Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter Three Now Available
Re: claimed
Quote:
"There was Another, once, the Warrior, Eternity...
Actually, I took one look at that line, and I recalled some speculation on a thread more than a year ago, based on a fragment which may or may not be part of the final product. And a horrible corner of my mind suggested that what Skuld's sad about is that this "Eternity" Fell -- I picked up a bit of the meaning of that from OMB -- and if that fragment does make it in, they're gonna ask Doug to help somehow in redeeming her, or whatever it's called in the In Nomine system. And the speculation on the thread dealt with just who she was....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: Chapter Three Now Available
Quote:
THere is a possibly entertaining scene we could do with that, but I don't know if we could fit it in.
Talk to me. Let me know what you have in mind, and we'll see if we can fit it in.
I'll bring the crowbars.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Heh. Okay, I'll explain.
I recall seeing, on these boards, the raising of the issue of just what a god was, in story, if not just something really scary-powerful.
The answer involved a metauniversal 'overself' that manifests in difference places and in different manners in accordance with the circumstances - comperable to one person playing different characters in different game worlds, except usually not as frivolous.
As a tangent - or possibly the root, I can't recall - of this conversation, the question came up of 'If the Norns have other characters out there, and if In Nomine has a bearing on this setting, where do they come out?'
My memory fails to produce who Bob trotted out as Urd and Skuld's 'archangel' PCs (Janus and Jean, maybe?), but Bell's was just too brain-breaking to forget.
Khalid.
Khalid... is Belldandy.
Snrk.
I love it.
Ja, -n
(At least partly amused because Khalid gives him the heebie-jeebies even without the slight echoes he brings up of scary-eyed semetic types in dynamite underoos.)

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Quote:
My memory fails to produce who Bob trotted out as Urd and Skuld's 'archangel' PCs (Janus and Jean, maybe?), but Bell's was just too brain-breaking to forget.
But that's spelled out in Chapter Three. Skuld tells Megumi. Hers is Uriel -- I particularly recall her saying that she doesn't have much of him, but enough that she really dislikes perverts. I'm about to fall asleep at my keyboard, so I can't remember who she said was Urd's. And she also said Bell wasn't really all that much Khalid.
-----
This may have been mentioned already; if so then I apologise for flogging the dead horse:
Quote:
Oh, no. Spawn are nasty evil things, but little more than beasts as far as intelligence is concerned. Every once in a while one sneaks across Asgards borders, and everyone turns out to hunt it down. You have to kill them because they wont back down or retreat, and if you leave them theyll just destroy everything they run into. She shuddered. Nasty things, she repeated. Take a whole lot to kill, too, though there was this one time a little mortal girl with a wooden sword defeated one all by herself.
I raised an eyebrow. Really?
Urd set down the jar and crouched down to check the level in the cylinder. Oh, yeah. You wouldnt believe the party we threw her when we found out.
Is this a reference to a certain Ash Knight?
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Quote:
I might need a reread but... nothing immediately jumps to mind about that Ash Knight and spawn mixing it up on screen Sad_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was
supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja airstrikes
at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
Check the concordance. Short answer - yes, it was a nod to Eyrie.

As for correspondance, while the it is *very* minor in these cases it's:
Skuld - Uriel: Shared aspect of Purity
Belldandy - Khalid: Shared aspect of fidelity (fidelity being seen as a sub-word of Faith)
Urd - Yves: shared aspect of... well, we never really spell it out. I'd say History.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Quote:
Christopher, the Archangel of Children: The name alone would freak Paradox *right out*. Other than that, I think Paradox would have no issues.
From what I've seen of Christopher (who was my chosen Patron when I played In Nomine), almost none of the other Archangels have any problem with him. He's a little like Yves, outside the politics because of his Word. He really only gets problematic when children are threatened, so he might have problems with War Gods for that reason. In Nomine describes him as a cross between Santa Claus and Mr. Rogers, completely benevolent in appearance and always with gifts for children. His angels have the ability to be invisible to adults when around children without effort.
As a bit of trivia, according to the Catholic Church, Michael is the actual patron angel of children. So Christopher might, in an odd metaphysical way, be an aspect of the same Overself as the Archangel of War.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Quote:
Yes. We have a link in the concordance, even.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
As a bit of trivia, according to the Catholic Church, Michael is the actual patron angel of children. So Christopher might, in an odd metaphysical way, be an aspect of the same Overself as the Archangel of War.
Huh.
Hmm.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Doug's getting an orichalcum motorcycle???
Oh, no, not at all. I was under the impression that orichalcum was somewhat more gold-like in color.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
(Janus is Archangel of "The Wind" - his brief is to shake things up, usually by stealing, er, moving around items of personal significance. The only canonical writeup he has so far is in the core rulebook.)
Janus is also -- as far as I can tell from what material I've read and some snickering cryptic comments by Beth "Archangel Beth" McCoy -- the Demon Prince of Theft Valefor (I think that's the name, it's been a while). The very name "Janus" is a big clue, but study the gifts and talents and whatnot their servants get -- they're identical.
Plus, no one has ever seen the two of them in a room together at the same time..
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
'Great' is a single syllable word. It isn't LONG enough to have the effect you describe happen to it!
Doug's stretching it out, and it's not that long a process to take off his helmet.
Quote:
This line put me in mind of the three Greek hags who only had one eye between them that they passed around amongst themselves. (Might even have been the Fates.) Was that on purpose?
It was.
Quote:
Now I'm curious. Concordance this? After googling - essentialmetal.com - a collection of hard rock and heavy metal music releases. *facepalms* I should have know it'd be something like that.
The term is from the magic system for GURPS. "Essential X" is used to indicate the pure elemental version of various substances, usually the Platonic elements: Essential Fire, Essental Water, etc. Metal is an "element" in most Asian systems, so there is an "Essential Metal" to go with the others. Doug knows the alchemical/magical theory and procedures behind its extraction and the practical uses for the stuff.
This is in fact a Chekhov's Gun for something Doug will be doing in DW13.
Quote:
Hmm, would this be why Belldandy corrects herself in Chapter 2, talking about how long Chris will be with them?
Nice catch. Yes.
Quote:
Hmm, I seem to remember Keiichi couldn't (wasn't allowed to?) remember this, even after the recall incident, although certainly this can be counted AU to this universe.
This U is very A. Keiichi remembers.
Quote:
Yeah, but how much help did he have for it? Could he do it again by himself? And probably having to face more than a single god in the bargain?
How much help is covered in DW2 when Doug first broaches the subject of gods in his narration, in the Christmas Eve incident. He got the last blow in during a massive dogpile/melee. As for the other questions, well, in the first scene of chapter 4, the divine residents of the house work out answers for themselves.
Quote:
The final scene offers a pretty interesting look into the psychology of the mind of each character. Don't really know how to explain what I mean by that, though. Still, I liked it.
No need to explain, I think we both know what you mean. Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Sorry, but I took this as a reflection of the Shin'a'in Goddess, who is Maiden, Warrior, Mother, and Crone in turn...
-- Bob
---------
(Doug's bike - orichalcum?)
Quote:
Oh, no, not at all. I was under the impression that orichalcum was somewhat more gold-like in color.
That depends on the source material... but I've been led to believe by folks who actually read ancient Greek that orichalcum is extremely close to ruddy-copper-coloured.
Ah, well... it would have been so nifty if it was. But I'm sure you've got something even niftier planned...

(Archangels)
Quote:
Janus is also -- as far as I can tell from what material I've read and some snickering cryptic comments by Beth "Archangel Beth" McCoy -- the Demon Prince of Theft Valefor (I think that's the name, it's been a while). The very name "Janus" is a big clue, but study the gifts and talents and whatnot their servants get -- they're identical.
Except for Lilim and Bright Lilim... But I don't have a copy of Superiors 4 (where Valefor's big writeup can be found), so what do I know?

(Edit: really-long "Great")
Quote:
Doug's stretching it out, and it's not that long a process to take off his helmet.
I'm reminded of a certain cereal's spokes-tiger here...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Funny, the same thought occured to me whilst I was shopping today, Rob!
"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
I'm reminded of a certain cereal's spokes-tiger here...
First thing I thought of, when I read Honorbridge's quibble....
-----
What's the alloy?
Quote:
(Doug's bike - orichalcum?)
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That depends on the source material... but I've been led to believe by folks who actually read ancient Greek that orichalcum is extremely close to ruddy-copper-coloured.
Ah, well... it would have been so nifty if it was. But I'm sure you've got something even niftier planned...
Rob, you're right on orichalum being copper colored. But I can help thinking on this analogy:
Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin. Tin has a silver-like appearance. Could the new frame be made out of an alloy of orichalum and mithril?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Alloy speculations
Quote:
Rob, you're right on orichalum being copper colored. But I can help thinking on this analogy:
Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin. Tin has a silver-like appearance. Could the new frame be made out of an alloy of orichalum and mithril?
With the dragon's blood? I know that there is a mythical alloy of steel that involves/requires equal portions of blood from both gods and demons... starts with a 'U'.
Depending upon the alloy, the frame could act as a combination Faraday cage/ portable Heartstone (hearthstone?).
Think of it as a kind of power conditioner/ uninteruptible powersource for mana.
Skuld's subconscience at work.
Re: Alloy speculations
Guys? You're overthinking this.
-- Bob
---------
Overthinking things is one of those things that some young men are into these days, I guess? '.'
-Morgan, can state with certainty that the bike's frame is not made out of eladmarium! Of course, that has no practical meaning. '.'"I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, or espers here, come sleep with me."
---From "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
-----(Not really)
For the briefest moment, Adamantium suddenly popped into my head, but that wouldn't be right, would it?
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"But first, let's test it on the penguin."
"Meep?" O.o

Okay, just to clarify. Skuld's alloy is nothing specific in myth or fiction -- it's just something light and strong she cooked up for the purposes of the story. As for other mystic metals, well... here's a snippet from DW13 that's going into the Concordance to explain "essential metal":
Quote:
"Different cultures had different names for it: godsteel, uru, adamantium. ... It has all the best properties of all the metals -- the lightness of lithium, the strength of steel and titanium, the corrosion resistance of gold, the conductivity of copper..."
Skuld's alloy isn't this stuff.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Skuld frowned. "I'm not sure. My current test rigs don't seem to stress it any, so I'll have to build new ones."
Well, it sure is strong as all hell if her testing equipment can't stress it at all. I'm kinda wondering if it's some sort of light-weight rare-earth alloy now.
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"But first, let's test it on the penguin."
"Meep?" O.o

Its Skuldanium. properties of which we'll be seeing in future chapters Tongue_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja airstrikes
at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. THERE IS ONLY WAR!
-Same friend.