Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, that got expensive....
Well, that got expensive....
So the heating system in the family holiday home was prone to sucking up air. And because the goober who'd plumbed the fucking cunt had put the main circulator on the outlet from the boiler - it was also prone to airlocking very easily and going dead.

Now, the correct method to bleed the system is to crack a fitting on the top of the boiler, open the mains fill pipe and regulate the pressurisation valve to push the air out the cracked fitting.

This involved taking the entire boiler casing off, outside, in the cold. And cracking the fitting, outside, in the cold. Then, running back inside, dicking with the valve, and running back down to the fitting which is now pouring either superheated, or freezing cold water, tightening it, running back in to close the valve, then back out again to refit all the boiler casing.

A lot of fucking around, so.

But. There was a pressure relief valve on the boiler case with an overflow pipe piped outside. Visible from where the pressurisation valve is through a window.

So, instead, I just pushed the pressurisation valve wide-open and watched the gauge climb. Normally at about 3.6 the PRV would go and it'd blast the air out of the top of the boiler, and I could close it down when I saw water and let the pressure settle back down.

It worked handy enough every time I did it. Quick and easy.

Up until Sunday.

When I pushed the pressure up to 3.odd and the guage just dropped.... with nothing at all coming from the vent pipe.

It settled at half a bar, with full flow through pressuriser valve. Which pretty much meant half a bar pressure loss from mains to where the water was now pissing out of the system.

It blew a joint under the fucking floor somewhere. Now the floors have to come up. Concrete has to be dug, and a metric fuckton of pipe needs to be replaced.

Fucking cunt.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RE: Well, that got expensive....
Ah, geeze, Dartz. That sucks bigtime.

We nearly had to do something similar some years back. Folks might remember the winter when our furnace went out. The first HVAC guy who looked at it said that one of the ducts in our slab foundation had collapsed and we'd have to replace the entire furnace and ducting with a completely new system in the attic.

Fortunately the second guy we talked to said, "your heat exchanger is cracked, and it's still under warranty, so the fix will cost you nothing but shipping time and labor costs."

I trust you've already gotten your second opinion?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Well, that got expensive....
I this case I don't need one. Arguably, I know better than the second opinion and I've the equipment to find it if it did let go. I just need to wait until the weekend.

A hot-air systems seems odd though - I've never seen one done here in Ireland . We do the ventilation alright but we never put coils in the system for heating or cooling, it's air only. Closest thing might be FCU's but those're radiator replacements.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.