Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another double standard
Yet another double standard
Harvey Weinstein and others are being held to account, but what about Donald Trump?

I'll just leave that here.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Yet another double standard
When the president does it, it's not illegal

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
He wasn't the President at the time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-27-2017, 05:34 PM)robkelk Wrote: He wasn't the President at the time.

Ahhhh, but now he's the President ... and we aren't.  And anyway, he's decided now that the Access Hollywood tape was faked — that isn't him on it — even though when the tape first came out, he simply called it "locker room talk" and didn't deny saying it.  One law for hoi polloi (that's us) and another law for the rich ... and no law at all governing President Windrip.

"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atombomb, the dread destroyer, who would some day come to end the world." — Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, H. Beam Piper
Main issue is that the President (and members of Congress) must be judged in Congress.

And Congress really doesn't like setting that precedent when it could mean they get nailed for it. The lack of an independent body to handle such things as well as the whole sovereign immunity thing government agents and the government have is a major detriment to holding them accountable.
(11-27-2017, 08:47 PM)hazard Wrote: Main issue is that the President (and members of Congress) must be judged in Congress.

What, you don't have separation of powers by branch? Members of the legislative and executive branches can't be tried by the Supreme Court?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-27-2017, 10:11 PM)robkelk Wrote: What, you don't have separation of powers by branch? Members of the legislative and executive branches can't be tried by the Supreme Court?

Yup. The Supreme Court strictly speaking doesn't hear criminal justice cases either. They determine whether or not the case was pursued within the bounds of the law in previous rulings and procedures, the Supreme Court's job is to concern itself with the finer points of determining where the break lines are in case of unclear law.
Mentioned in another thread, but also apropos here: TIME's Person of the Year
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown