Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[IC][Story][Arc 1] They go to the land of the ice and snow
[IC][Story][Arc 1] They go to the land of the ice and snow
Star 
OOC: But no midnight sun, and no hot springs flow. And this joke's going over like a lead balloon, isn't it? However, they are immigrants.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
November 20, 2016
12:03 pm

Rob's phone started playing Science Genius Girl. "Sorry, I'd better take this," he said as he stood up and left the table.

Once he was in the hall, he answered the phone. "Hello, Washuu-chan."

"What took you so long?"

"You pulled me away from Sunday luncheon with everyone."

"Not everyone."

"I assure you, all twelve of my human roommates and all three cats are enjoying a roast beef dinner - a meal that I made for the very first time since moving into this building, and that I'm not enjoying because I'm talking on the phone." Rob emphasized those last five words just slightly.

"Sorry. But you're missing a half-dozen boarders. No, you called them roommates. So you're getting to be a family up there."

"We are, and we're happy about it. And I'm glad Skuld-sama dropped that hint when she was over so I'd know enough to get some rooms ready. You've finished treating their pre-existing medical conditions, I gather."

"That saves a lot of exposition. When do you want us to drop in?"

Rob thought for a quick moment. "Give us two hours, to finish lunch and clean up the place a bit."

2:05 pm

The monitor that normally displayed the Good Neighbor System's status flickered, then displayed "Portal Opening in Ten Seconds". The display counted down, and when the number reached zero, the door to Washuu's lab appeared on the wall. Rob quickly cleared the chairs from that wall, then knocked twice on the door.

As the monitor returned to normal, the door opened. "Who is it?"

Rob sighed. "Come on out, Washuu-chan. We have a busy afternoon ahead of us."

"Busier than you might expect. Last stop, all out!" Washuu stepped out of the doorway, followed by four girls who looked just like Mikoto, one who appeared to be their younger sister, and a thin pale white-haired teenaged boy. "So, this is where we'll be staying from now on. Tch. Whatever."

Makoto leaned over to Rei. "He reminds me of my sempai. The one who dumped me."

"Oh, that jerk. Maybe he'll be better."

Everyone else ignored them. The apparent quadruplets - who had been carrying a backpack each - turned to Rob. Amazingly, one of them smiled slightly. "Thank you for being willing to take us in, Mikoto Niiko says with genuine warmth," she said almost tonelessly.

Rob was impressed. Considering that the last time he had seen the clones, they hadn't learned how to show any expressions, this was a major step forward for them. "Thank you for being willing to live here. I should warn you now that Ottawa is nowhere near as warm as San Antonio is."

"The cold never bothered me anyway, Misaka Rei quotes."

"This cold might. The temperature outside is near the freezing point of water, and in two months you'll be wishing it was this warm again."

"We have warm weather gear, Misaka Kokono points out."

"You'll need it," Kuroko assured them.

The other sister looked around. "None of you are wearing skirts, Misaka Nana comments in wonder, leaving the obvious question unspoken."

"It's far too cold outside to not wear slacks," Usagi explained.

"Where will we be sleeping, Misaka Rei asks? We have belongings to unpack."

Rob motioned toward the stairs. "I've converted three of the storerooms to double-occupancy rooms, as a stopgap measure. Each room has two beds, two dressers, two desks, and no privacy. You'll have to use the washrooms attached to the communal bath."

"And wait until you see the bath!" Ruiko almost grabbed Accelerator by the hand to pull him along, realized at the last moment what she was doing, then dropped her hands to her sides. "Er... if you want to see the bath, that is."

"Later, Rui-chan." Rob turned his attention back to the newcomers. "If you don't mind somewhat Spartan conditions, you can stay in those rooms for the long term, or we can ask politely if Wahsuu-chan would be willing to create another subspace pocket here with room enough for everyone, or we can start doubling up in the apartments we already have."

"I'd be happy to give up my apartment and move back in with onee-sama."

"You really don't need to do that, Kuroko," Mikoto replied quickly.

"Since you have some contingency plans," Washuu interjected, "I'd be happy to create some rooms for you."

Rob leaned over to Washuu. "And if we didn't?" he whispered.

"Then you'd be out of luck." She turned to the people who had accompanied her. "What do you want me to set up? One room for each of you, or a bunkroom for the four Sisters and three separate rooms?"

Mii raised her hand. "Three separate rooms? Wouldn't you need only two more rooms?"

Washuu slapped her own forehead. "That's right, I forgot to tell you!" She pulled a wafer-thin device out of her pocket.

"What's this?" Rob asked.

Washuu-chan grinned. "Based on my detailed and repeated studies of your boarders from Academy City, Accelerator, and the Misaka Sisters, I have created an AIM Concentrator and Manifester!"

Two puppets popped up, one on each of her shoulders. "You're a genius, Washuu-chan! You're the greatest, Washuu-chan!"

'Hey, that's from a different continuity,' thought Rob. In the most deadpan voice he could muster, all he said was "What."

"Misaka Misaka likes them, and she was my lab assistant during the design phase. Back in your cages, you two!" The puppets returned to whence they came. "As I was saying, this collects and concentrates the AIM fields that your espers give off, focuses them, and allows them to manifest in an anthropomorphized state."

"You're kidding. You're not kidding. Who was manifested?"

"When I tried it with just Misaka Misaka in the lab, it manifested a one-inch-tall version of her. When I tried it with all of the Misaka sisters in the lab, it manifested a three-inch-tall version of Misaka Mikoto. I want to try it out here, with every esper on the planet within range."

Rob reached out and covered the activation button before Washuu could trigger the device. "How long did the manifested personality remain in existence?"

"Until I turned off the manifester. Yes, that means the personification remained even after the Misaka sisters left the area."

Rob thought for a moment, then moved his hand away.

"You're expecting somebody in particular, too. Let's find out whether we're right." Washuu flipped the safety cover open, pushed the button, and flipped the cover back over the control. Everybody watched as the device hummed, then quieted down. Then a light appeared above the device, resolving into a human shape - a teenaged girl in a Japanese school uniform, with a ponytail on the left side of her head, glasses over her eyes, flawless skin, and a build that even Mii would be hard-pressed to match. Washuu looked at Rob. "Am I good, or am I good?"

"You're good, Washuu-chan. I'm surprised that she's twelve inches tall, though."

"More espers being present means there a larger AIM diffusion field to work with."

"How many espers are there on Earth right now?"

The girl suddenly moved, then smiled and cleared her throat. "Er... hello?"

Rob immediately turned his attention to her. "Hello, miss. My name's Rob Donaldson. I'm pleased to meet you."

"Kazakiri Hyoga. I'm pleased to meet you." She looked around. "Oh, I was hoping to see Index."

"You aren't in Academy City at the moment, Hyoga-chan. We don't know where Index and Touma are, but we are looking for them. Sorry." Rob grinned sheepishly.

"It would be nice if we could find them."

Hyoga turned to the speaker. "Hello! I know who you are. You're Railgun."

"Please don't call me that. I have a name: Misaka Mikoto."

While Hyoga, Mikoto, and the other espers talked, Ami leaned over to Rob and Washuu. "What's an A I M diffusion field?"

"Something that espers from Academy City give off simply by living. AIM stands for 'an involuntary movement'. Please don't ask me for specifics, because I don't have any. Hyoga is... well, you've seen the anime, haven't you?"

"I must have missed the episodes that she was in. I'll have to watch them later."

She'd missed the climaxes to both seasons of A Certain Magical Index? Rob didn't push the matter, but made a mental note to find out later whether Ami had watched any of the shows he'd made available to everyone. "Washuu-chan, how long will the power last on that manifester?"

"Until my lab collapses in the heat death of its pocket universe. You don't need to worry about her disappearing because the power ran out."

"Oh, good." Then Rob smiled and chuckled.

"Care to share the joke?"

"If Hyoga ends up dating someone, that person's going to have a real-life imaginary girlfriend."

Ruiko grinned at Rob's remark. "The Imaginary Number District actually exists? I knew it! Is it true that I could get there if I crossed between districts in Academy City at 4:44 pm?"

"No, Saten-san, real people can't enter the Imaginary Number District. Only monsters like me."

Mikoto interrupted before Hyoga could continue. "We don't care what Academy City intended you to be. We care who you are, not what you are. From what I read in the novels, Kamijo-san and Index-san think you're a person - a good person - so that's good enough for me."

Hyoga smiled a shaky smile. "Really?" She started crying. "You really think so?"

"Hey! Please don't cry, Misaka Misaka asks with tears about to fall from her own eyes!"

Off to the side, Rob leaned over to Washuu. "Is it my imagination, or did Kazakiri just get bigger?"

"I think she just grew, too. The espers might be responsible, with their sudden belief in her existance."

"She isn't Tinkerbell."

"And nobody's clapping. I need to take some measurements."

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
November 21, 2016
7:22 am

Rob nodded to the three girls who walked into the common room. "Good morning, Chibi-Usa, Misaka Misaka, Hyoga!" He noticed they were all roughly the same height, and Hyoga was wearing the manifester on a filigree chain around her neck. "You might want to get a more substantial chain for that necklace, Hyoga."

"Good morning, Rob! Thank you for worrying about me."

"Hi, Rob-oji-san!"

"Good morning, Rob, says Misaka Misaka as she walks to the refrigerator. Do we have any juice, Misaka Misaka asks?"

"Orange, apple, and pineapple. Take your pick."

"Orange, please, Misaka Misaka decides."

Hyoga poured herself a cup of coffee. "Why do you always use your full name, Misaka?"

"So nobody thinks I'm one of my sisters, Misaka Misaka answers! I have lots of sisters, Misaka Misaka adds in explanation."

"The number of Misaka Sisters! It's over nine thousand!" Everyone else ignored Rob.

"My name's Usagi, just like my mom, but everybody calls me Chibi-Usa. It's a nickname!"

"Misaka Misaka wants a nickname too, Misaka Misaka insists!"

Rob smiled as he brought a plate of toast over to the table and sat down beside Hyoga. "Well, then, let's see what we can come up with. How about 'Chibi-Misaka'?"

"That's too close to my nickname."

"What's wrong with Last Order?" asked Hyoga.

"The connection between us isn't something people should know, Misaka Misaka replies with foreboding while buttering a slice of toast."

Rob nodded. As far as Academy City was concerned, the 'last order' that Misaka Misaka was ever intended to give was to activate Hyoga; it was only because Index could undo what was done to the girl that both Misaka Misaka and Hyoga were still themselves and sane.

"Call her 'needlessly genki girl'."

Rob didn't look up. "And good morning to you too, Accelerator. Coffee's on the counter, toast is on the table."

"Whatever."

"Misaka ... Misaka ... Misaka ... Misaka Misaka. It's hard to come up with a nickname, Misaka Misaka announces! Misaka Misaka Misaka Misa Misa...."

"Misa Misaka? That's not too bad." Hyoga tilted her head and lifted a finger to her chin. "No, wait, wasn't there something about a magical girl named Misa somewhere?"

"Misa Misa Misa Misa Misa Mi Mi Mi ..."

Hyoga thought for a moment. "Mi Misaka? That could work."

Rob shook his head. "That could cause some confusion if Mii was ever to adopt her."

"Why would Konori-san adopt Misaka Misaka, Misaka Misaka asks? Besides, Mi and Mii are two different names, Misaka Misaka adds. Mi Mi Mi Mi Mi MiMiMi..."

Rob blinked. "Mimi?"

"Mimi Misaka?" Chibi-Usa almost sang the name.

"Misaka Misaka likes Mimi Misaka, Misaka Misaka announces! No, Mimi Misaka announces, Mimi Misaka corrects herself!"

"This is bull-"

"Thank you, Accelerator," Rob interrupted as his phone chimed to indicate receiving a message. "Mimi it is. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to take this."

After Rob left, the newly-christened Mimi turned to Chibi-Usa. "He never told us why Konori-san might adopt me, Mimi Misaka comments in a confidential tone."

"Eat your breakfast, brat."

"That's Mimi brat, Mimi Misaka insists!"

In the hallway, Rob checked the text message, noting it was from Washuu-chan. "Measurements analyzed. Hyoga should reach her full human size within 24 hours. I'm making ID for her now. Do you want to foster her, too?"

He sent back "List her as 17, and we can get away with her being an emancipated minor."

"That means you won't get fosterage money from the government."

"We'll manage somehow."

To be continued...

Next time:

"Girls, if you don't stop freaking the mundanes right now, then I won't pay your range fees."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
[IC][Story][Arc 1] They go to the land of the ice and snow - by robkelk - 08-06-2018, 08:28 PM