Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes)
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klemperer_rosette

Six is the most stable number.  I think once they're added, people will notice right away the new blue-colored planets in the sky that don't appear to move at all.  Rough guess based on comparing Earth's albedo (0.29) to Venus' (0.75) and similarish radius and distance (angles when you can actually see Venus at night), and alternate Earths would probably be dimmer than Venus or Jupiter, but brighter than Saturn and Mars (typically).

I'm not sure how stable the configuration is when you add in six Lunas, too.  The moon is pretty large in mass in comparison to Earth.  Anyone have modeling software?  I suspect the configuration is unstable once you add Jupiter in too, but that's just a guess.  You might be able to throw a couple more Earths into separate orbits, especially if you made some retrograde.  Apparently six is the limit of Hill spheres in the habitable zone, but not all points are equally habitable.  It might be safer to put a gas giant in Mars' orbit and throw a few Earths around that, tidal forces and reflected light from the giant would heat up that part of the orbit.

Actually if you seriously want to know more, read this guy's series on The Ultimate Solar System.

And I hope one of them isn't Mondas.

Did someone mention Slayers?  I've had this in my notes file forever:
Quote:"I saw her use the card, and I realized, whoa, magic is real!" Tomo enthused.

"Sure seems that way," Yomi agreed.

"So, hold my beer and watch this!"  Tomo passed Yomi a bottle of Ramune.

"Oh boy."

Tomo raised her arms dramatically towards the ocean, and began chanting, "Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood -- guh!"

Yomi whapped Tomo on the head, hard.  "For crying out loud, no evil magic!"

"Waaaa that hurt."

"I don't want you summoning an Elder God.  If magic is real and fiction is real: just have some goddamn sense Tomo!"

Tomo mumbled, "Elder God.  That spell wouldn't even work unless Shabra—"

"Huh?"

"Maybe that was a dumb idea," Tomo blushed.

Yomi stared down at Tomo and blinked a couple of times, entirely taken aback.  About ten seconds later, "Of course it was a dumb idea.  Geez."
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes) - by Labster - 09-19-2018, 11:27 PM