Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New installs of Ubuntu want your private data
New installs of Ubuntu want your private data
The Register: Ubuntu wants to slurp PCs' vital statistics – even location – with new desktop installs - Data harvest notice will be checked by default

Also, software will be installed "to spot trends in package usage and help us to focus on the packages which are of most value to our users" and "to automatically send anonymous crash reports without user interruption."

So... which Linux distros are good nowadays? With this stunt, Ubuntu just took itself off that list, IMHO.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: New installs of Ubuntu want your private data
When I use Linux, it's either linux Mint, Fedora or Manjaro.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Didn't they already do this with Amazon?
I thought the Amazon implementation was opt-in , not opt-out...?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I'm not sure 'opt out' is legal in the Netherlands when it comes to private information handling.
(02-16-2018, 12:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: I thought the Amazon implementation was opt-in , not opt-out...?

Originally it was enabled by default, then they changed it after the outcry.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Go ahead and check this list: https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

The only one of those that I've heard of is PureOS.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor