Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Trade wars are good, and easy to win,' Trump tweets
RE: 'Trade wars are good, and easy to win,' Trump tweets
(06-04-2018, 01:58 PM)robkelk Wrote: Sanctions against the POTUS, or the "blue" "red" states?

I've already decided to spend the extra money and buy Philippine pineapple juice instead of Florida orange juice for my breakfast drink while the tariffs are in effect. (I like having some pulp in the juice, which we just don't get in apple juice any more.) Similarly, Nova Scotia rum is replacing Kentucky bourbon in my drinks cabinet.

(EDITed because I got the colour wrong. The USA does this thing in reverse as far as Canada is concerned.)

Since I haven't said this yet, I should make this clear: I have no enmity toward the people of the USA. Your President has made it clear that your country does not want my country's money, so I am being polite and accommodating you in that.

Our countervailing duties go into effect tomorrow. We're targeting items made in "red" states (you vote for him, you get the consequences) that have easily-sourced replacements. A large fraction of the funds raised this way will be going straight into the unemployment insurance system. A smaller fraction will be spent on re-engineering the steel and aluminum product supply chains so that items don't need to cross the border multiple times (and be subject to multiple tariffs) during the manufacturing process.

As for personal measures (the "home front" in this trade war): I've found a grocery that stocks orange juice from Mexico, so I don't need to switch to pineapple juice and I can help support an ally in this war. I've already switched from Heinz ketchup to a locally-made brand, and the flavour difference is noticeable - I'm staying with the local brand even after this mess is finished one way or another, even though it costs more and I need to drive 45 minutes out of my way to get it. And I've never knowingly bought maple syrup produced outside of Ontario and Quebec, but I'm stopping purchases of maple-flavoured items that don't specifically say they're made with Canadian maple syrup.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'Trade wars are good, and easy to win,' Trump tweets - by robkelk - 06-30-2018, 07:53 AM