Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC][Shorts] Being You is Forever After
[RFC][Shorts] Being You is Forever After
I had an idea about a short, but it would be something that takes place in the future after the conclusion of the main storyline.  So, without a place to put it, I decided to make this.  As the name implies, it can be construed as a historical record of Clan Grimm, kept and maintained by the Clan Head... which will be Garrick for quite some time.

For this snippet...  A bit of information is needed first in order to understand exactly what's going on.  As part of Garrick's apotheosis at the end of PMMM, like Madoka did before, He rounds up the souls of all the puella magi, both past and future.  The deal he offers is simple, and it's sweet enough that everyone takes him up on it: come with him, have a second life as one of his children or descendants.  A second life where they will be loved and cherished.  However, they will also take up the mantle of Puella Magi once more when they're of age.

Only without the horrors the Incubators inflicted on them.

They are to be especially gifted members of his family - those that are empowered to a degree that falls short of Garrick, but is in notable excess to their kin.  But the most important part of all will simply be that they will be loved and never face despair again.  Because there will always be a member of Clan Grimm to back them up.

Garrick.  I'm sorry to wake you, but you're needed.

I stirred at  Katherine's gentle prompting and blinked blearily as I checked the time on my C-pod.  2:12am.

What's up, Sprout?  A bit early to be starting the day.

... They had nightmares again.

That got my attention and my brain began to quickly spin up.  Next to me, Yume stirred, but not so much as to disturb our two daughters who were snuggled up with her - Hotaru - at five years she was starting to grow like a weed, and one of the family's newest additions, Kyoko.  With that brilliant shock of red hair, I was absolutely certain it was her.  Fitting that she chose Yume to be her mother.

"Problem?" she asked quietly.

"Madoka and Homura.  Nightmares again."

"Troubling," she said, and that aptly summed up her thoughts on the matter.  More than any of the others, Homura and Madoka had suffered the greatest - so much so that even this new life couldn't completely isolate them from the memories of the horrors they lived through.  "Go to them, My Husband."

I showed my thanks for her understanding by leaving her with a loving kiss, and then left the bed, making sure everyone was still covered.

It didn't take long me long to get to the lounge that served as a sort of foyer that branched out into each of my wives wings.  I'd actually designed this place like a very well appointed Hobbit Hole - the tunnel like halls with neat and tidy wainscot paneling, and floorboards so tightly fitted that the only way to see the seams was to look for where the grain differed.  All of it was in darkly stained Ryuten Giant Oak - a gift from Asahi, as she was certain that only wood rated for starship hulls would be able to stand up to children of mine.  (How right she was.  We'd already had one Noodle Incident, courtesy of The Triplets, that would have utterly ruined their playroom if not for the sturdy wood that made up the flooring and paneling.)

The overall effect was an environment that was cozy and comforting with the way it seemed to wrap all around you, but spacious enough that it never felt claustrophobic - the hallmarks of the Hobbit Hole.

Minagi and Nanami were there, fussing daughters in hand.  With Minagi was Madoka.  I felt that was a good choice for Madoka.  Minagi's  dutiful ethic combined with her gentle and loving nature was a perfect fit for her.  I knew without a doubt that she would be leading the rest of the cohort the moment they all learned to walk.

And with Nanami was, of course, Homura.  Again, a perfect fit if I ever saw one.  Not only did Nanami have all the right physical characteristics to pass on, but her cool and measured exterior was a perfect fit to Homura's sensibilities.  It didn't hurt that Nanami's subtle, yet passionate love would provide all the maternal warmth she needed while maintaining her dignity.  Not to mention the Kyōtōryu.  Homura had the right disposition for it.  Nanami was looking forward to training her.

As I accepted the two fussing infants, one in each arm, Minagi grinned as they began to settle down the moment they sensed my presence.

"Heh.  Daddy's Girls, the two of them."

"Indeed," said Nanami quietly with a faint smile.  "I suppose it only stands to reason.  A daughter learns best how to love from her father."

I smiled at that, and then down at my little girls.  Not for the first time, I felt my paternal instincts welling up and the very sight of two of them in my arms - a powerful desire to not only protect and love them, but to also do everything I could to impart my own strength of heart to them.

"I'll take them to my room tonight," I said quietly to Minagi and Nanami.  Minagi accepted it without question, though Nanami was still new to this - Homura being her first.

"Are you certain that won't be an imposition for you, Husband?"

"They're my flesh and blood, my Beloved Blade.  In my culture, I would be a failure as a father if I did not do my utmost for them."

Nanami nodded.  "Very well then, Husband.  I shall leave our daughter in your care tonight, though I will take measures to make sure that she has milk in the morning.  She has already suckled her fill tonight."

I kissed my wives goodnight, and then went to my own chambers.

The loft bed was no more here.  Instead, my bedroom was an actual loft.  It's very own suite, really, with a kitchenette and a small bathroom with a shower stall.  Of course, Japanese style, just without a tub.  The lower space that was overlooked by the loft above was my personal library with all the reference materials that were most relevant to my day-to-day activities and also my most treasured collection of novels.  There were several plush leather chairs, as well as a table with a game board that can be changed out with a number of others - all of them abstract strategy games such as chess, go, mancala, mahjong, backgammon, and even dominoes and playing card games.

The space under the loft was where the kitchenette with it's small bar-style eating area and the bathroom were located.  But tucked away behind all that was my personal office - a work space tailored by myself to have just enough tranquility and comfort that I would not be distracted by any annoyances, and yet still a fully appointed office with a holoconference system, computer terminal, writing desk, drafting table, tactile holotank, and a filing cabinet for my hard copies (something that, despite being derided by some, has actually saved the day once already).  For color and ambiance, there a small selection of indoor plants, an attractive cascading water sculpture, and a trio of small aquariums with some very beautiful male bettas.

Of course, I went straight up the wrought iron spiral staircase and carefully settled my daughters onto the bed.  Right away, little Homura began to fuss, which slowly started to carry over to Madoka.

I had no doubt in my mind - while their mental faculties were slowly redeveloping, they were still very much the people they used to be.  Which meant that all of Homura's insecurities came bubbling up to the surface with ease, which made Madoka sad to know her sister was in such a state.

I only lef them long enough to set some music to play.  It was a slow waltz, set in a tone that was both brooding and gently uplifting, with distant, heavy drum beats, and hauntingly beautiful vocalizations.  I simply let it play through the first round as I settled in with my daughters, one to either side of me, snuggled in close.

Once the second round began, I began to gently sing for them.

I know you
I walked with you
Once upon a dream

I know you
That look in your eyes
Is so familiar a gleam

And I know it's true
That visions are
Seldom what they seem

But if I know you
I know what you'll do
You'll love me at once
The way you did once
Upon a dream

~~

But if I know you
I know what you'll do
You'll love me at once
The way you did once
Upon a dream

~~

I know you

I walked with you
Once upon a dream

I know you
That gleam in your eyes
Is so familiar a gleam

And I know it's true
That visions are
Seldom what they seem

But if I know you
I know what you'll do
You'll love me at once
The way you did once
Upon a dream

Even after all these years, Disney can work utter and pure magic.  And it only helped that the lyrics here applied so powerfully well.  At the end of it all, Homura did love me as a father figure that had been sorely lacking in her life, as had the others.

As my daughters finally began to sleep again, I fervently hoped that one day in the future, their previous lives will be nothing more than a distant dream and will haunt them nevermore.

I've been living under a rock.  Really.  I mean, I've seen the movie Maleficent (freakin' GLORIOUS film!) but I never really caught on to Lana Del Rey's music until the other day when I heard her song, Blue Jeans, in a restaurant and managed to get Google to identify the song for me.  It was all downhill from there.

Also, here's the official VEVO Youtube video for Once Upon A Dream.  This is pretty much the version Garrick was using on his daughters.

RE: [RFC][Short] The Bible of Clan Grimm
If this is to be the epilogue, perhaps call it "Being You is Forever" with "The Family Bible of Clan Grim" as a subtitle? Maybe "is Ever After." The first one scans better, but the second fits more with the formula to say it's the end.

"Being You To The End" could work too, I guess.

I don't really think I can comment on the substance of the story, though; I'm not all that familiar with PMMM except to know it's the kind of show that's bad for my mental state to watch, so I don't really have a reaction to Garrik preempting the ending beyond "huh," that it's good Homura isn't a witch asteroid screaming forever in space, and that Madoka isn't the type to mind not becoming God as long as her friends and all the other magical girls get to have their happy endings, which being reborn to a loving and supportive family of nigh-immortal superheroes certainly counts as.

Edit: Just don't go all Stargate/RWBY cross with "Hallowed are the Grimm!" and it should be fine. Wink
RE: [RFC][Short] The Bible of Clan Grimm
How about 'Being You is Forever After'?  And I'll just note that these are all events that wind up in the Clan's Bible.

A little more info about this snip.  The basic idea is that Garrick had gotten to know these girls.  In fact, he got caught in the time loops himself for a while before something triggered a memory enough for him to go "WAIT A COTTON PICKIN' MINUTE HERE!!!"  At that point, he teaches Homura a technique to carry his own memories over into the next loop so he can better help her.

From there on, he spends a lot of time with the girls, particularly helping Homura out as best as he can, and helping her to realize that she no longer has to go it alone.

And once he gets that through her head?  She latches on to him and treats him like a father.

Hence the song.  He knows them.  He's walked with them.  He knows their hearts and their desires.  And while the future is hardly what anyone had thought it would be, he is still there for them, ready to love them if they'll have his love.

His girls will never be alone again.