Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It Can't Be Worse Than The Movie
It Can't Be Worse Than The Movie
Avatar: The Last Airbender Is Being Reborn as a Live-Action Netflix Series

(Although to be honest, Peg and I discovered ATLA because of the movie; literally right after we saw it in the theatre we went to Barnes and Noble and bought the entire series because we had heard the complaints, but had enjoyed the movie enough that we had to see how much better the series was.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: It Can't Be Worse Than The Movie
I say it can be worse than the movie, but it also could be better. Won't be better than the animation though
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

"Mister Schroeck," Hermione, who moonlighted as a telly scriptwriter, said quietly, "has challenged me."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
I also liked the movie and this is after carefully recording and indexing every episode from broadcast TV.   Live action is far to limited for something like Avatar the last air bender and after so many seasons of high quality animation it will be almost impossible to do it justice.

I hope netflix does okay with the live action remake, but If they are going for something that hard, I'd really like to see them focus on something like the Dragon Riders Book series and try to turn even one of the books into an anime of the same quality as the Avatar series.

hmelton
The problem with the movie was trying to cram, what, 13 hours? of animation into less than 2 hours of live action. It's just not going to work. Changing medium while preserving the length should at least save us a lot of plot telescoping. Note that they have one of the original creators working on the show; that should help, too.

Effects I don't think will be a problem.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....