Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it just my imagination....
Is it just my imagination....
...Or are things at a REALLY low ebb in the Other People's Fanfiction forum?  I've been going through and making sure everything's 'been read' by either actually reading them or just marking them as such, and I barely see any activity beyond the Batzulger and the regular update threads.
RE: Is it just my imagination....
Currently yes it is unfortunately, myself I've had my muse shanghaid by some nsfw content and am building up a buffer of it to start posting it at QQ
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

It's quiet there, yes.

For me, it's because this is fiscal year-end at work; I doubt I'll have time to write for at least another week or two.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Worked 70 hours this week, have to work more today, weeks not over. MS launches company-wide on Monday and one of my coworkers quit last week with zero notice, so we're kinda freaking out. Not really a good environment for writing, or even for looking for new stuff to read.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I'm pretty much not able to do fucking anything due to work.

And I'm fairly fucking drunk at a con atm

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(03-24-2018, 06:54 PM)Dartz Wrote: I'm pretty much not able to do fucking anything due to work.

lucky bastard
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

AGHGGG WRITERS BLOCK AHHHH!
(03-24-2018, 01:48 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Currently yes it is unfortunately,  myself I've had my muse shanghaid by some nsfw content and am building up a buffer of it to start posting it at QQ

Shoot me a link when it goes up.  I'd love to see whatcha got cooking.

(03-24-2018, 03:51 PM)robkelk Wrote: It's quiet there, yes.

For me, it's because this is fiscal year-end at work; I doubt I'll have time to write for at least another week or two.

(03-24-2018, 06:07 PM)Labster Wrote: Worked 70 hours this week, have to work more today, weeks not over. MS launches company-wide on Monday and one of my coworkers quit last week with zero notice, so we're kinda freaking out. Not really a good environment for writing, or even for looking for new stuff to read.

(03-24-2018, 06:54 PM)Dartz Wrote: I'm pretty much not able to do fucking anything due to work.

A feel you guys there.  At the very least we're gainfully employed.

And Dartz: what Rajvic said.  Lucky bastard.  Wink

(03-25-2018, 02:04 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: AGHGGG WRITERS BLOCK AHHHH!

I know this pain.

You might as well ping us in the fanfiction forum.  Maybe one of us can do something to help you crack that nut.
I, sadly, seem to have no tales left to tell. Or so I believe.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
my muse was able to focus on BROBd long enough to finish the damn linking setup that i needed to get to what i had already written, now maybe i can keep it interested long enough to finish the last two chapters of this world
Currently writing BROBd

And now the hangover. Spending most of one's con funds on alcohol is not the best of ideas - but most of what was there was just a fuckton of Funko pops.

I'm pretty sure work has nuked any ability I had to be creative, even in work

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

StarRanger4 Wrote:I, sadly, seem to have no tales left to tell. Or so I believe.
This is one of the saddest things I've ever read.  Can you explain how a person could be left in such a state, preferably in short story form?
(03-26-2018, 04:25 PM)Labster Wrote:
StarRanger4 Wrote:I, sadly, seem to have no tales left to tell. Or so I believe.
This is one of the saddest things I've ever read.  Can you explain how a person could be left in such a state, preferably in short story form?
Dunno about star, but when I have that feeling it's because I think of things that might be stories, but they're the same as sevel others I can think of without any worthwhile twist on the formula, or I'm bored and thinking I should grind one of my Disgaea characters more or get online and read something because nothing occurs to me to daydream about, or I'm looking at some of my old stories or notes and think, "Wow, I wonder if they wrote any more of this," only to remember that no, I didn't.

It comes and goes, but it's a fact that I haven't ouput more than a scene fragment or two for anything in over a decade now, even when my standards for originality dropped to the point of jumpchain SIs or HP peggy sue fix-it-by-numbers. Visual art seems to still be popping, though, and I don't seem to have trouble making up backstories to go with it usually. It's not the same thing though.
--
‎noli esse culus
(03-26-2018, 08:00 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: It comes and goes, but it's a fact that I haven't ouput more than a scene fragment or two for anything in over a decade now, even when my standards for originality dropped to the point of jumpchain SIs or HP peggy sue fix-it-by-numbers. Visual art seems to still be popping, though, and I don't seem to have trouble making up backstories to go with it usually. It's not the same thing though.

Which reminds me that I had a Fenspace story going for which I was rendering an image for each post. I must get back to that.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I wouldn't worry so much about putting a new twist on a story; grade of execution truly matters.  Half of Shakespeare's stories are historical fiction retelling well known events.  But, you know, he was just better at storytelling.  And it happens to me all the time when I'm watching sci-fi, where I think, "Wow, the concept was really good, but this is still [bad/meh/not great]."

I guess I've never really faced strong writer's block.  I always have ideas, even if they're not for the right story.  Every time I get an idea or plot thread or joke, I write it down in a story file.  Jokes are important -- remember the idea for Dirty Pair was essentially based on a joke. And then it just becomes a battle for my attention: when do I have time to write, and if so what's going to get some love?  I've got plenty of ideas, all the way down to that one complete rewrite of Kiddy Grade I have in a few notes on from 2013 (except episode 11, ep 11 is perfect as-is).  Will it get my attention?  Probably not.  It's a question of what wants to be written so badly that it's pushing me to write.  And barring that, text that links up those urgent sections together into a proper plot.
Man, Kiddy Grade. I watched it and it was pretty animation, but my main impression of the rest was "they really, really wanted to remake Dirty Pair" so funny you mention it in the same post, and in the context of execution being more important than originality as such.
I should watch Dirty Pair again. Could do with something cheerful.

The more I think about it, the more I realise my ability to create is starting to rot and turn bad. Participation and integration is thinning out to the bare minium, trying to participate with what's left after a hole day's been burned. And even then the only ideas that're coming up are fairly bleak with a wormfic on the slow boil that's been described as the most depressing thing ever and that it's starting to seem utterly impossible for someone like Jet to get a 'happy' ending

Most of my creative efforts, such as they are, have been going into sculpting miniatures of late. I now have two fleets that I'm professionally responsible for and may be getting another soon.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(03-29-2018, 09:12 AM)ECSNorway Wrote: Most of my creative efforts, such as they are, have been going into sculpting miniatures of late. I now have two fleets that I'm professionally responsible for and may be getting another soon.

What kind of fleets? what game/etc are they for?
(03-29-2018, 12:38 PM)Norgarth Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 09:12 AM)ECSNorway Wrote: Most of my creative efforts, such as they are, have been going into sculpting miniatures of late. I now have two fleets that I'm professionally responsible for and may be getting another soon.

What kind of fleets? what game/etc are they for?

Star Fleet Battles. I'm sculpting the Lyrans and I've just taken over the Hydrans as the sculptor there has dropped out of touch.

Check out "ADBInc" on Shapeways.com for all sorts of new goodness, in both 3788 (Starline 2400) and 3125 (Starline 2500) scales.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.