Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[I/OOC] Incidental Bits
RE: [I/OOC] Incidental Bits
(01-29-2019, 02:51 PM)Labster Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 01:21 PM)Inquisitive Raven Wrote: Let me state for the record that I loathe the word "incant." AFAICT, it's a back-formation from "incantation" that was invented by fanfic writers. English already has a perfectly good word for the purpose, "chant." Note that both "chant" and "incantation" have the same Latin root; they just entered the English language via different, ahem, routes.

Also Grammarly flagged "incant" as an error while I was writing this reply and dictionary.com doesn't recognize the word. I checked.

Sorry to leave you disenchanted.  I'll recant the word I decanted just as soon as I can canter over to the edit post button, and cantilever that word right out.
(01-29-2019, 04:30 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I just can't...
IKR? Tongue
(01-29-2019, 08:21 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: At least you're not dealing with the giant or the dwarf.

Yeah, Ben Sisko is the only one who understands those guys.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
AFTER ARC 4

For those without wiki access, the Rideau is a Danube-class runabout with a Washuu-tech engine, gifted to Ami Mizuno's family after an important battle yet to be named, let alone written.

Deep space
March 3, 2044

"Captain's Log. The Rideau's sensors have detected an anomalous body three Astronomical Units off the port bow and below the ship. I have asked the rest of the ship's crew to join me in the cockpit. End recording."

The first to arrive was the ship's LMH, who rezzed into existence behind the captain's chair. "What's going on, Rei?"

"I have never seen readings quite like these, Rei Misaka replies."

"And you're worried enough to lapse into very old speech patterns."

Next to arrive was the ship's surgeon and science officer - despite the decades, she still looked almost exactly like the LMH that was patterned off her. "What sort of readings?"

"This sort, Ami." Rei pointed at the science station's monitor.

Ami sat at the science station and looked at the display. "This ... doesn't make sense. Have you ever seen anything like this, Akemi?"

The LMH looked over her shoulder. "There is nothing remotely like that in either the Federation or Juraian databases that I have been programmed with."

At this point, the rest of the crew arrived. Mii took the seat beside Rei, while Hyoga took the remaining seat. "Guess I'll stand," muttered Rob.

Mii switched on the tactical display, focused on the object, and stared at the display. "That's not possible."

"You're married to a Sailor Senshi, a clone, an angel, and me, and you think something isn't possible?" Rob looked over her shoulder at the screen. "That isn't possible. Or, rather, that's just barely possible, and only with magical intervention. Hyoga, check the passive scanners, please. Where's that body's magic flux read on the scale?"

"It's right off the scale."

"Figures." Rob looked at the real-colour image of the body displayed on Mii's monitor: a turtle swimming through space, with four elephants on its back and a disc of land on the elephants' backs. "I recommend avoiding it - the last thing we need is to land in or near Anhk-Morpork."

Rei sighed. "Mii, plot its course, please. Hyoga, signal Earth that we've spotted it; maybe somebody else will want to take a look."

"Aye, captain."

If anybody else wants their SI and related displacees to go exploring here, feel free. This is as far as I'm taking this.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Heeee. Ben would go, just to see if he can score himself a chest of Traveling Luggage. Wink
(02-03-2019, 12:32 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Heeee.  Ben would go, just to see if he can score himself a chest of Traveling Luggage.  Wink

well, they are fairly common in the Counterweight Continent (I just read Interesting Times last month) Big Grin
Feel free! Here's hoping the gods in Dunmanefestin will let you take off again - they said "no more spaceflight" at the end of The Last Hero.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-21-2018, 05:08 AM)Black Aeronaut, in the Galaxy Building thread Wrote: As for BSG and nBSG... I'm a bit shaky on that. Part of me wants to make it some we can go into the Colonies guns blazing to counter the Cylon Offensive, but that would be contingent on us knowing they were there, and knowing that shit was about to go down. We'll probably have to settle for coming in just after Ragnar Anchorage in nBSG, and the equivalent in BSG.

However, what we can do is throw them both together in the same space. This will confuse the hell out of the Cylons as suddenly there's two groups of them, and they're gonna be spending precious time challenging each other. Meanwhile, the non-networked Battlestars from BSG are going to be like "Any port in a storm!" and immediately go to aid their networked cousins from nBSG, buying THEM the time they need to clear out the virus and go to work.

This would wind up saving a lot more lives, and getting our characters the time they need to muster a fleet and go in to kick ass and take names.

"Hey guys! They're not shielded. MAKE THEM BLEED!!!"

Rob clenched his fists and squinted... and stayed that way for a half-minute.

"Are you okay?"

"Can't... talk... now... Okay, sorry." He relaxed and took a deep breath.

Ami looked at him with concern. "What was wrong?"

"Nothing was wrong; I just needed to concentrate. Remember my ability?"

"How could I forget?"

"And remember what cometary nucleii are made of?"

Ami's face went pale. "You didn't."

"I did."

"He did... what?" asked Hyoga.

The viewscreen showing the Cylon Basestar at the rear of the opposing force suddenly flared white... then showed a mass of wreckage where that mothership had been.

"Moved four nucelii, very fast, aimed at the Basestar from the points of a tetrahedron around the ship. Moving them with icebending instead of propulsion systems means the Cylons never saw them approach, and it looks like Belldandy guided my aim there. 'Doc' Smith called that a nutcracker, although he only used two space rocks at a time."

"You killed them. All of them." Hyoga looked at Rob reproachfully.

"And I never want to do that again... but they were doing their best to kill us."

"Any other Basestars in the area will be watching for that trick now; we probably can't do it again anyway," Mii replied.

"So let's get the hell out of here and let the others clean up the Raiders."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Fumi Misaka announces, This… is Misaka Network 23 News." The title card displayed, showing graphics in shades of blue. The ticking clock face turned then flipped, revealing a Bohr model of an atom. It flipped over again, showing the grinning face of Gekota, before revolving one last time to show a rotating Earth. "Tonight, our top stories, Fumi enumerates:"
This is likely to happen later on, but I figure what the hell...

“Yeah well it looks like Ruby and Weiss also have feelings for each other, so that will definitely be another triad.  And what started out as a love triangle has become a septagon by my count.”

“... OH HELL NO.  YOU DID NOT JUST QUOTE HOSHINO RURI!”

“What’s wrong~?” vamped Washu.  “Afraid that a little transhuman girl is gonna fall for you~?”

“Keep that up.  If Ruri does somehow show up and declare herself for me, then I WILL tell Mihoshi you wanted her to help you with something in the lab.”

“... YOU WOULDN’T.”

“Then quit tempting Murphy, dagnabsit.”

Yeah, Washu and Ben give each other as good as they get.  Wink
Oh, and what are the odds that a ship bay at Starbase 1 would somehow get filled with the Nadesico? Big Grin

(Stick it between the Protector and the Orville...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Inspired by yesterday and today's weather - and, yes, I did have to go in to work through this.

"It's only 40 cm of snow. Why would they close the schools?" Mii noticed just a hint of a smile playing on Rob's face.

"Rob-oji, they closed the schools!"

"Wow. That doesn't happen very often. Fine; everybody can help me clear the snow from the walkway and the parking lot."

"Rob-san..." Ami began.

"I know, I know - I can move it mentally on my own."

"I was just going to say that we hired a service to clear the lot for us."

"Right. Then we can figure out something we can all do together. Anybody else here ever play Dungeons & Dragons?"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-13-2019, 08:44 PM)robkelk Wrote: Inspired by yesterday and today's weather - and, yes, I did have to go in to work through this.

"It's only 40 cm of snow. Why would they close the schools?" Mii noticed just a hint of a smile playing on Rob's face.

"Rob-oji, they closed the schools!"

"Wow. That doesn't happen very often. Fine; everybody can help me clear the snow from the walkway and the parking lot."

"Rob-san..." Ami began.

"I know, I know - I can move it mentally on my own."

"I was just going to say that we hired a service to clear the lot for us."

"Right. Then we can figure out something we can all do together. Anybody else here ever play Dungeons & Dragons?"
Snark answer is "Yes." followed by "Famicom, Sega, Or Playstation?" Then as he's bringing out the books. "Oh you meant a Tabletop RPG."
Ami of course would want a turn as GM. ...
"Data here,"

"I found something in the scrapyard,"

"Your search for a replacement engine was succesful?"

"Not exactly... I need you to bring some of that Starfleet stuff"

"General Order 1..."

"If this is what I think it is, it doesn't apply"

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(02-16-2019, 06:47 PM)Dartz Wrote: "Data here,"

"I found something in the scrapyard,"

"Your search for a replacement engine was succesful?"

"Not exactly... I need you to bring some of that Starfleet stuff"

"General Order 1..."

"If this is what I think it is, it doesn't apply"

Sounds like he found Alita, from the basic opening of the series...
Lets be the house of the ultraviolent dystopias

Led by an android from a fruitopia. Who will calmly reveal that he, while onboard the Enterprise, witnessed an 21st century level industrial civilisation fail in a mission to deflect a 'dinosaur killer' and be annihilated by it. All 8 billion of them.

Obviously, this episode of Star Trek never made it to air.,

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

Maybe it did make it to air, and they hacked a happy ending onto "Pen Pals"?

EDIT: On second thought: Leave to to Dartz to want a grimdark ST:TNG. Rolleyes
I could grimdark fucking Barney the mood I'm in at the moment. It's probably why my output has been a bit mediocre these days

I drove 4 hours to Cork to pick up a guitar. 3 hours North to Galway to find an am,plifier. 2 Hours East Back to Dublin, then another 2 hours North to Belfast.

Set up. Sound Check. Rehearsed. Played a 2 hour show. Enjoyed the main event. Packed our shit

Then drove 2 hours back to Dublin at 4am. Awake, alert and focused the entire time on the pure mechanics of the task at hand.

And realised in a real and existential manner, that I really wasn't human. I couldn't stop laughing - for nearly an hour until I finally convinced myself to sleep. Even if only for the comfort of waking up in the morning.

I felt liberated from the weight of something, even if I couldn't place my finger on what. I woke up in the morning, ready to do it again, if I had to. Motivated. Alive even.

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. I think that might be it.

Just random dialogue from the Gdoc. Lou and Meg.

---
"Well, we got back to his place and we were both ready and I was about to - but then I remembered I didn't have to. I told him to stop. That I didn't feel up to it. that I didn't want to do it anymore."

"How'd he take that"

"He didn't like it, "He thought he'd been led on and I thought he was about to make me fight. But I told him No, and he accepted that. We just spent the night together, enjoying a film and then fell asleep."

I didn't ask her why

"So what did you two do?" she turned the question around.

The exact bloody opposite.

This might never happen, but then again...

"Diana, Mimi, and Chibi-Usa are playing in the park with Pugsley and Wednesday."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-03-2019, 11:52 AM)robkelk Wrote: This might never happen, but then again...

"Diana, Mimi, and Chibi-Usa are playing in the park with Pugsley and Wednesday."

River is watching them.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

"Normally, I'd say 'fear not'," Hyoga intoned while transforming into her angel form. "But not to scum like you. Be afraid."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Some time in Arc 2, when there are still hotheads who don't know the meaning of "diplomacy"...

"I must insist that you withdraw that remark and apologize. The United Federation of Planets does not tolerate bigotry of any kind, and we are certainly not bigoted ourselves."

"The available evidence indicates otherwise, ambassador. I offer as my first point of evidence the matter of the M-5 Multitronic Unit, which was powered down on or about Stardate 4731 after the USS Enterprise's chief medical officer deemed him to be not completely sane. Any flesh and blood sophont would have been treated for mental illness, the way that Dr. Daystrom was, but this intelligent being had his existence terminated."

"I remember reading about that in history class. The M-5 Unit killed an entire starship crew and was a threat to other starships. It had to be shut down."

"I offer my second point of evidence: you just called a thinking being 'it', instead of 'him'." After a moment, he continued. "My third point of evidence: the Acts of Cumberland. Those acts allowed an attempt to dismantle a serving Starfleet officer on or around Stardate 42524. My fifth point of evidence: How many Mark 1 Emergency Medical Holograms are still practicing medicine, or for that matter are doing anything other than carrying out menial tasks that could just as easily be performed by unintelligent robots? And these are just the examples that are common knowledge. If you have counter-examples where cybernetic intelligences are treated as equals to flesh and blood intelligences, I'd like to hear them."

"You don't understand. The Borg are a threat -"

"The Borg are flesh and blood with artificial limbs! You can't use them to justify your culture's treatment of cybernetic intelligences. And the majority of the examples I gave you took place before you had ever heard of the Borg. It's obvious that I have no reason to retract my statement."

As the UFP delegation silently stood and left the room instead of replying, everyone else present knew that too much had been said.

(And then Rob and Usagi hear what happened, contact Starfleet, and offer a friendlier face... while suggesting that, yes, there might be something to the complaint raised.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Hey, Alice, I think this page is about you!"

Alice looked, sighed, and told herself yet again that blindly clicking on links Tomo sent her was a majorly bad idea.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"404 Tomcat Ball, 4.5"

"Maverick, shouldn't they be, like, answering us?"