Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update
Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update
Quote:Microsoft has stopped distributing its latest Windows 10 October 2018 Update. The software giant started rolling out the update during the company’s Surface event earlier this week, but some Windows 10 immediately noticed their documents were being deleted. “We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating,” says Microsoft on its support site for Windows Update

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944...ate-paused
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
RE: Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update
I just don't understand how such horrible bugs get by the radar when there's supposedly thousands of people alpha- and beta-testing this stuff for them.
(10-09-2018, 02:09 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I just don't understand how such horrible bugs get by the radar when there's supposedly thousands of people alpha- and beta-testing this stuff for them.

Windows is a Microsoft product.

It is also spelled "J O B S E C U R I T Y" for people like me. Dodgy  Big Grin  As long as they continue to ship such up to date, user friendly, and bug free software, my business partners and myself will not lack for work.  Cool
Just as I knew all of Life's Answers... they changed all the Questions!!
Quote:
There is one thing you don't put in a trap, if you're smart, if you value your continued existance, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there is one thing you never, ever put in a trap.
And what would that be sir?
Me.
- Dr Who
My figuring is the subconscious thought of, "I don't have to look to hard, someone else will catch what I miss" that is collective responsibility
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

It's things like this why my one machine still infected with a Microsoft OS has the drivers for it's wireless card uninstalled and no Ethernet cable attached, while everything else is on various flavors of Linux. The first install was a little scary, sure, fear of the unknown and all... but "Linux still not ready for the desktop" was 20th century, we're living in THE 21ST CENTURY WORLD OF TOMORROW! now, and while distros that require even the clueful to regularly check their man pages and/or spend an hour or two searching forum and Stack Exchange posts do exist, so too do "you put the disk in, it asks you if you want to install, you click yes, and then it works" distros. Or even "you plug the USB stick in, it asks you if you want to reboot from that, you click yes, and it works, then you turn it off and take the USB out when you want to switch back." I'm on Linux 24/7, and the only time I use a command line is when I want to do a system backup.

(Which I should do more often, of course. So should you.)

Certainly, there are the occasional glitch, bug, or vulnerability found. They usually get resolved PDQ, too, and apparently undergo a much more rigorous testing phase, perhaps because "free and open source" is practically a religion for some people.
--
‎noli esse culus
Yes, well in Linux, if you screw up you're covered by your EULA's. People just don't download your distro until you fix it.

Microsoft is a multinational corporation with their OS installed on billions of machines around the world. If they screw up one of their 'distros', then it can cost them tens of millions of US Dollars. DAILY. Until they fix it. Granted, this is mostly on the stock market, but even so. They have pretty good motivation to not screw up like this.

Not to mention that someone could very likely sue Microsoft for losses caused by the OS arbitrarily deleting sensitive data.