Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's That Time of Year Again, 11th Edition
It's That Time of Year Again, 11th Edition
(As folks are sure to recall, we've been doing this for more than 11 years, but a quick search of the forum shows I've only been using this thread title since 2008...)

We are starting our annual week at the beach on Long Beach Island on Saturday.  As has been usual the last few years, we have more than enough consumer electronics handy that I will not disappear from the boards as I used to in the early 2000s.

The place we've stayed at the last couple years turned out to be way too small if everyone wanted to be in it at once, so in January Peg and I did some legwork down in LBI and found a much larger place for about the same rent, just fifty feet from the beach and just two blocks away from one of the family's favorite restaurants on the island.  Everyone's looking forward to it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: It's That Time of Year Again, 11th Edition
Sweet!

I may as well piggyback on this and mention my vacation starts tomorrow - three lovely weeks worth. (Having spent 30 years with the same employer helps.) I have no idea where I'm going, but it's not to work.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Until last night, the plan was that, tomorrow fortnight, the 'rents and I leave for the wilds of central Michigan, there to meet up with my brother and sister-in-law and nephews (among other friends and relations) and be introduced to the nephews' new puppy.

Technically, that's still the tentative plan, but after my dad fell down in our upstairs bathroom, scraping an arm pretty badly and possibly giving himself a concussion, we're not sure it'll work out going forward. My dad refuses to see a doctor, probably because a doctor would tell him he shouldn't travel.
I'm sorry to hear that, Mamorien. Here's hoping your father is right and he's not seriously injured.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
If it's a concussion, then he really should get checked out...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I trust all is well with him, given that we haven't heard any bad news since then.

Meanwhile, we're here on the beach now. The temp is in the 70s F and there's almost no humidity; I'm sitting on our deck enjoying the breeze.

I'd take a pic of the view and attach it, but I'm using the quick reply right now. Maybe later.
-- Bob

Good to hear that you're having a good time of it, and got lucky with having the weather break at just the right time.
On Friday morning, after several mishaps, my kindly gray-haired mother finally convinced him to go to Keystone Urgent Care and get checked out. Except he take a turn for the worse in the next week or so, he's fit to travel. Yay!
Hurrah!

I hope you all enjoy your trip. There's nothing quite like seeing family.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yes, that's great to hear!

Yeah, we're having a good time. We have yet to bother with the A/C, which is amazing for LBI this time of year. And everyone keeps telling us what a good job we did finding this place, because everyone's exploring the neighborhood and they just keep finding good places ike bakeries and ice cream shops.

Oh, and I won't be able to post images until I get back, because the board has a 500K max on attachment size, and I have no tools on any of my devices that will let me resize my images.
-- Bob

If you've got a decently sized Android device there's at least two ports of GIMP and numerous more or less similar apps to be had. I wouldn't want to try actually drawing on anything less than a 7-10" one (and the 7 would be pushing it without a mouse or a good stylus) but for simple resizing they should be fine. I haven't looked, but I'm sure there are at least as many and probably three times more for Windows branded devices too, and at least a couple if you've got a Chromebook and haven't jailbroken it to get a proper desktop environment via CROUTON or community-created BIOS update. I really should switch to the latter for mine, Google stopped supporting it for security updates since it's five years old now.
i'd thought of that, and I am working on a good-sized tablet right now, but for the last few months attempting to visit the Play Store on this device just throws an error (or a few dozen) while refusing to let me in.
-- Bob

Whoa. Two military Osprey aircraft just flew past, following the shoreline north. Very unusual.
-- Bob

(07-08-2018, 09:17 AM)Mamorien Wrote: On Friday morning, after several mishaps, my kindly gray-haired mother finally convinced him to go to Keystone Urgent Care and get checked out. Except he take a turn for the worse in the next week or so, he's fit to travel. Yay!

Me and my big mouth.

Monday afternoon, he fell down under circumstances I no longer remember, and it took about 15 minutes for KGHM and me to get him to his feet.

Monday evening, Monday gweepning, and this morning, he fell down again, under the same circumstances each time, viz. or to wit, trying to get off the toilet in the upstairs bathroom to go back to bed. In each of the first two cases, it took KGHM and me about 45 minutes to get him into the bed; in the third, for reasons I didn't keep track of, only about 10.

This midday-to-afternoon, it happened again, and around 3:30, KGHM finally broke down and called 911. About an hour later, KGHM called on her mobile from wherever the paramedics had taken him to say that the results of his CAT scan should be available in about a half hour.

Two-and-a-half hours later, I called her mobile to let her voicemail know I was going to have dinner. An hour after that, having had dinner, had dessert, and brushed my teeth, I called her again, but this time she realized she was getting a call and rang the landline.

He's in Chambersburg Hospital, being kept overnight for observation. I talked about visiting, but was asked to hang fire in case my brother called before KGHM was home to field the call.

Right now, prospects for getting to the lake look not specifically too good.
Oh, dear. Here's hoping everything turns out for the best.

About the only good thing in all this is you didn't discover his problem when you were already away from home.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Jeez, that sucks. Hopefully it's just something relatively minor like an ear infection messing with his balance, but just multiple falls are bad enough regardless of the reason.
(07-10-2018, 08:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: Oh, dear. Here's hoping everything turns out for the best.

Thanks.

Quote:About the only good thing in all this is you didn't discover his problem when you were already away from home.

This is a fact.

(07-10-2018, 08:45 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Jeez, that sucks. Hopefully it's just something relatively minor like an ear infection messing with his balance, but just multiple falls are bad enough regardless of the reason.

There might be an ear infection, but I do not, for one, think that's the main problem. I think the main problem may be that he's spent enough time on the flat of his aching back that his legs have visibly atrophied and can no longer reliably bear his wait. (He relies on a Zimmer frame to get him from the house to the car and back, or from the car to wherever we've gone out [cinema, restaurant, what have you] and back. KGHM and I have had, and not just recently, to drag him bodily within reach of something he can use to lift himself up.)
Further Update: My brother and my older nephew came over from Maryland to help clear some space in our living room so we can fold out the sofa-bed (thus sparing dad the need to cope with stairs whenever he gets to come home), and to visit dad in the hospital (he made a few attempts to get out of bed, which I discouraged as not wanting to have to help him up, and I frequently had to adjust the position of his left arm because the drip-feed was getting blocked). When I can stand to feel things about it, I'll let you know what those things are.
I recommend thinking about somewhere you'll be able to just yell for a bit without alarming anyone else, when it's time to open that door. While far from an all-encompassing solution, it can be a great relief after physically dealing with the immediate crisis to just shout about it, regardless of what emotions or mixture of them is involved. A large pillow to beat on, hug, or just use as a proxy to yell at may also help.