Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brief Outage This Morning
Brief Outage This Morning
If anyone tried to access the boards between about 7 and 7:20 AM EDT this morning and got some manner of error message, that was me upgrading MyBB.  In addition to the downtime the upgrade required, I ran into an error in a critical file (one that I'm going to be asking about at MyBB's forums, don't you worry), and had to replace it with a copy of the older file in order to get the boards to work again.  Sorry about that.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Brief Outage This Morning
And then I got an email from Rob saying he couldn't log in, so I just performed a complete install of the board software (I had done an incremental one at first). I can see that we have users browsing the forums right now, this board in particular, so I'm assuming it worked properly. But if you're having any kind of problems, let me know.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Hm, well, checking the timestamp at the top of one of the pages I loaded then (6:54) it must have been right at the beginning of the process, but I only got one error page out of three sub-boards I was checking (It said that the Install directory wasn't locked, or something along those lines) and it was fine when I retried a few seconds later, as were two or three more pages I loaded right after for threads that had updated. I was eating brekkers and reading Marshal Graves' newly posted fic since then, so I suppose I missed the rest of the excitement.
Yeah, you got a message that comes up at the very end of the update process.

Rob is still having problems. I have a friend's birthday party in literally minutes so I won't have much time before evening to solve them, unfortunately.
-- Bob

I'm in. (I couldn't login four hours ago, but I'm in now... and not about to logout.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Welcome back, Rob. At about 8:15 AM this morning I tried applying the fix I told you about in email, and I guess it worked.
-- Bob

That would have been ten minutes after I tried to login...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
That would do it, yeah.

Weird thing... the fix was already partially applied by the updated board code already. I only had to add it to a few of the files the web page I found told me to. I'm hoping this will be fully implemented in the next release; I'm not looking forward to forgetting about this and having to rediscover it again in a few months.
-- Bob