Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Net Neutrality, Internet access, Media Consolidation
RE: Net Neutrality, Internet access, Media Consolidation
How the Congressional Review Act (CRA) works, and how it can restore net neutrality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABCjxFt...e=youtu.be

From a public Facebook post by Harold Feld, VP at publicknowledge.org who's been on this fight since 2006 at least:
Quote:I, the Amazing Broadband Kreskin, will now predict the content of the upcoming Republican "Net Neutrality" Bill.

1. "The 4 Freedoms" can only be adjudicated by case-by-case enforcement action.

2. All other FCC authority over broadband eliminated.

3. States totally preempted.

And here is my blog post FROM 2006, explaining why this "deal" was utterly inadequate in 2006.
https://www.wetmachine.com/tales-of-the-...formation/

This is what Republicans, with the nodding approval of industry, have offered every Goddamn time for the last 10 years.

But what irritates me is that no one ever asks "why should anyone take seriously an offer that was overwhelmingly rejected back in 2006, when the net neutrality community was much weaker politically and when the need to have FCC oversight of broadband as the critical communications platform of the 21st Century is even more obvious now than it was in 2006?" No, it's all "but why don't you negotiate?"

The reason people who actually care about net neutrality -- as well as redlining, privacy and every other element of consumer protection we traditionally care about with regard to our communications infrastructure -- keep rejecting this "negotiation" is precisely the same reason Mexico is not interested in "negotiating" how much it will pay for the wall.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

Messages In This Thread
RE: Net Neutrality, Internet access, Media Consolidation - by SilverFang01 - 12-19-2017, 06:42 PM