Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Becoming more politically active…
Becoming more politically active…
There's plenty of advice on the web about how to become more involved in politics, particularly if you have more time than money… and they all start with volunteering at the local branch of your political party. So, my question, does anyone here have any ideas for how to become more politically active when you're so far outside the Overton Window politically that neither party wants you?
RE: Becoming more politically active…
Write to your state representatives and your Congresscritters.

Also, as an honest question, in what manner do you not fit the Overton Window?

Also also, given you do not fit the Overton Window you want to have very good arguments as to why your position is a good position. Also polish your debating skills so you can dismantle any opposing arguments properly.
(12-20-2017, 05:40 AM)hazard Wrote: Write to your state representatives and your Congresscritters.

Also, as an honest question, in what manner do you not fit the Overton Window?

I think I mentioned it before on the old forum, when I asked if I was even allowed to post in the politics section, or if my views would get me insta-banned like they do many other places, but to repeat, I am at once an unchurched atheist, and at the same time so far Far-Right that I'm right-wing by the original definition: I'm a monarchist — and not just "constitutional monarchy," but one in which the monarch does not just reign but rule and the hereditary aristocracy is also powerful. I am against pretty much every modern form of "equality", and favor a Confucian-flavored sort of explicit social hierarchy (Confucianism sees society as being a network formed of five basic kinds of bonds between people, four of which are explicitly hierarchical). I'm a fan of Arnold Amalric (of "kill them all, let God sort them out" fame), the Inquisitions, and the Crusades. I think the American Revolution was a mistake and the "Founding Fathers" vile traitors all. In short, by the standards of probably everyone else here, I'm some kind of evil super-villain.

Quote:Also also, given you do not fit the Overton Window you want to have very good arguments as to why your position is a good position. Also polish your debating skills so you can dismantle any opposing arguments properly.

Any good ideas for how I can polish those debating skills?
(12-20-2017, 06:24 AM)TheTwisted1 Wrote: Any good ideas for how I can polish those debating skills?

Learning how to make a good speech is a subset of learning how to debate - you need to put together a coherent argument and state it in a clear and concise way. (Speeches don't usually have point and counterpoint, though.) Toastmasters gives classes in this - is there a chapter where you live?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I'm not so sure neither party wants you, at least in the US right now.

They may not say they want you, but with the way the Trump presidency is going, well...

Let's just say that going from dictatorship to monarchy only takes three generations of unquestioned rule.
I really have no suitable answer to OP.  I have no idea how to bring about that kind of change, or find others who would be into that.  Maybe hang around beer halls in Munich?

Having gotten involved with the local branch of my political party, I would recommend people against getting involved with the local branch of a political party.  If you're thinking of running for something, you have to be involved in the party; if you're good at fundraising, you probably should be.  But outside that, there are more effective and fun ways by finding a PAC with a larger grassroots arm.  For liberals, that's Indivisible or MoveOn.  Or find a candidate you like, and volunteer for them.

(Not implying you're a Nazi, there were plenty of anarchists and communists in that milleu too.)
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(12-20-2017, 06:32 PM)Labster Wrote: I really have no suitable answer to OP.  I have no idea how to bring about that kind of change, or find others who would be into that.  Maybe hang around beer halls in Munich?

Having gotten involved with the local branch of my political party, I would recommend people against getting involved with the local branch of a political party.  If you're thinking of running for something, you have to be involved in the party; if you're good at fundraising, you probably should be.  But outside that, there are more effective and fun ways by finding a PAC with a larger grassroots arm.  For liberals, that's Indivisible or MoveOn.  Or find a candidate you like, and volunteer for them.

(Not implying you're a Nazi, there were plenty of anarchists and communists in that milleu too.)

Except that "PACs with a larger grassroots arm" seem to be entirely a left-wing thing. There is no "right-wing MoveOn"; right-wing orgs seem to all be "think-tanks" and/or just looking for money. And none appear to be truly far-right.

And don't worry about implying I'm a Nazi, I'm used to being outright called that and worse, and treated like human scum that deserves a slow, painful death, by most folks I ever discuss politics with. (Except perhaps the "alt-right" types, who are more likely to denounce me as a "paid Jewish infiltrator" when I criticize their "God-Emperor Trump" nonsense and point out how their ridiculous plans for "one neat trick" to "totally defeat the Left" cannot possibly work.)

Hazard,

Come off it. The "Trump as Caesar" narrative is ridiculous when the "Alt-Right" types push it, and it's ridiculous when the Left pushes it. And contrary to what some loud voices keep saying, local Republican offices are not jam-full of "fascists" just salivating to commit mass-murder. Instead, they're pretty much the same-old "establishment" sort content to play the Washington Generals to the Democrats' Harlem Globetrotters. And I'm just as much anathema to them as I am to the Democrats.
Really?

Have you listened to some of Trump's staff, as well as Trump, when it comes to how the president aught to be regarded?

As in, not to be questioned because he is great, powerful and willing to use it to force his subjects to serve him?

If that's not a statement that President Trump should be considered an absolute ruler who is to be obeyed blindly regardless of fact I don't know what is.

The way the Republicans are acting in regards to their donor class (and isn't that a loaded term) the formation of an aristocracy might well be underway. One that's not necessarily based on rank, or titles, but on money, and hereditary money at that. Facilitated by the passing along of specific, highly paying jobs in the business sphere. All the benefits of being an effective aristocracy without the bother of actually ruling the rabble; you just toss money at the politicians in charge and they'll do what you tell them to regardless of the population's wishes.

It might not be what you are wanting, but what you say you want? To some extent it's becoming true.

We'll just have to see if the general public will accept it, and if they don't accept it, if they can do anything about it.
Hazard,

Bullshit.

That is it, I am Done with you.

I should have known better than to even bother asking the original question here.
@hazard I'm going to apply my political stock phrase, "but it's more complicated than that." While I think that Trump himself thinks he wants a sort of monarchy (he named his son Baron ffs), a true monarchy is not what he really wants, nor is he competent enough to get what he does want. The Deep State interprets his dictatorial style as damage and routes around it.

As far as I remember TheTwisted wants a feudal, Magna Carta era monarchy, correct? More local control with a national monarch? That's not really Trump's vision at all, his is just large scale nationalism and cult of personality. Not the same thing at all.

@TheTwisted: Don't take it personally. Really.

I just don't know how to help you; no one else in my bubble has asked me about this kind of thing. I don't know where to find people with common ground with you. I knew some communists in college, but I never regarded what they were doing as effective. I don't believe that large scale revolution is ever effective; the American Revolution was so successful precisely because it changed so little. So the only advice I really have is to work on small changes that push the world towards your vision. I want a large government welfare wing with UBI and single-payer health, but I work to help Obamacare because that's one more step on the treadmill -- a way to transition large insurance carriers from consumers-driven to a being government service contractors.

Leadership is about carrying the whole vision from the mountaintop with you, but about always seeing the next step in front of you. So, find the next step.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto