Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A CYOA in Worm or I think my name is No No
RE: A CYOA in Worm or I think my name is No No
**Akane**
The three of us watched as Taylor and Katie walked into the partitioned half of the room to make their phone calls while the rest of us sat and waited with the director and the Youth Guard representatives. “Director,” Smither’s said, almost growling at Aunt Emily, “I find it appalling that you have let this go on like you have.”

“Carolyn,” Ms. Burns said laying a hand on her companion’s forearm, only for the younger woman to shake it off as she continued.

“You allowed two Wards, teens under sixteen to participate in a combat action around civilians,” she continued. “You should have never allowed it to happen.”

“And how should I have done that Ms. Smithers.” Aunt Emily said coldly to the assistant. “They were there amongst the crowd already.”

“You could have not used them,” the aide snapped. “You shouldn’t have used them in fact, maybe the police and your PRT Troops would have taken a few injuries, but better that than to involve children in a military style strike.”

“Kuso baka,” I muttered drawing a lifted eyebrow from the older woman and a sneer from the younger.

“Do you have something to comment on?” the aide asked snidely. I glanced at Aunt Emily who only nodded.

“Excuse please,” I said deliberately making it seem like I didn’t speak English very well. “But what you said, stupid. No person capable of helping would have kept out. Age not matter, only skill.” Aunt Em and Ms. Burns shared a look, the older woman lifting an eyebrow while Aunt Em only looked at the ceiling. “So why what we do problem?” I asked.

“Her job,” the aide said slowly, probably to make sure I “understood,” “is to ensure your safety, she failed at that.”

I spocked an eyebrow at her, “She not precog, have no way of knowing what happen.” I snorted and smiled at her. “This not kids show, villains not schedule attacks.”

“Regardless,” Smithers said waving her left hand in the air and offhandedly dismissing my argument. “You and Skitter should have been her first priority.”

I shook my head at that, Ideology blinded fool, I thought. “First duty to civilians,” I told her. “We not civilians.”

“You are children,” she countered before sniffing disdainfully. “You are supposed to be protected the same as the civilians, if not before them.”

Again I shook my head, trying to not laugh out loud at her. “Excuse please,” I said keeping up the façade of not being good with English. “But first life lesson I learn after life not fair was with power comes responsibility.” The look she gave me almost sent me into a fit of giggles, so I continued. “With knowledge, patience, with strength, mercy, and with skill, self-control. For many century family has protected people from excess, and today no different.” Beside me Vicky and Amy both nodded in agreement, and Ms. Burns smiled slightly.

“You sound like you have been trained for many years miss No No,” the elder woman asked cordially. “May I ask where?”

“Initially at family dojo on Kyushu,” I answered honestly. “But after Leviathan, what you call YMCA in Tokyo by grandfather. I also learn from friend’s family, but belief is from family.”

“Then may they burn in hell,” the aide muttered drawing every eye in the room.

“Excuse please,” I said, my smile going from friendly to brittle in a heartbeat. “Explain please?”

“They taught you that violence is the solution,” she said giving me a sad look. “That is a horrible thing to do to a child. Now all you expect is the fight, you don’t look for other solutions.”

“Violence is a solution,” I said, carefully enunciating every word there to get my point across as I tried to suppress my anger. “It is tool like anything else, only fool believe otherwise.”

The aide was the one shaking her head this time. “Brainwashed from birth,” she said softly. “I truly do hope they burn in hell for that.”
**Taylor**
As Katie and I sat back down, we both kept an eye on Akane as she visibly suppressed her anger and swallowed her pride. “I apologize,” she finally ground out. “I should not have lost my temper like that.” Her words were slow and carefully spoken, as if she were, She’s faking a heavy accent, the thought ran through my mind like a wild animal. The question was why?

“You have my apologies as well miss No No,” Ms. Burns said in response. “Carolyn and I will be having a long conversation on the inappropriateness of her remark today.”

“But…” Smithers started but was glared down by her superior.

“Are there any other questions?” the Director asked. Ms. Burns replied with a negative headshake, so she turned to us. “Thank you for coming to this debrief Victoria, Amy, you can either go home or join the other three in going to the Wards area.”

“Thank you, Director,” Amy replied before Vicky could say anything. “We actually need to go home now.” At that point Amy directed her attention at Vicky, “We are late for dinner, and Mom isn’t exactly happy about what happened today.”

Vicky sighed in response, but then nodded before standing. “Alright Ames,” she said, “home it is. Skitter, I’ll call you or No No tomorrow to see how the evening went.”

I nodded but before I could say anything the Director spoke again, “No No, Rune, Skitter, unless you are going home?” I shook my head at that causing the Director to nod, “then you are restricted to the Wards area. Akane and I both raised an eyebrow at that, and she explained. “You’re not in any trouble, but we do have other things to go over and I need to know where to find you.”

Akane and I nodded at that and stood to leave as well. “You know we only do this for your own protection.” Smithers prattled, earning a glare from both Ms. Burns and the Director. Heedlessly she continued, “it’s for your own good that we try and keep these myrmidons from turning you into child soldiers.”

“Miss Smithers,” I said, intentionally not using the “correct” honorific. “When you finally get a clue what your protection actually accomplishes, I hope you understand why we need that level of discipline in this city, and not your Pollyannic attempts that hamstring us.” She looked at me and blinked so I took another tact. “We appreciate the thought that goes into that desire on a personal basis Miss Smithers,” I told her. “What we need, instead of your good intentions, is that more people, such as yourself, try and save this city. Now, if you will excuse us Ms. Burns, Director.” Both of the other, older women nodded, and while Carolyn Smithers just sat there dumbfounded, the rest of us filed out of the conference room.
“What the hell is wrong with that girl?” Carolyns Smithers muttered softly to herself as her and Ms. Burns sat down in their car. In the wake of the teens leaving the conference room, Piggot had stonewalled them on the question of how long those two had been Wards members, trying to redirect her ire towards what had happened where Sophia Hess had been…”I’m such an idiot.” She suddenly said out loud as the pieces clicked together in her mind. “Skitter is the girl that Hess stuffed into that locker.”

“Congratulations Carolyn,” Montmorency Burns said closing the divider between them and the driver. “You have managed to figure out why the girl does not hold people like us in high esteem. Now,” the elder woman continued, “would you care to take a guess as to why she is even bothering to work with the PRT and the Protectorate instead of turning to one of the gangs?”

“Because the girl that pulled her out of that locker is No No,” Smithers said sitting back covering her face with her hands. “Which means that she has been here for about the same amount of time that Skitter has had her power and thus has no blame in the situation.” Smithers rubbed at her face, mortified at what had happened in that room, happened because of her overzealousness. “And then I go and insult what was probably the first friend that Skitter has had in years, condemning No No’s parents for raising her in a way that ensured that she would intervene and save Skitter. God I have fucked up.”

“Yes Carolyn, you have,” Ms. Burns said as the car slid to a stop in front of their building. “Hopefully those girls will not hold a grudge, indeed I highly doubt they will. You will not get a friendly reception from them in the future however, and I wouldn’t expect them to treat you with any more respect or deference than your position requires until you somehow show your reticence.” At that point Ms. Burns climbed out of the car and walked into the office building where the Youth Guard’s local offices were quartered, Carolyn scrambling to get out of the vehicle and catch up.

“Ms. Burns,” Carolyn said as she caught up to the elder woman and started to hover in her wake. “How do I fix this?”

“Honestly Carolyn,” Burns said as they entered the elevator and settled in for the five-floor ride, “I don’t know if you can. A sincere apology to each of them would be a start, but the problem is that they both know you believe what you said to them whole-heartedly, so it would come off as insincere and conniving.” Carolyn’s face fell, and she and her boss contemplated the situation as it traveled upwards.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Messages In This Thread
RE: A CYOA in Worm or I think my name is No No - by Rajvik - 10-20-2019, 05:36 AM