Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High time? October.
High time? October.
Recreational marijuana use to become legal in Canada as of October 17

The bill cleared the House of Commons and the Senate this week - it just needs to be signed into law.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: High time? October.
New Brunswick is ready.

Here's a photo of what might be the first government-run cannabis store in the world:

[Image: cannabis-nb.JPG]
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Does this mean everyone who works at one of these could get arrested on travelling to the United States? Y'know, for technically being a drug dealer?

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Yes, it does. Prime Minister Trudeau's advice is to be honest at the border crossings.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Actually, no they cannot, as long as they are not transporting it into the US there is no holding them. Now deny them entry, possibly, but I doubt it
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(06-20-2018, 04:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: New Brunswick is ready.

Here's a photo of what might be the first government-run cannabis store in the world:

I can't help but wonder if that's going to work like the beer stores we encountered in Canada, with little ordering kiosks and a roller conveyor from the back room on which boxes of your preferred blend come sliding out...

(And is it weird I suddenly want to cram "Canada" and "cannabis" into some kind of portmanteau word now?)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
"Cannadabis", maybe? It'd be a decent brand name....
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Well, 'nederwiet' as a portmonteau is a thing here in the Netherlands already. Translates pretty directly to 'Dutch weed.'
(06-21-2018, 08:24 AM)ECSNorway Wrote: "Cannadabis", maybe? It'd be a decent brand name....

I don't think a portmanteau that runs to more syllables than either of the words that make it up will get much traction.

On the other hand, though it's not a portmanteau, calling it "Maple Leaf" with an underlay or something of a marijuana leaf might work as a logo.  Maybe the standard Canadian maple leaf behind the word "maple" while the marijuana leaf is, of course, behind the word "leaf"....  Meh; that's a marketing question, and I have no expertise or talent in that area.  Shutting up now.  Although my current sig is appropriate:
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
(06-21-2018, 07:12 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 04:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: New Brunswick is ready.

I can't help but wonder if that's going to work like the beer stores we encountered in Canada, with little ordering kiosks and a roller conveyor from the back room on which boxes of your preferred blend come sliding out...

(And is it weird I suddenly want to cram "Canada" and "cannabis" into some kind of portmanteau word now?)

There were high hopes * that this year's July 1 would be "Cannabis Day" (playing off "Canada Day"), so you aren't the only one thinking this way.

* (pun intended)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-20-2018, 07:57 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Actually, no they cannot, as long as they are not transporting it into the US there is no holding them. Now deny them entry, possibly, but I doubt it

It appears that this counts as profiting from trade in a drug, so it's legally possible for the USA to ban a cannabis store employee from entering the country.

Also, it will still be illegal to cross the border (coming or going) with cannabis - you'll have to purchase and use it within Canada, in accordance with Canadian laws.

Government of Canada travel advisory
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
CBC Opinion: Private pot shops are wonderful and probably doomed

Quote:Such variety. Such pleasant service, with a buzzy little vibe. And such reasonable prices. Which of course means the government will be along soon to shut the place down, and maybe even prosecute, because, you know, Canada.

In Canada, friendly, knowledgeable service with a wide range of reasonably priced products is exactly the opposite of what our leaders have in mind.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown