• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] The Return of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Return of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
(08-22-2018, 12:54 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Benjamin Rhodes
Manager
Westwinds Apartments
San Antonio, TX, USA
Timestamp: 2016-24-11 00:22 UTC

Ayeka Masaki on 2016-24-11 00:15 UTC Wrote:That said, I feel it would be a good idea if we all sat down together and discussed the matter.

With respect to her Royal Highness, I second that motion. Rob, I'll leave the time and date up to you. I'm pretty flexible over here.

The PiratePad is still acting up, so I've started a wiki page: The First Jurai-Crystal Millennium Summit. Who gets to claim Earth, and what will the rules be about polyamoury?

Anybody with a wiki account is welcome to join in.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Except for me.
No Permissions at the moment.

Anyway

Just be careful with Royalty. What is it with the American fetish for Royalty? They'll take everything you have and leave you with nothing. Maybe not the nice one. But the dozen that follow, brought up in their own smug superiority with the belief that they are somehow special and 'better'. Because the moment you brinjg someone up to believe that they're 'better' than another person, is the moment they start treating other people as 'worse', as things .

All a crown does, is make slaves of a people.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(08-21-2018, 01:51 PM)robkelk Wrote: It would still make sense to put the portals at the airports, because existing infrastructure.

Something of note: It's not the airport you should be worried about.

It's the rail lines and highways.

San Antonio is a major hub for truck and rail cargo - mainly because a lot of said cargo going in and out of Mexico goes by way of San Antonio.  And Texas has the largest stretch of border between USA and Mexico.  Arizona and New Mexico get their share for sure.  But the only border to rival Texas's for trade volume is California.

Anyhow, this would mean that we'd need to pop portals on all the rail lines and highways that originally went in and out of the city until suitable replacements groundside can be built.  Otherwise that'd be severing a critical trade artery.  It's also give people a chance to leave if they don't feel up to the adventure of living on Star Base San Antonio.  :V

Oh, and this is not even starting to touch on the headache that will be dealing with the military forces here.  Looks like Putin *will* pitch a fit after all.

Rob, I hate to burst your bubble, but at this time no one except maybe the Goddesses know yet that this is a permanent thing.  Ben has his suspicions, and he may have made them known to Rob, but it's not reason enough yet to act like the sky is falling, metaphorically speaking.

At the most, this would be a sit down for everyone to discuss the possibility of them willfully not returning to their home universe, and if so which one they'd like to go to instead.  Belldandy and Urd would probably sit in to provide input about the possibilities.  (Namely, it can be done, but they need to know well in advance who's going where.)

Of primary note: The idea at this time frame is that once everyone goes home, that will pretty much be it - there isn't any plans in place for anyone to go jumping between universes, as that is pretty much what started this mess in the first place.  (And here Skuld would give Washu the stink-eye.  Wink )

No one is going to know for sure that things have definitely changed until Academy City shows up.

THEN we can have our Major Conference.  Smile
robkelk Wrote:(at least until the airlines agree to be phased out)
Dartz Wrote:All a crown does, is make slaves of a people.

Geez guys stop trolling already.

As for me, I'm firmly in the republican camp, but don't really mind if a ceremonial monarchy is attached.  But if Sailor Moon was real, I couldn't switch into the monarchist camp fast enough.  I have the much the same reasons for not being opposed to a Kingdom of Heaven ruled by God.  If you can absolutely trust the monarch to make good decisions, then monarchy is the best form of government, hands down.  In the world we actually live in, we can't find anyone that trustworthy, which makes most forms of monarchy a terrible idea.

I've actually put a decent amount of thought into what Crystal Millennium governance would look like.  Sailor Moon is fairly postmodernist in flavor, so that means we probably don't get absolute monarchy, dictatorship, or republic, but rather something with elements of all of these.  Given that it's probably Ami and Rei who would set up the instruments of state, it would probably resemble liberal democracy for the most part, with most republics acting as vassal states to the monarchs.  Which isn't to say decrees can't come from the top -- I'm pretty sure the list would start with "war between Earthlings is now illegal, please stop so we don't have to come over there personally and punish you in the name of the Moon k tx."  The idea would be to try to leverage the strengths of both: consent of the governed and tolerance for the minority from democracy, with the long-term focus and avoidance of the tragedy of the commons from monarchy.

No one is really free from the social contract.  We're either bound by shackles or love-me-chains, and so we should choose our government wisely.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(08-22-2018, 02:41 PM)Dartz Wrote: Except for me.
No Permissions at the moment.

Wiki tells me:
Quote:There is no user by the name "Dartz". Check your spelling.

What's your UserID?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-22-2018, 05:52 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Rob, I hate to burst your bubble, but at this time no one except maybe the Goddesses know yet that this is a permanent thing.  Ben has his suspicions, and he may have made them known to Rob, but it's not reason enough yet to act like the sky is falling, metaphorically speaking.

At the most, this would be a sit down for everyone to discuss the possibility of them willfully not returning to their home universe, and if so which one they'd like to go to instead.  Belldandy and Urd would probably sit in to provide input about the possibilities.  (Namely, it can be done, but they need to know well in advance who's going where.)

Of primary note: The idea at this time frame is that once everyone goes home, that will pretty much be it - there isn't any plans in place for anyone to go jumping between universes, as that is pretty much what started this mess in the first place.  (And here Skuld would give Washu the stink-eye.  Wink )

No one is going to know for sure that things have definitely changed until Academy City shows up.

THEN we can have our Major Conference.  Smile

Well, then, save the existing wiki page for later use.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Only partly trolling. Truly trolling would be posting photo's of the State Razor when the good queen's head photoshopped in...

Well, it is the cyberpunk house.,

And there is a reason why Data is the manager. He's a lot more mature.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

Still looking for an image (for the Halloween party) of Mii in a Bunny outfit... and still not finding one. (If I was looking for Kantai Collection girls in Bunny suits, there's be no problem.)

But I did find this, which suggests an omake for San Antonio. It looks to me like she's just realizing she shouldn't have taken a carrot as a prop without asking Ryo-Ohki first.

Danbooru link, so two-stage to click even though the image is safe.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I was wondering for a second why she didn't have Mii's... *aherm* Proportions... then I noticed it was Homura. Tongue
If one is looking for a neutral venue, one might look for the one venue that's outside of North America...

7 Henrietta street is a charming former tenament located just to the North of Dublin's city centre, just ar the backl of the King's Inns in what was once the most affluent part of the city.

Sights for tourists within a feww moinutes walk include Doctor Quirkey's tarpaulin which has been covering a ruin for so long, the tarpaulin has been listed - the Carlton cinema, which has 7 5D seats and dozens of vacant rooms, and The Spir, or An Túr Solais in Irish. While the name translates to the Light Tower and refers to a high output light installed in the tip - the light burnt out years ago and nobody replaced it so now it stands as a monument to the city'[s heroin problem. Dozens of airBnB's converted from former rental homes can be had at reasonable room rates.

Come enjoy the city's boardwalk area, where heroin and cannabiss is dealt openly under the nose of the State police force. A growing homeless population provides a rustic backdrop to the new hotel and offices developements throughout the city.

On the plus side, there're pubs that date back to the 13th century. Pubs with great food. A decent camera shop on Wexford street. And good pubs.

I was thinking of suggesting that... and asking whether Data would be interested in serving as a neutral moderator for the discussions. IIRC, NextGen Federation officers actually get diplomatic training. (We certainly don't see obnoxious Federation diplomats in that season, the way we did in the original series, and Picard gets tapped to act as a diplomat on occasion.) Even if they don't, Data is completely capable of being neutral.

Of course, we don't need to decide anything about this until Arc 2.

EDIT: Silliness:
(08-24-2018, 05:13 PM)Dartz Wrote: Sights for tourists within a feww moinutes walk include Doctor Quirkey's tarpaulin which has been covering a ruin for so long, the tarpaulin has been listed
"It's a tarp!" - Admiral Akbar.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
.... I'm just wondering why the urgent need for a 'nuetral' space. It's not like we're holding peace talks between two warring nations.

Yeesh. And people thought Fenspace-Ben was alarmist for doing a readiness check when Mal went to DC.

EDIT: at least with THAT Ben had the rhetoric coming out of the USA as an excuse.
(08-24-2018, 08:22 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: .... I'm just wondering why the urgent need for a 'nuetral' space. It's not like we're holding peace talks between two warring nations.

It gets three writers involved instead of just two.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-24-2018, 08:52 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-24-2018, 08:22 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: .... I'm just wondering why the urgent need for a 'nuetral' space. It's not like we're holding peace talks between two warring nations.

It gets three writers involved instead of just two.

If that's what you wanted, then there are far better excuses, e.g.: Maybe there are others who do not wish to return to their home-line universes.  I'd imagine that the Serenity's crew might like to try their hand at being merchants in the Empire of Jurai.  (Mal would absolutely adore the fact the Juraians started out as a pirate guild, and that they were his brand of 'villain' at that.)

Hell, if he wants to do things on a smaller scale, then he can go with Princess Serenity and scoot around Sol system, helping to (re)establish colonies by moving cargo and people.

Hell, I bet even Shinji might want to go for it if he can be assured that it won't present any issues.  And if the Sexaroids could be assured that they would be recognized as sapients with full rights despite being synthetic...

I think you get the idea.  Wink
Yeah I was offering here because, you know, Florida at New Years or Christmas you can still enjoy the beach
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

I think I have all the Halloween party notes in one place on the wiki now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If anyone wants to come to California in the winter, we can do the thing where you ski in the morning and surf in the evening.  No one ever mentions the "drive all afternoon" part in the middle.  I should still have open apartments for visitors.

I'm writing Halloween stuff now.  I'm using a lot more Minako than I expected, so Rob is definitely going to need a readthrough.

Just a reminder that Tomoyo Daidouji is available if anyone has elaborate costume ideas or last minute requests.  She won't be starting school until after the party, so she'll have some free time.
(08-25-2018, 05:14 PM)Labster Wrote: If anyone wants to come to California in the winter, we can do the thing where you ski in the morning and surf in the evening.  No one ever mentions the "drive all afternoon" part in the middle.  I should still have open apartments for visitors.

"We can get there with a Sailor Teleport!"

"You have school tomorrow."

"Awwww... Can we go on Saturday?"

(08-25-2018, 05:14 PM)Labster Wrote: I'm writing Halloween stuff now.  I'm using a lot more Minako than I expected, so Rob is definitely going to need a readthrough.

Just a reminder that Tomoyo Daidouji is available if anyone has elaborate costume ideas or last minute requests.  She won't be starting school until after the party, so she'll have some free time.

Well, if Tomoyo is accepting requests... Smile

I expect that Tomoyo made the Sarah and Jareth costumes for Usagi and Mamoru.

Rei Hino has heard of a character who is also a singer and also has hair as long as hers. Hatsune Miko, or something like that. "Miku". Thanks, Rob-oji.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You can have your entertaining and ankle spraining hobbies.

We have socially acceptable teenage alcoholism.

Ruiko likes her music player.

Here are 5 Ottawa-inspired tunes (A slight bit of cheating, in that one of the songs is Kingston-inspired, but Kingston is in the Ottawa station's listening area.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Starting another side-story... Does anybody mind if I borrow a whole bunch of characters just before Christmas 2016? Combat-types only, this time around.

Quote:A moment later, a car pulled into the parking lot. "Sorry I'm late! Why do you have the Deep Aqua Mirror out?"

"Oh, I just had to deal with a couple of Unseelie."

"Again?" Haruka asked while Michiru got into the car. "We really need to do something about them."

"Usagi said she and her friends were working on a plan for that."

"We really need to do something about them before Usagi tries to be friends with them."

"When I mentioned that to her last week, she said something about a different kind of befriending."

"I wonder what she meant by that?"

"Who knows?"

Obviously, Haruka and Michiru don't have time to watch cartoons, or read the briefing notes that Minako and Makoto send them, or they'd know what "befriending" means.

EDIT: Here's who I want:
Advance Units:
  • Ryoko Hakubi
  • Aeka Masaki-Jyurai
  • Nanoha Takamachi
  • Fate Testarossa
  • Yuuno Scrya
  • Arf
  • River Tam
Reserve Unit:
  • Sosuke Sagara
  • Ruby Rose
  • Yang Xiao Long
  • Weiss Schnee
  • Blake Belladonna
  • Malcolm Reynolds
  • Zoe Washburne
  • Jayne Cobb
Command Unit:
  • Teletha Testarossa
  • Simon Tam

It isn't a coincidence that the advance units can all point-and-zap (except River, who can mindread-and-kick-ass), while the reserve unit needs weapons.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I have no problem with this except a bit for River, and her because of two reasons,

1: is a minor and is trying to fit in amongst other high schoolers outside of dealing with being outside her original time period
2: I don't see River going without Simon at least in the reserve unit, and maybe a Jarhead manager as well as people who are there to watch the advance team's back
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

I can work with no River, although I was hoping for her telepathic abilities to be available.

Simon's planned to be part of the command unit, as its medic. He'll be there, just not on the front lines. (Nobody puts a surgeon on the front lines.)

EDIT: And the group being deployed to watch the advance team's back includes eight Sailor Senshi, Railgun, and a teleporter.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Finally got around to reading your latest story post, Rob. Sorry it took me so long - I've been really out of it lately trying to acclimate myself for morning classes starting this Monday. (Only one class on Monday, thank God.)

And I like what I'm seeing so far. Though I kinda feel bad for Mamoru and Mii - they got their vehicles, but they can't enjoy them for about six months out of the year.

Ah, but I can't wait until everyone gets to see a real Texas Thunderstorm, and watch in amazement as the streets, for all practical purposes, turn into sluiceways.

Anywho, Benjamin will want to be part of the rear echelon, mainly so he can keep an eye on the tactical plot and watch for any holes that might develop.
I was thinking that Shaoran is actually more of a combat mage than Sakura is.  But actually my bigger problem is with the idea of child soldiers, a problem that is pretty pervasive in anime.  One part I liked about Cardcaptor Sakura is that we got to see a young magical girl without putting her in mortal danger.  Probably the most dangerous part in the whole show was when ILLUSION convinced her to walk off a cliff.

By the time that takes place, Sakura and Shaoran will have fought against Cinder, but from their own choice that accidentally pushes them into combat, not because of a planned operation.  It's just not the same.  That said, if Kero-chan or Yue would be useful, that'd probably be okay.

Here's a story fragment. For those of you reading for fun, it's just a preview of a side story set in Little Tokyo.  For those of you who are authors, this is important context for the Halloween chapter:
Quote:"Hey, buy this for me."  Tomo held up an elaborate pink ballpoint pen, emblazoned with colorful hearts and with little plastic wings attached.  It looked like exactly the kind of thing a wannabe magical girl would use.

"Aren't you a little old for that, Tomo?"

"Nope.  It's cute."

"Well, use your own money."

"Don't wanna."  She pushed it towards me.

"It's just a silly pen!"

She went right up to my ear, "Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!"

"Okay, fine."  It was overpriced plastic, but still plastic.

Tomo was spinning her new pen around. "What's that?" Kagura asked.

"Check out my super-cute pen.  I used my feminine wiles to get Brent to buy it for me."

"I don't remember it that way," I noted.

Kagura concluded, "Huh, that's a good idea."  She held up a two-piece swimsuit in front of herself.  "Don't you think I'd look good in this, Brent?"

"Uh, yeah."  Definitely yes.

"Oh well, I'm running a little short, so guess I'll have to put it back…"

"Don't worry about that, I'll buy it for you."

"Thanks Brent!"

Tomo just glared at me for the next five minutes.
I was going to post the Halloween bit on the wiki now, but I'm falling asleep now, so it's going to have to be tomorrow.