are in the gallery.

Any help with identifying these pastiches would be appreciated.

(I'm thinking that I should recognize #20, but I can't place it... <sigh>)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Does anyone here know classic artwork?
#03 is tantalizingly familiar, as is #18. I'll have to look a couple things up when I get home tonight (after a doctor appointment, won't be soon).
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I'd thought #03 might be something about a hero defeating an Amazon.  When I checked the Wikipedia article on Amazons, I didn't find anything like that image, but Amazon in Combat somewhat resembles #16.  The positions of arms, feet, and head aren't quite right, but then #01 doesn't seem to me to really be hunched over quite enough for The Thinker.

Also, I suspect #14 is meant to be Artemis/Diana, but which particular statue or painting of her I can't find.  Strictly speaking, it could instead be one of the maidens who hunted with the goddess.  I tried looking for a matching image of Atalanta, but didn't see one.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
None of the poses that I recognized are exact matches, either. No worries there. However, the left arm not being raised completely above the head makes me wonder, too.

With the sword in the male's hand for #3, I was thinking maybe Perseus defeating Medusa, but I couldn't find any artwork remotely similar to that pose set in a quick search.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I believe #10 is the [/url][url=http://www.decorarconarte.com/WebRoot/StoreES2/Shops/61552482/49C7/6048/8CCD/8C04/A913/C0A8/28BD/1494/Escultura_herculesfarnesio.JPG]Farnese Hercules.  #14 is Artemis the Huntress</a>.

EDIT: Sorry, my links went weird. The sites should be true.
Thanks, Ebony.

I've updated the list with what we've identified so far.

If it helps, #17 was shown seated in an armchair. I don't have an armchair of the correct style in my collection (I only have overstuffed digital armchairs, which that one wasn't).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown