Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes)
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes)
(12-23-2018, 12:57 AM)Norgarth Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 10:01 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: The idea is that the tenants are given to the managers that are intimately familiar with the source material they appear in.

Thus it could have been a tossup between Rob and myself over who got Usagi and Company.  Wink

I must admit, I know nothing of Mahromatic,

I should have clarified: that's the explanation in-setting.  Realistically, it's there so people don't get in over their heads trying to write characters they don't really know.  So since you're going to be an NPC Manager, I guess it wouldn't really apply.
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes)
I pretty much pushed my way through Aria and Ai yori Aoshi just so I could write this story, lol.  The first was even my own idea, roffles.  The other was kinda foisted upon me by Rob, but hey, they work out pretty well.  I probably wouldn't have done it on my own, but they do have the advantage of being a harem that I actually like and wouldn't mind living with, which is more than I can say about any harem other than Tenchi's.

I admit that when I'm watching something that I know I'm going to write about, I notice more things.  Like the fact that the Kaleido Stage is in L.A.?  That's actually canon; the Freedom Lights troupe is announced to be from L.A. when they visit Vancouver, in both English and Japanese tracks.  

Do we have something of a date when the veil will be lifted?  Because the Kaleido Stage will appear outside my residents' windows, and be super obvious to everyone.  I mean, I could take them earlier as a small group in my apartment, but I'm kinda in love with the idea of getting the Sailor Senshi to Leeroy Jenkins a suspicious circus that appeared overnight.  "Well well well, we appeared in a brand new universe, and we're just getting our bearings, when these crazy ladies come to attack us.  But then it turned out that they were really nice, and one of them was even a frisbee expert!  We made them fall back in love with the circus, but can we attract a completely new fan base in another universe?  It's gonna be hard, but we're gonna try, try, try!"

Oh, and uh, anyone who has electronic characters, especially Dartz, maybe read this article about the computer metaphor for the human brain is not very accurate for how we think.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I have no problems with the veil being lifted any time after the Halloween party. Or during the Halloween party, for that matter.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(12-23-2018, 02:54 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 12:57 AM)Norgarth Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 10:01 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: The idea is that the tenants are given to the managers that are intimately familiar with the source material they appear in.

Thus it could have been a tossup between Rob and myself over who got Usagi and Company.  Wink

I must admit, I know nothing of Mahromatic,

I should have clarified: that's the explanation in-setting.  Realistically, it's there so people don't get in over their heads trying to write characters they don't really know.  So since you're going to be an NPC Manager, I guess it wouldn't really apply.

That works.

hmm, trying to figure out figure out how much room I have left.
four 1 bdrm apts
fourty-five 2 bdrm apts
twenty 3 bdrm apts (using the older floorplan for the Ambassador suites I have)
that means 154 bdrms

Current use:
me (single)
Bean (single) (no one deserves Bean as a roommate Tongue )
SG-1 (2 doubles) + 2 doubles? (Janet & Cassie Fraiser, Gen. Hammond & Walter)
Mahromatic: a triple for Maharo, Sugaru, Minawa, (and Slash)
                  : Not sure how many others would be present
X-Men Evolution: Prof X/Logan, Storm/Jean, Kitty/Rogue, and Scott/Spyke/Kurt (3 doubles and a triple) ? + 2 doubles (for the Brotherhood)
Aang/Sokka, Katara/Toph (2 Doubles), ? +Zukko/Iroh, others?

2/4 singles, 7(12+?)/45 doubles, 2/20 triples

Any of you have requests for characters you want to use later but don't need currently?

Random thought: a Chicago team up between Dresden and the Gunsmith Cats.   O_O
(12-23-2018, 11:32 AM)Norgarth Wrote: Any of you have requests for characters you want to use later but don't need currently?

I'm good - at least for now.

(12-23-2018, 11:32 AM)Norgarth Wrote: Random thought: a Chicago team up between Dresden and the Gunsmith Cats.   O_O

Add Due South to that mix, eh? Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Erm... Does it really have to be that soon? I've got A LOT to do even after the Halloween party before I feel comfortable about lifting The Veil.

Also, please note: Lifting the veil does not mean everything is gonna be hunky-dory with all the rest of the nations of the world, least of all our host nations. I don't imagine that lifting The Veil will do anything at all to deter people from voting for Trump - even if you could bring concrete evidence that Russia was trying to influence the election, people are going to believe what they want to believe. And I don't believe Trump's administration is going to handle the situation gracefully at all, even if it's a pre-existing one. At the very least, I feel that we'd be facing a declaration of Martial Law in the USA until the 'Invasion' is dealt with.

In short, we'd have to see about moving off of Earth VERY prematurely. This isn't one of those things I take lightly. This is the point where if I were a DM, I would look over my blind at everyone and ask, "Are you guys sure you REALLY want to do this?"
(12-23-2018, 03:00 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Erm...  Does it really have to be that soon?  I've got A LOT to do even after the Halloween party before I feel comfortable about lifting The Veil.

I said I was okay with "any time after the Halloween party". Just because I'm ready to roll doesn't mean everybody else is.

(12-23-2018, 03:00 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Also, please note: Lifting the veil does not mean everything is gonna be hunky-dory with all the rest of the nations of the world, least of all our host nations.  I don't imagine that lifting The Veil will do anything at all to deter people from voting for Trump - even if you could bring concrete evidence that Russia was trying to influence the election, people are going to believe what they want to believe.  And I don't believe Trump's administration is going to handle the situation gracefully at all, even if it's a pre-existing one.  At the very least, I feel that we'd be facing a declaration of Martial Law in the USA until the 'Invasion' is dealt with.

Mamoru sighed. "I seriously doubt that the President of the United States is going to step aside in favor of Usagi."

Ayeka sniffed. "I don't recall Jurai giving you permission to elect a President."

"Big sister! It doesn't work that way!"

Because that particular fire hadn't been fanned enough. Big Grin

EDIT: I picked Ayeka because the other Juraians have enough political savvy (or, in Sasami's case, divine connections) to not say something like that.

(12-23-2018, 03:00 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: In short, we'd have to see about moving off of Earth VERY prematurely.  This isn't one of those things I take lightly.  This is the point where if I were a DM, I would look over my blind at everyone and ask, "Are you guys sure you REALLY want to do this?"

If that's how we're running this plot thread, then I'd much rather wait until Moonbase Alpha has shown up and an arrangement has been made between Koenig and Usagi - that gives the Blossom residents someplace to run to, instead of simply running from the political mess.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-22-2018, 11:58 AM)robkelk Wrote: Check the wiki page for "Bob's place". Smile So... is the New Brunswick, NJ branch of Callahan's in the same strip mall as Artie's Artery?

Artie's Artery wouldn't have have been in a strip mall, it would have been in a building somewhere on French Street, between Suydam and Paterson.  While I'm amused by the idea of the two establishments being neighbors, I imagine Callahan's branch as located further west along Route 27, anywhere from here to here.  (In fact, the site of the Wells Fargo bank visible on the latter map used to be the location of a run-down bar up until about ten years ago.)  Anyway, this stretch of 27 not only runs through New Brunswick, but also through Franklin Township (Somerset) and into North Brunswick.

Alternately, Callahan's might be on this stretch of Livingston Avenue, which has hosted a number of small bars over the last twenty years, and is physically within the environs of New Brunswick.

The Banzai Institute is more correctly known as "The Banzai Institute for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information" and many if not most sources put it in Holland Township, but at least some materials connected to the movie put it in or near New Brunswick.  (And one Facebook page puts it in Grovers Mills!)  Exactly where in New Brunswick is hard to say -- outside of disappearing a park or part of one (possibly Buccleuch Park on Easton Avenue), there really isn't any room for a walled compound in the city.  If you don't want to follow the majority canon and put it in Holland Twp. and want it reasonably close to the other refugees in New Brunswick, you might want to consider putting it somewhere along Hamilton Street or Amwell Road on this map.  None of that is New Brunswick proper, but it's within minutes of Rutgers, and less than half an hour from Princeton.

EDIT: Corrected Livingston Avenue link
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(12-22-2018, 09:49 PM)Rajvik Wrote: As far as the TV series, its my understanding that Butcher disavows it and anything shown therein

Not quite, depending on how you define "disavow".  He considers it a non-canonical alternate universe to his books, separate from them in its entirety and having no bearing on their continuity, and enjoyable on its own merits.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Bob, wasn't it the Red Lectroids who were set up in Grover Mills? It's been quite a few years since I last watched the movie, but I seem to recall that their initial arrival triggered the "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast with them mesmerizing people into thinking it was just fiction as they went into hiding.
That's correct.
-- Bob

(12-23-2018, 03:32 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 03:00 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Erm...  Does it really have to be that soon?  I've got A LOT to do even after the Halloween party before I feel comfortable about lifting The Veil.

I said I was okay with "any time after the Halloween party". Just because I'm ready to roll doesn't mean everybody else is.

Okay.  Still, kinda had me going for a moment there...

(12-23-2018, 03:00 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Also, please note: Lifting the veil does not mean everything is gonna be hunky-dory with all the rest of the nations of the world, least of all our host nations.  I don't imagine that lifting The Veil will do anything at all to deter people from voting for Trump - even if you could bring concrete evidence that Russia was trying to influence the election, people are going to believe what they want to believe.  And I don't believe Trump's administration is going to handle the situation gracefully at all, even if it's a pre-existing one.  At the very least, I feel that we'd be facing a declaration of Martial Law in the USA until the 'Invasion' is dealt with.

Mamoru sighed. "I seriously doubt that the President of the United States is going to step aside in favor of Usagi."

Ayeka sniffed. "I don't recall Jurai giving you permission to elect a President."

"Big sister! It doesn't work that way!"

Because that particular fire hadn't been fanned enough.  Big Grin

EDIT: I picked Ayeka because the other Juraians have enough political savvy (or, in Sasami's case, divine connections) to not say something like that.

Ben: *Sighs*  "Washu-chan, would you?"
Washu: "Sure sure.  Ayeka?  Try to imagine how well it would go over if Tsunami suddenly decided that you were not fit to govern yourselves."
Ayeka: ".... Oh."

(12-23-2018, 03:00 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: In short, we'd have to see about moving off of Earth VERY prematurely.  This isn't one of those things I take lightly.  This is the point where if I were a DM, I would look over my blind at everyone and ask, "Are you guys sure you REALLY want to do this?"

If that's how we're running this plot thread, then I'd much rather wait until Moonbase Alpha has shown up and an arrangement has been made between Koenig and Usagi - that gives the Blossom residents someplace to run to, instead of simply running from the political mess.

Well, I did say this was deconstruction.  And from what I've seen of the current White House Administration?  Having all of our characters arrested sounds perfectly in-character for them.
I'm not really ready to roll until at least January, but it can be bumped later than that.  Most world-changing events don't happen in a day, but take serious time to unfold.  And uh, I'm doing slice of life still, so it's not slowly and joyfully moving through the seasons is gonna mess up my story lol.

I am getting the feeling that I need to visit New Jersey, Ottawa, and San Antonio to write this story better.  Or, at least, I want to go.  I'll be heading to Pittsburgh next June, which closer but not really near to any of them.

Quote:Bean (single) (no one deserves Bean as a roommate Tongue )
He's not really that bad if you're the right type.  Rowan Atkinson has said the key to his character is that he still sees the world as if he was a child.  Anyone with experience being a mother to a boy could probably handle him easily enough.  But yeah, maybe alone is better.

@BA, @RK - so apparently the answer to my question from PM a while back is yes.

Agreed in not changing the election outcome.  As much as it pains me to say it, he makes a much better backdrop for our setting.

They could definitely try arresting us, but undocumented people appearing among us in California is what we call Tuesday.  There are no crimes in providing housing or food to undocumented immigrants.  Entering the United States without permission is also not a crime, it's simply cause for people to be returned to their home jurisdictions.  Return Alicia to Mars?  I'm sure Elon will get right on that.  No, no, I'm pretty sure that this will lead to Twitter rants and not much else, like most of the Trump presidency.

If they did try something, the California Attorney General (depending on the time, either Kamala Harris, or Xavier Becerra) would file an amicus brief on our behalf so fast it would make their heads spin.  Seriously, there will be some powerful people who do not want Trump fucking up Operation Paperclip Part II; the aforementioned Elon Musk is just one of them (i.e. the only one I've plotted so far).  Shinzo "Honest" Abe will get that, and probably start working with the fine folks at Academy City early on.  If there's one thing I learned from anime, it's that they really believe that the military-industrial complex reaches all the way into the media, but 2channel is always an effective backchannel.

Also OMG is Statelessness an utter shitshow, c'mon, get it together world!
(12-24-2018, 04:56 AM)Labster Wrote: Also OMG is Statelessness an utter shitshow, c'mon, get it together world!

Yes. Yes, it is. That's why the very first thing my SI did for the displacees in his building (other than buying them clothes) was to get them legal identities as citizens.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I said Trump would *try*. Never said that anything would come of it. But once it gets outed that the residents of Westwoods Apartments are not entirely what they appear to be, there's gonna be a public opinion war like no other, because Trump is still pretty popular in these parts, despite San Antonio being a bastion of Blue in a state of Red.

Let's not forget that there has been people that have acted quite radically on the behalves of people like Alex Jones. Heaven help us if rumors that literal aliens were being harbored in a local residence came out as being actually credible and one of those crazies decided to pay a visit.
(12-16-2018, 07:34 PM)robkelk Wrote: Now, turning my attention to Windsor. Fraggles aren't going to take up any bedrooms, so there's plenty of room available no matter what building you choose.

I've mentioned that Mahoro Ando is somewhere in the setting, waiting for Funtom Placement Services (i.e. Lord Phantomhive and Sebastian) to find her a place to work. Are you up to hosting the Mahoromatic main characters? (Considering that one of them is a cybernetic panther, you couldn't have a "no pets" policy.)

looking back aways, How many Mahoromatic characters sould I be finding rooms for?  I've already assigned a triple for Mahoro, Sugaru, Minawa, and Slash, but how many others should I be assigning rooms for?
(goes and looks)

Seven more people. There's the Unwanted Harem (Chizuko Oe, Miyuki Sakura, and Rin Todoriki), "Those Two Guys" (Toshiya Hamaguchi and Minato Hokaze), and the teachers (who should each be in 1-bedroom apartments - Tou Ryuga and Saori Shikijo).

Oh, and make sure they get the armoured part of the building. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Re-reading the thread:

(12-24-2018, 04:56 AM)Labster Wrote: Seriously, there will be some powerful people who do not want Trump fucking up Operation Paperclip Part II;

Hmmmmm... "Operation: Red Stapler"? Just saying. Smile

And now for something for much, much farther out. I'm thinking that one way or another the Moon Kingdom is going to end up on the Moon, with Moonbase Alpha as either an allied city-state or absorbed into Usagi's realm and the Federation gifting them with a couple of (surplus, unlucky or mass-produced) FTL-capable craft to start off their navy. Any displacees from other buildings want to work for Usagi, once the war's over and everybody gets to muster out of the anti-Salem forces? Usagi's going to crew the Miranda-class ship with Misaka Sisters, but there's an Oberth-class ship that needs crew, and Usagi wants at least one ship she can use without freaking out the passengers.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-09-2019, 09:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: Re-reading the thread:

(12-24-2018, 04:56 AM)Labster Wrote: Seriously, there will be some powerful people who do not want Trump fucking up Operation Paperclip Part II;

Hmmmmm... "Operation: Red Stapler"? Just saying.  Smile

And now for something for much, much farther out. I'm thinking that one way or another the Moon Kingdom is going to end up on the Moon, with Moonbase Alpha as either an allied city-state or absorbed into Usagi's realm and the Federation gifting them with a couple of (surplus, unlucky or mass-produced) FTL-capable craft to start off their navy. Any displacees from other buildings want to work for Usagi, once the war's over and everybody gets to muster out of the anti-Salem forces? Usagi's going to crew the Miranda-class ship with Misaka Sisters, but there's an Oberth-class ship that needs crew, and Usagi wants at least one ship she can use without freaking out the passengers.
Some body warn Misaka about the BORG.
If I have anything to say about it, the Borg are gonna get monkey-stomped with extreme prejudice.

The only way I'd reconsider would be if Usagi somehow moon-beams the whole damn collective and forces them to see the error of their ways...

... At which point, we probably WILL have cyborg-hippies on our hands.
(01-10-2019, 01:24 AM)itsune9tl Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 09:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: And now for something for much, much farther out. I'm thinking that one way or another the Moon Kingdom is going to end up on the Moon, with Moonbase Alpha as either an allied city-state or absorbed into Usagi's realm and the Federation gifting them with a couple of (surplus, unlucky or mass-produced) FTL-capable craft to start off their navy. Any displacees from other buildings want to work for Usagi, once the war's over and everybody gets to muster out of the anti-Salem forces? Usagi's going to crew the Miranda-class ship with Misaka Sisters, but there's an Oberth-class ship that needs crew, and Usagi wants at least one ship she can use without freaking out the passengers.

From the working notes:

"It's like visiting a Borg ship... but cuter." - Capt. William T. Riker, USS Enterprise-E

"Frakking cuteBorg - make my head hurt trying to keep track of them all." - Rob Donaldson

(01-10-2019, 07:10 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: If I have anything to say about it, the Borg are gonna get monkey-stomped with extreme prejudice.

The only way I'd reconsider would be if Usagi somehow moon-beams the whole damn collective and forces them to see the error of their ways...

"But, Ben, we have to respect their freedom of choice to be who they want to be."

"Usagi, do they *want* to be Borg?"

After a moment, she replied, "I don't know, Rob."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
...pity we're using only primary sources. Bringing in the UF!Borg would screw with everyone's heads.
-- Bob

(01-10-2019, 07:57 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 01:24 AM)itsune9tl Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 09:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: And now for something for much, much farther out. I'm thinking that one way or another the Moon Kingdom is going to end up on the Moon, with Moonbase Alpha as either an allied city-state or absorbed into Usagi's realm and the Federation gifting them with a couple of (surplus, unlucky or mass-produced) FTL-capable craft to start off their navy. Any displacees from other buildings want to work for Usagi, once the war's over and everybody gets to muster out of the anti-Salem forces? Usagi's going to crew the Miranda-class ship with Misaka Sisters, but there's an Oberth-class ship that needs crew, and Usagi wants at least one ship she can use without freaking out the passengers.

From the working notes:

"It's like visiting a Borg ship... but cuter." - Capt. William T. Riker, USS Enterprise-E

"Frakking cuteBorg - make my head hurt trying to keep track of them all." - Rob Donaldson

(01-10-2019, 07:10 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: If I have anything to say about it, the Borg are gonna get monkey-stomped with extreme prejudice.

"But, Ben, we have to respect their freedom of choice to be who they want to be."

"Usagi, do they *want* to be Borg?"

After a moment, she replied, "I don't know, Rob."

"Not saying they have to stop being Borg, Usa-chan.    Heck, for some of them it's all they've ever known seeing as quite a few were assimilated even as children.  They just need to stop forcing their way of life onto everyone else."
Have we put any thought into how Tenchi Muyo's cosmology fits into our setting? Or are we just going to ignore the crazier bits, like how Tenchi is a god and Washuu is basically Skuld and Tsunami is Bell. I'm in favor of dropping some of that because I'm having a hard time seeing how two sets of multidimensional deities that don't know about each other can coexist in the same multiverse. Unless someone has some really great ideas.
Simple. It’s a known thing and they’ve all had limiters put on. My group arrived shortly after the events of the 3rd season (which is why Noike is present).

Keep in mind, the power levels involved are irrelevant. Bell dandy has a limiter and she’s well into “Gods and Monsters” territory. (Yes, I know, she’s already a Goddess, but the Japanese downplay the power levels such a title implies because of how Shintoism describes what a god is.)