Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soyuz program makes history
Soyuz program makes history
The first-ever ballistic descent of a crewed capsule took place today, when the second-stage booster of the launch rocket suffered an emergency shutdown. Alexey Ovchinin of Roscosmos and Nick Hague of NASA were aboard; both survived the descent and are reported as being in good condition.

AP: 2 astronauts safe after Soyuz forced to make emergency landing
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Soyuz program makes history
So that's what I heard a fragment of on the radio this morning. Wow.

Thanks for posting that, Rob.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
A succesful failure, so.

If that'd been a Vatican space program, neither astronaut or cosmonaut would've survived.

Either way, there's something a little bit rotten with the Russian space program. It's hard to escape the sense that quality control is starting to go out the window - either because of management growing fat on its laurels, or a workforce too afraid to report any issues that occur in production in case they get utterly shat on by a fat management desperate to scapegoat someone to hide their own ineptitude.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Yeah. Two missions in the same year, in a program that's supposedly using mature technology. Something's wrong there.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's probably just old technology, much like the space shuttles which NASA phased out because they were too dangerous or expensive.
Just because technology is old doesn't mean it's dangerous. It's how its used that makes it dangerous.

As mentioned before, the Soyuz system is a mature one - its well understood and robust. There are no undocumented features, and thus far there seems to have been no gremlins left in the design.

This, more likely than not, was a manufacturing defect - one in a process where quality assurance program should not have failed because they know damn well what a defect will do. We just saw it happen.
Epsilon may have meant old as in 'they've been reusing that piece of equpment for 20 years and it's wearing out'
Possibly... but the Soyuz rockets are single-use, IIRC.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-13-2018, 04:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: Possibly... but the Soyuz rockets are single-use, IIRC.

Yes, but is the factory single use? Wear and tear doesn't just happen to the final product.
(10-14-2018, 03:25 AM)Epsilon Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 04:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: Possibly... but the Soyuz rockets are single-use, IIRC.

Yes, but is the factory single use? Wear and tear doesn't just happen to the final product.

Generally, a good QA program renders that a moot point as the finished product is that which is inspected.