Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2018 "complain about the weather" thread
The 2018 "complain about the weather" thread
May as well start a new thread for a new year (because I can't be bothered to dig down and find the old one).

The Ottawa forecast for tonight is for 60km/h winds with gusts to 90km/h - Beaufort 9 - and snow followed by freezing rain. Good thing I haven't put the shovels away yet, and I still have some ice melter.

(Kingston, Ontario is expecting gusts of up to 100km/h tonight - Beaufort 9-10. Being at the east end of one of the Great Lakes is a mixed blessing.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: The 2018 "complain about the weather" thread
We had six inches of snow yesterday morning.

It was mostly melted by 5 PM that afternoon.

Today, it's raining and 40 degrees F.

Tomorrow it'll be thunderstorms and 68 F.

Thursday it'll be sunny and in the 40s again.

I'm expecting us to actually have spring around lunchtime on May 5th.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Followed by summer around afternoon tea and the dead of winter after sundown Bob?
Nah, Summer will start after lunch, when temperatures will hit the 90s F and stay there until mid-October. Somewhere around 9 in the morning on October 12th, it'll be fall for about half an hour, then plunge into winter. Which will either be weekly snowstorms until the next April, or unusually warm from Halloween to Easter.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(04-03-2018, 07:10 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Nah, Summer will start after lunch, when temperatures will hit the 90s F and stay there until mid-October.  Somewhere around 9 in the morning on October 12th, it'll be fall for about half an hour, then plunge into winter.  Which will either be weekly snowstorms until the next April, or unusually warm from Halloween to Easter.

That's basically been the past... 4 or so winters in the Netherlands. It's been a matter of some concern here.
I just found out -- more snow likely coming Friday-Saturday.
-- Bob

This is a good trick: Tonight's forecast for Ottawa is -11°C with "Periods of snow or rain".

How do we get rain at -11°C (12°F)?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-04-2018, 11:44 AM)robkelk Wrote: This is a good trick: Tonight's forecast for Ottawa is -11°C with "Periods of snow or rain".

How do we get rain at -11°C (12°F)?

Warm layer of air on top that snow drops through and melts.
(04-04-2018, 11:29 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I just found out -- more snow likely coming Friday-Saturday.

Correction.  Rain on Friday, shifting to rain and snow Friday night; some areas might get hit with thunderstorms and 60mph winds.  A 50-50 chance of snow over the weekend, but an inch is expected on Saturday, and if it doesn't turn to rain the snow might intermittently continue through Monday morning.  Joy.
-- Bob

Three brownouts yesterday due to wind -- thank Ghu for UPS's -- and now there's snow on the ground.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Heh. 29F when I got up this morning. Today's high expected to be 52F. Tomorrow's high, 67F. Friday's high, 79F. And Saturday should break 80F, before plunging back down to the 50s on Sunday.
-- Bob

Freezing rain (ice storm) warning for the St. Lawrence River area this weekend.
EDIT: The upper St. Lawrence, from Lake Ontario halfway to Montreal.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Whereas I am not only sweating (80-90 f) but am sweating the fact that the jeans and jackets have been put away in favor of shorts and really thin camisole style tops.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
For most of the past week, 8 degrees in the early morning (call it 7 o'clock), which is fairly brisk, and it climbs to 20-24 degrees in the afternoon. Which is basically t-shirt weather here in the Netherlands.
Hmm... Maybe we should specify what temperature scale we're using when citing numbers. It took me a minute to realize that Hazard was using the Celsius scale. Silly ol' American me defaults to Fahrenheit.
Here in southeast Michigan, it's been raining all of yesterday and most of last night ... and just now I looked out my window and noticed an odd "grayness" to a strip of lawn.  Peering at a shrub closer to hand, I saw that its smaller twigs are encased in a thin layer of ice.  Did I mention that the temperature was up around the (Fahrenheit) 60s on Thursday and Friday?
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
80 F yesterday, snow showers tomorrow. We've had more snow since the start of spring than we did all actual winter here in Kentucky.
*edit to include actual location...*
We got that ice storm last night, and we're still getting freezing rain as I type this. School buses are not running. Power lines are down in multiple locations.

If the forecast is correct, the freezing rain will become rain some time around noon - which means water on ice, which will make road and sidewalk conditions even worse.

I'm seriously considering taking a day off.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, as I said last week, it went from 80s F to 45F overnight Saturday-to-Sunday, and today, like a lot of the Atlantic states, we have torrential rain and 45F. We're supposed to go up to the mid-high 60s F this afternoon as the rain sweeps past us, and back up into the 80s again by Wednesday.
-- Bob

Blue Jays game postponed after ice falls off the CN Tower and tears a hole in the Skydome's roof. (They're playing a double-header today to make up for the called game.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's snowing.

It's April 19.

It's snowing.

[Image: Dorktower1449a.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's April 19th.

Also, the thermometer only just didn't hit 30 degrees Centigrade here in the Netherlands. And last night it was only 10 degrees, at its warmest.

Now, April is known to get a bit... uneven at times. But this is still unusually warm, especially after a winter that, while not 'plan for an Elfstedentocht' cold was definitely fairly chilly and long.
Yeah, and we're going from "light jacket 60s" the past couple of days to "rain, 50s, and then some snow" to start the weekend. Oh, and 50-60 mph wind gusts on Tuesday. At least one of the flowers in the front yard flower bed got bent over permanently.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
And yesterday: in the 70s and sunny. Today: mid 30s and snowing. Tomorrow: Expected to be in the 60s and sunny again.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
(blows snow dust off thread)

It snowed in Newfoundland yesterday.

Gander, NL, June 26:
[Image: gander-snow-in-june.jpg]

Moving toward Central Canada (roughly due north of the US Eastern Seaboard), the forecast for this weekend for Ottawa is high temperatures near blood temperature on July 1.

Huh
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown