Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to spot a pattern of denials
How to spot a pattern of denials
Information 
In this particular case, How to spot a pattern of denials in the #MeToo movement, but it applies elsewhere, too.

It's a simple pattern with the acronym DARVO:
  1. Deny
  2. Accuse
  3. Reverse Victim Order

First, deny it ever happened. Second, accuse the accuser of making up the accusation. Third, reverse the victim order and claim you're the one being victimized.

We'll use the example in the article to show how it works: the accusation made by Ford against Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings. Kavanaugh is a judge; if he had said something along the lines of looking forward to facing his accuser in a court of law where they would both be under oath, everybody would have assumed that he had nothing to hide. But he didn't do that; he did a DARVO.

Deny:
Brett Kavanaugh Wrote:The drinking age was 18 in Maryland for most of my time in high school and was 18 in D.C. for all of my time in high school. I drank beer with my friends. Almost everyone did. Sometimes I had too many beers. Sometimes others did. I liked beer. I still like beer. But I did not drink beer to the point of blacking out and I never sexually assaulted anyone.
(It's difficult to prove a negative, so we're at "he said, she said" territory here.)

Accuse:
Brett Kavanaugh Wrote:Dr. Ford's allegation is not merely uncorroborated, it is refuted by the very people she says were there, including by a longtime friend of hers. Refuted.
(Note that at no time did Kavanaugh ever provide evidence of this claim. What makes one person's statement more or less believable than another person's statement? He's saying here that the statements that support him were true and the statements that don't weren't, with no evidence whatsoever regarding any of the statements.)

Reverse Victim Order:
Brett Kavanaugh Wrote:This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record, revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.
(Note that at no time did Kavanaugh ever provide evidence of this claim... but he's doing a lot of saying poor-little-him-is-the-victim.)

I'm sure you can recall at least a half-dozen other examples of the DARVO tactic having been used in the last six years.

Why do it? Quoting from the article:

Quote:University of Oregon psychology professor and Stanford fellow Jennifer Freyd, said that the reason it gets used frequently is that it works.

"I did not expect ... that so many people actually found the DARVO convincing. But it makes sense. I mean that's why people use it," said Freyd.

So, pay attention the next time somebody makes a lot of noise about not having done something he's been accused of doing.

See whether that person then goes on to make a counter-claim, then goes on again to say he's been victimized.

It's a deflection tactic - and now you know what to look for.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: How to spot a pattern of denials
It's not a method I've ever had to use.

Anyone who's ever accused me of doing is just trying to make me look bad because they know how evil a thing it is to do.

People always do that because they just want themselves to feel imprtanmmt

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.