Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synchronicity strikes again! One for the concordance!
Synchronicity strikes again! One for the concordance!
Was reading up on a link provided in the general forum, about the Computer "Panic Button", and when I suggested that I had wanted a particular sound quote of Hal for my computer's shutdown cycle, I was pointed to a 2001 page that had it.
In going through the extensive links on the page, I came across something in the FAQ which startled me just a tad - this passage right here:
Quote:
3 Whereabouts in the script does Dave say, "My God, it's full of stars"?

There was never a point at which a script was produced for "2001: A Space Odyssey" and then followed nice and neatly scene by scene. Gary Lockwood (Frank Poole), responding to a question about the script at an appearance in 1997, was having none of it. Instead, the film was developed piece by piece (which was evidently very frustrating for Arthur C. Clarke, who was constantly making corrections as Stanley Kubrick's own ideas developed). I have a copy of a "script" myself, however it differs considerably from both the film and the book, and as it was never officially published I will not use it as a reference source (except for the sake of occasional vague interest).
"My God, it's full of stars" were Dave's final words in the book, in Chapter 39 - Into the Eye. In the film, Kubrick was perhaps thinking about Bogart in "Casablanca" at the time, as Dave signs off with "Sing it for me", and we all know what that led to. Which left the "full of stars" quote handy when Peter Hyams and the Hollywood spin merchants were casting around for a cute "tag" line for the 1984 production of "2010". They could pretend that Dave really was heard to say it, because it was printed in the book. At least they did not have to make anything up themselves.
A note from correspondent Bernard advises me that novelist Ken MacLeod has taken the "borrowing" a stage further. In "The Cassini Division", the only observer who witnesses Ganymede disintegrating into a zillion rectangular pieces mutters: "My stars, it's full of Gods". Though, since no-one else was around, it seems rather wasted.
So - the "My stars, it's full of Gods" line, that Doug uses as a joke at the morning get-together has yet another literary reference.
So, time to go update the concordance again, eh? ^_^-Logan
-----------------
"This kind of thing tends invariably to devolve into the kind of "No, Nakajima, THIS is true power!!" argument that only really works if you're yelling it from the cockpit of a giant robot . . ."
-----------------