Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why would you think there's a connection?
Why would you think there's a connection?
A few weeks after Democrat Doug Jones defeated Roy Moore in a special election for an Alabama Senate seat, the Republican majority in the Alabama House of Representatives voted to end special elections.

Purely coincidental, I'm sure.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Why would you think there's a connection?
Most assuredly none of these fine, upstanding gentlemen of the Alabama House of Representatives would even consider abusing their power to better keep control of the government.

Still, the only really objectionable part to this bill is, to my eyes, the cut off date. IIRC US Congress Senators serve 6 year terms, but under this law an Alabaman Senator that was kicked out or resigned can practically guarantee that for at least a year a handpicked replacement will continue to serve. And that while 3 months is plenty to run an election campaign.

And as you noted, the timing is extremely suspicious.
The bill does still need to go to the state Senate.

Maybe - just maybe - we might be pleasantly surprised by what happens there. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for some "sober second thought".
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
This is the state where it was perfectly legal to be in the legislature one day, resign and then be a lobbyist until 5 years. Ago. A state that preempted any city crass to raise the minimum wage. A state where it is gerrymandered to hell and back. Any sort of change toward the center is not welcomed by the GOP.