Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Korean Conflict to Finally End?
Korean Conflict to Finally End?
Multiple news sources are reporting that North and South Korea will be declaring a permanent end to the state of war which has existed between them since 1950, and defortifying the DMZ.

CNBC
USA Today
Bloomberg.com
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Korean Conflict to Finally End?
They're all citing the same story in South Korea's Munwha Ilbo newspaper, who got it from an unnamed official.

So... I want this to be true, but I won't hold my breath waiting.

EDIT: And there's no mention of this in AP's story "Trump to host Japan's Abe at Mar-a-Lago amid strain over North Korea, tariffs"
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
North Korea is still under economic sanctions for their testing of missiles over the Sea of Japan. A peace treaty ending the Korean War will not change that. That said, i'll believe it when i see the DMZ come down and the North NOT try to invade the south
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Reuters has confirmation from named people that this process is happening.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We'll see. We'll see...
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
South Korea shuts off propaganda blasts as 2 sides near summit talks

Because who can have a meaningful conversation over all that noise?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And yet the North is still running theirs
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Of course they are.

They are no more sincere than any other dictatorship.
Also, I hear that the North is showing absolutely no signs of putting away their big boy toys.
Well, it looks like they've closed their nuke research facility. (Apparently because the mountain collapsed from being blown up too many times, but still.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Pffft!
Well. Looks like it's really happening. Either that, or the Norks are putting on a real good show for some reason.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I am glad that this is happening and hopefully it will lead to some measure of peace.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
The border will open.

Millions will start to stream across to the South seeking food and a better life.

Landmines in the DMZ will be removed soon after.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
More than one commentator has noted that the Koreas have reached this point several times before, only to have things blow up over trivial issues. I would love to see this come to pass, but the question still remains -- what does the absolute dictator of the North expect to get out of it? He can't seriously be expecting to be put in charge of both Koreas, and I think it's unlikely he's simply going to yield power.

Then again, and this is an odd thought I had, he's young, he's been educated in the West, and he's only been in power for a few years, which have been... messy. Could it be he is more tired of the regime than invested in it? Could the various purges he's made in the last few years have been preparation for something like this, instead of consolidating his power for the long run? Honestly, I don't think so, but if I squint and tilt my head, I could just about see it being possible.
-- Bob

Maybe Kim Jong Un is taking advantage of the fact that he's no longer in the running for "world's craziest world leader" these days.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
A discussion of the possible underlying preferences that drive Kim Jung Un’s recent overtures.

Quote:Kim has more concrete goals that are evident in North Korea’s word and deed, and that happen to also propel North Korea toward the meta-goal of unification, but on terms favorable to the North. Kim has sought to 1) secure his rule against internal challengers, 2) achieve and demonstrate a reliable nuclear deterrent, 3) improve his people’s quality of life, and 4) elevate North Korea’s international standing as a nuclear state. Until very recently, his priority has been the first two goals. Having made significant progress on them, with his current charm offensive, Kim is now aiming to do the same for the latter two.

What Kim Jong Un Wants From Trump

Quote:The point is that Kim’s diplomacy is a progression of Kim’s strategy. Claiming that it’s the result of South Korea’s negotiating savvy or Trump’s maximum pressure campaign ensures only that Trump shows up to meet Kim with eyes wide shut about his counterpart’s motivations. Trump might be perfectly happy to ignore the ultimate price and trade-offs of a deal as long as it generates favorable news headlines. But what about the rest of America?
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
It's been pointed out to me that the two Koreas previously made it to this stage of negotiations in 2007 and 2000.

I also see that some people who really should know better are suggesting Trump get the Nobel Peace Prize for this. (C'mon, folks, peace hasn't broken out yet. It's far too premature to talk about anybody getting the Peace Prize for this.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Rob, they gave Obama the Nobel for what he might due, at this point the nomination committee has long since lost any relevancy
Currently writing BROBd

(05-01-2018, 07:46 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Rob, they gave Obama the Nobel for what he might due, at this point the nomination committee has long since lost any relevancy

Last I checked the committee was very unhappy with that error in judgement, and have taken to more stringent standards when it comes to awarding the peace price.
And yet to my knowledge the committee has never rescinded the award, nor asked for its return.

I will admit I have no knowledge of them ever doing so, but if there was ever a case for it, the Obama award would be it.
Currently writing BROBd

(05-01-2018, 07:46 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Rob, they gave Obama the Nobel for what he might due, at this point the nomination committee has long since lost any relevancy

Citation needed. Wikipedia currently says the exact opposite of what you've stated here.

(05-02-2018, 06:39 PM)Rajvik Wrote: And yet to my knowledge the committee has never rescinded the award, nor asked for its return.

I will admit I have no knowledge of them ever doing so, but if there was ever a case for it, the Obama award would be it.

Why should they rescind it? What is the case for doing so?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As an Obama voter, I was thought it was a joke when I first heard he won the Nobel. Actually, it still seems like a joke.

But Trump, he's basically disqualified from getting a Nobel because he's so weak on foreign policy that every country now knows it's okay to use chemical weapons on their own citizens.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Rob, here is what Wikipedia says, sounds like what I said to me, tie- utter horse hooey
https://www.google.com/search?q=article+...m=vs#tts=0
Currently writing BROBd

Rajvik, that's the article that I linked to. Where in that article does it say anything that supports your view?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown