Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Fun] Music thread? Music thread.
RE: [OOC][Fun] Music thread? Music thread.
(12-26-2018, 06:16 PM)Labster Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 05:13 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 01:17 AM)Labster Wrote: I do like your idea for an AMV.  It reminds me that I need to write two in-character songfics.

Quote:I've waited a lifetime
For the age of wonder
A place that I remember
In a splinter of time
Ah yes, the sunlit garden.  Or was it the Dream Time?

You'll have to clue me in on that one - that's obviously a reference to something and it's too vague for Google.

The first is really "Hikari Sasu Niwa", the name of an episode and a musical composition in Utena, which is itself a reference to the Garden of Eden.  The second is well, aboriginal dreamtime.

There are actually a whole class of myths about a time of creation where the world was whole, but we end up living in the incomplete world anyway, like the Ainulindalë.  Somehow the future itself is already manifest, but we can't reach it.  Uh, anyway, neat song.

Ah, okay then.  Little iffy about the whole creation aspect.  I myself kinda take it as those memories of a time when we're little kids, and everything is real to us - like somewhere, we just know that there's a Luke Skywalker and Han Solo; that somewhere there is a Batman and Superman; that somewhere there is a Voltron and Sailor Moon; and that somehow they can all gather together for a big knock-down drag-out battle between good and evil.  (At least, that's how I was when I was a little critter.  YMMV.)

Anyhow, for all I know it could be a bit of both.  Until someone can sit down and talk to Ronan Harris about the lyrics, we're all kinda spitballing here.

(12-26-2018, 06:16 PM)Labster Wrote: The Picard thing was a joke on the word "engage".

Ah, gotcha.  Should have realized that.  Tongue

(12-26-2018, 06:16 PM)Labster Wrote:
BA Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 01:17 AM)Labster Wrote: Back on topic, it's hard to see it being used as an anthem -- there's really not much in the way of dynamics in the song, or narrative flow.  But it can certainly be a leitmotif.

I wasn't aware that an Anthem had to be narrative.  From what I've been able to glean from a skimming of the wikipedia article, that's mainly as a result of the first Anthems being liturgical songs.  Other much more contemporary songs have been used as anthems for sporting events, such as Queen's "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions".

And as for dynamism...  I think that can be part of theme.  We aren't interested in change so much for the sake of change, but instead progressing ever forward.  You want a good engine for that.  And most engines don't change much during operation - it's a steady mechanism, moving through its cycle over and over again.

I didn't say anything about dynamism, I said it doesn't have dynamics.  I think this really just means I'm just not that into electronica, as it's a symptom of the whole genre.

Oh.  Huh.  Guess that's one of the things I like about electronica.  Don't get me wrong, I love classical, but it gets annoying as all hell when I gotta constantly adjust the volume in order to hear things.  (Though this is more likely than not because I may have Audio Processing Disorder.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][Fun] Music thread? Music thread. - by Black Aeronaut - 12-26-2018, 08:20 PM