Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Very Stable Genius
A Very Stable Genius
I'll go ahead and reprint Dear Leader's tweet in full:

CNN quoting @realDonaldTrump Wrote:"Throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart," tweeted Trump. "Crooked Hillary Clinton also played these cards very hard and, as everyone knows, went down in flames. I went from VERY successful businessman, to top T.V. Star to President of the United States (on my first try). I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

So uh, is this the thing that a sane person would say about himself?  I feel like the next line after calling oneself a "very stable genius" is, "I'll show them, I'll show them all!!!"

For those of you lacking context, Michael Wolff released a book last week compiling hundreds of interviews in the White House.  In this book, basically everything we thought was going on is actually going on in the White House.  The one thing everyone agrees on is that Trump has to be managed like a child, but there are plenty of other choice complaints going around.  A lot of "unfit for office" (from his own people, remember), lots of screaming matches, lots of pictures in the national security reports so Trump will look at them.  Trump is uh, very unhappy with the book.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
RE: A Very Stable Genius
Just his first sentence indicate to me that Trump is, in fact, at best of middling intelligence. His need to repeatedly claim that he's smart and mentally stable tell me that he's probably not.
(01-07-2018, 03:41 AM)Labster Wrote: So uh, is this the thing that a sane person would say about himself? 

Oh please, I tell people I'm sane all the time! It helps lull them into a false sense of security. I mean, uh...

Seriously though, as much as I despise Trump, and generally make fun of his incredible ego and twisted view of the world, this is much worse than that. At this point, I honestly believe your president is coming apart at the seams. Full nervous breakdown, at best. I don't say that out of some sense of amusement, it is honestly worrying to see this guy imploding in front of the world, and no one in a position to do so seems to be willing to step in and do something about it. Is your government that messed up at the moment that this man will destroy himself, and potentially drag everyone else down with him, and nothing can or will be done?
(01-07-2018, 07:42 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: Seriously though, as much as I despise Trump, and generally make fun of his incredible ego and twisted view of the world, this is much worse than that. At this point, I honestly believe your president is coming apart at the seams. Full nervous breakdown, at best. I don't say that out of some sense of amusement, it is honestly worrying to see this guy imploding in front of the world, and no one in a position to do so seems to be willing to step in and do something about it. Is your government that messed up at the moment that this man will destroy himself, and potentially drag everyone else down with him, and nothing can or will be done?

Unfortunately, that answer looks to be yes; to take him out of power would require the Republicans to admit that They Done Fucked Up with their efforts to insulate themselves from being voted out of power.

Plus, he's been a (somewhat) useful distraction as they try to do some of what they've always wanted to do, and that's hand the country over to the corporate overlords. Anything they manage to dismantle will take four times the effort to reimplement as it took to implement the first time.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
I'm not sure about that; there appears to be a shift occurring in the demographics of the voting base in the US with fewer people associating themselves with the Republicans while the Democrats are seeing an increase in membership, especially among young people. Which is the part of the population where the Republicans are suffering the worst.

The Trump presidency, especially if Trump publicly melts down, would cast a long shadow that Republicans will find difficult to get rid off.
Alright here's the thing from my perspective. What everyone is seeing happen in US politics is the death rattle of the two party system as the extremes of each party take control and push the others out. Right now though the question is in the Republican party, is it going to be the elite Washington power brokers that get the party or the conservative/ populists
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(01-07-2018, 03:41 AM)Labster Wrote:
CNN quoting @realDonaldTrump Wrote:... and being, like, really smart ...

Only two groups of people talks like that: Valley Girls, and people of below-average-intelligence.

CNN quoting @realDonaldTrump Wrote:...and a very stable genius at that!"

I understood that there was no such thing. (And I say that knowing that I have a Mensa-level IQ.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
"Can we not, like ban that book,"

"Uh, no Mr. President, the second amendment prevents that..."

"You said this morning it was the First,"

"Freudian slip, Mr. President,."

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(01-07-2018, 10:19 AM)robkelk Wrote:
CNN quoting @realDonaldTrump Wrote:... and being, like, really smart ...

Only two groups of people talks like that: Valley Girls, and people of below-average-intelligence.
Well, President Windrip's probably grabbed lots of Valley Girls by the pussy, or at least fantasized about doing so.

Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds!

Fake news, but it warms my heart.

According to Wolff, inside the White House they rate Trump's actions by how Twenty-fifth Amendment it feels.  That being the amendment about removing a president for being unable to do the job.

The important thing to know about his book is that it's definitely a gossip book, but there are also interviews in there that provide good information that no one knew before.  The other thing to consider is that most journalists can't stomach the people in the White House long enough to sit there and listen to all of their crap.  So to get the scoop, it pretty much has to be a muckraker.  Tracking the shifting power machinations of boring rich white men is kinda Michael Wolff's thing; it's unusual that we actually care this time.  So that's the best inside look we'll get until the special prosecutor's report comes out.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Also important; no matter how unreliable the source is in general, what he reported and can be corroborated properly rings true with what was already known about the Trump administration.

Not all of what's written in that book may be true, but the things that we can prove are true paint a worrisome picture.
Just heard on the radio this morning -- the book's already going into a second printing.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I've been lead to believe that it sold out its first print run in both the USA and Canada on the day of release.

So... Has anybody actually read the book?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
CBC News: Here's how the 25th Amendment could remove Trump from office — and why it won't happen
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
One more wisecrack about the "stable genius" bit.  Long ago in 1984 (no, dinosaurs didn't walk the Earth back then), a sergeant I worked with used to sometimes tell people, "I'm normal."  Unlike President Windrip, this sergeant was making a joke, and would promptly follow up with, "Know why I say I'm normal?  Because nobody else will."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
(blows dust off thread)

I recall, back when he was still running for President, I compared Trump to a cartoon character: "I am Donald J. Trump, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht."

I jst realized I had the wrong character: "Donald J. Trump - stable genius... I like the sound of that. 'Donald J. Trump - stable genius.'"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown