Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Fun] Music thread? Music thread.
RE: [OOC][Fun] Music thread? Music thread.
Heh.

Hey Dartz?  A challenge to the 33 Stars: Radiohead's Videotape

It is a lot more complicated than it actually sounds, as this video describes:

That's right.  It has a fast beat - frenetically so - but it's hidden under the syncopation of that deceptively simple piano line.  The girls can pull it off, I'm sure.  But even their Buma brains, which are modeled after human brains, will have to actually stop and think about it.  "Okay, my brain wants the note to go here, but it's actually supposed to go THERE... Damn, these guys are good!"

As for the psychological/emotional side...

Some might think of this as a suicide note, but really, it's more of an "In case I don't make it, I made this videotape, and hopefully it'll give you some closure" thing.

Breaking it down, the first lines he speaks of being in front of the pearly gates, but then Mephistopheles is there, trying to drag him down.  This speaks of Faust, of course, who lived his life always in the pursuit of happiness - happiness that he never really discovered until the end of his life - hence the ending line about that day being the most perfect one ever.

What makes the day he made the videotape so perfect is perhaps the Faustian Epiphany; that suddenly, despite the terrible things in his life, all the heartbreak and sorrow, he is finally able to realize all the good and beautiful things he's experienced, and how the person the tape is addressed to is at the center of all that has brought him joy.

The red blue green bit is nothing special - it simply reiterates the idea that this is all on a videotape, because each television pixel is actually three pixels - one red pixel, one blue pixel, and one green pixel.  You can see this even on one of Apple's Retina displays by plopping a drop of water on the screen.  Nifty stuff, I tell ya.

The final verse is the real heart breaker.

This is my way of saying goodbye
Because I can't do it face to face
I'm talking to you after-

No matter what happens now
You shouldn't be afraid
Because I know today has been
The most perfect day I've ever seen

It's so difficult to find the right words to say that they never come at the right time.  The best he can do is to make this video tape, trying to reassure those he loved - even if he couldn't ever say it right, he did feel it, and they shouldn't feel sad because they gave him that happiness, that light in his life when everything else had gone to hell.

Unfortunately, I can't find the album version of the track on Youtube.  Even the one that someone uploaded that says its the album version is actually Thom Yorke soloing it with just his voice and a piano.  If you guys want to listen to it, it should be available on your streaming service du jour.

(EDIT: Though if you'd rather have it on CD or something, no worries. The rest of the album is just as stellar as this track, especially if you love music with hidden layers to it.)

This would be the song for Ben's own epiphany - that he can now just let the past go because he's already moved past it.  Ironic as it sounds, this happens sometimes - that someone can get caught up in things, and before they realize it their life, mindset, and paradigm has completely changed.  And they won't realize this until their past suddenly comes back to haunt them... but it doesn't.

And that day?  That will be the most perfect day.  The day Ben realizes that he is truly, at long last, free.

And he will put it all on a video tape, kept in a safe place, not to be played until the day he never comes home again, so that those that loved him will know.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][Fun] Music thread? Music thread. - by Black Aeronaut - 05-03-2019, 06:13 AM