Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stormy seas ahead for Trump's Lawyer
RE: Stormy seas ahead for Trump's Lawyer
There are a lot of GOP congresspeople telling him not to try it, because it'll be a disaster for him and the party. It'll be the Saturday Night Massacre all over again and a tacit admission of guilt. After all, as so many on that side of the aisle are fond of saying in different circumstances, if he's got nothing to hide why is he so worked up? And no matter what comes of it, the GOP's reputation as the party of "law and order" is destroyed; it's just the degree of destruction that's uncertain. After all, it's hard not to read this, no matter the spin, as "the FBI has no right to investigate rich white folks for any kind of crime; they're supposed to go after Democrats and poor non-white folks."

And as I understand it, the way Mueller's appointment was set up, only Rosenstein can actually fire him. Trump can try to shut him down by fiat, but Mueller can actually ignore it and then it'll go to the courts. And the judiciary doesn't relish getting in the middle of that potential mess. Trump can also try to fire everyone between himself and Mueller, and then appoint people who'll jump when he says to, but that'll still be too long for Trump's delicate sensibilities.

On top of that, according to CBS radio news this morning, there's a bipartisan bill just submitted in Congress to protect Mueller from Trump. I've been looking for a news story online about that and can't find one, though, so I'm wondering what's actually going on.

Edit: Found one.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stormy seas ahead for Trump's Lawyer - by Bob Schroeck - 04-12-2018, 12:33 PM