Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes)
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes)
(12-22-2018, 05:08 AM)Labster Wrote: I have been wondering, on a metaphysical level, if there are certain universes that can't be dumped into ours.  We've been using a computer metaphor, but take the metaphor/location from The Magician's Nephew.  If you imagine it to be a flood in that Wood Between the Worlds, then little bits of water (story) all get dumped together into the Metacontinuity.  But well, some universes just aren't there any more.  Charn is gone by the end of the book, and Narnia is created in its place.  And by the end of the next book, Narnia is gone too (#spoilers).  Is there something about the timestream on how recently something has been written in our universe that makes it "available" to us?  Just for note, the oldest character we've written about so far is HAL-9000.

That's part of why I mentioned analogies in two different scenes of Donaldson en Kazakiri, and our looking in on the beginning of that crisis shows the analogies that we can grasp shifting depending on who's talking. IMHO, we beings who are confined to 3+1 dimensions (three spatial and one temporal) simply cannot understand what is really happening in the Metacontinuity. In my SI's building, Kuroko would be able to come the closest because she needed to learn 11-dimensional mathematics in order to be able to teleport, but even she can only grasp a "Plato's shadow" of the reality.

On a meta level, I'd say anything that doesn't clash with what we've already planned should be okay, no matter how old it might be (if you really want The Epic of Gilgamesh, grab it) - but Norgarth raises a good point about some universes having conflicting rules of nature.

On a story level... hmmmmm... Perhaps displacees are drawn to people who can act as anchors for them, and the managers can only anchor displacees from works that they're familiar with? (Read more books, watch more shows, and get more displacees as a result?)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT] Galaxy Building (Where we make Magrathea look like small potatoes) - by robkelk - 12-22-2018, 12:15 PM