Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books you are reading.
Books you are reading.
So, two weeks ago I decided to scrap my Facebook account and re-invest that time into getting back into the habit of reading books.

Before 2013, I used to read between two and four books per month and plan to build up to that again, hopefully.

Right now I am finishing Cal Newport's Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World which actually was the kick in the pants I needed to finally kill the Facebook hydra.

Feel free to add books you are currently reading to this thread or any recommendations. Me? I read biographies, religious studies, philosophy (Love the ____and Philosophy books), manga, graphic novels, sci-fi, fantasy, science, even romance novels if they are interesting enough.

Can also add audiobooks if that is your preferred way to consume them.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
RE: Books you are reading.
Currently been reading through M D Cooper's 'Aeon 14' series, the start of which deals with the trials and tribulations of a nearly-ready-to-depart STL interstellar colony ship. Several volumes later, they eventually do arrive at their destination, sorta. And that's when things -really- get complicated.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Just started The Cavalier in the Yellow Doublet, fifth in the Captain Alatriste series.

For several months, I'd fallen behind on my reading while continuing to buy, so I had a lot of books — more than twelve at one point (or was it more than fifteen?) — waiting to be read.  That backlog's gone ... for now.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Let's see - in the last two months or so.
Errant Gods by Erik Henry Vick - not bad -
Wildwoods Boys by James Carlos Blake - best novel about a backwoods, murdering, sister diddling thief I will likely read this year.
MJ-12 Shadows by Michael Martinez - neat idea - pretty solid executions -but missing a spark somewhere.
Brothers in Arms - Kareen Abjul Jabber - a great read about the history of the sole black tank brigade in the Second World War.
Jack of Diamonds by Bryce Courtenay - Not his best work - but it is Bryce fuck-mothering Courtenay - always worth a read.
Precinct Siberia - P. J. Ochlan - Hard, ugly, gritty, police drama.  Spillaine would have loved it.
For Love of Mother Not by Alan Dean Foster - a book of my youth - still worth a read, but your mileage will vary.
A whack of Destroyer Novels - because Remo and Chiun.
The first four Soul Eater novels by DaCosta - not great, but cheap like the budgie - so I got my money's worth.
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare for Damien Lewis - great read - two thumbs way up.
Corpies - Drew Hayes - I you haven't read his Superpowered Series - do yourself a favor and snap up all four.
Super Powereeds Year 4: This series is about as good as the supers genre gets -
Donald Jack - Three cheers for me - revisiting the Bandy Papers - good Canadian fun.
Red Rising - Golden Son, Morning Star - by Pierce Brown - great ideas, great implementation, protagonist is a knob end.

I probably missed a few hear and there.

Oh and Audiobooks during the same time
The Sherlock Holmes Definitive Collection as read by Stephen Fry
The Historical Jesus (12.5) hours by Bart Ehrman
Decisive Battles of World History (18.5 Hours)
The Vikings (18 hours)
The Other side of History - Daily Life (Robert Garland) 25.5 hours - a great series of lectures.
Also recently been enjoying the "Fox Meridian" series, by Niall Teasedale. Near-future police procedurals, very cyberpunkish feel to them. A lot of focus on transhumanism, rights and psychology of artificial beings, politics of privatized policing, and terrorism in the age of weaponized memetics. Good stuff.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
On audiobook, I am finishing Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow

Found it very interesting. The book is about what goes on in the subconscious processes of our brains and how they affect our behavior, sometimes without us being aware of it at all.

Today I am starting The Wolf by Leo Carew

From the summary: Violence and death come to the land under the Northern Sky when two fierce races break their age-old fragile peace and start an all-out war.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Well, I have went back to some older works that I finally got around to picking up.

The stories by James H. Scmitz collected into 4 volumes:
Telzey Amberdon
TNT: Telzey and Trigger
Trigger & Friends
The Hub: Dangerous Territory
Oh, the Telzey books were a favorite of mine when I first discovered them in the late 70s/early 80s. They're very Golden Age of SF in many ways, the stories having been written just about at the end of that era. Not that that's bad in any way! And the things Schmitz did with psionics... wow. Some of that has stuck with me all these decades, influencing the way I look at both psi and magic in my own writing.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....