Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm okay
I'm okay
But three people in Ottawa aren't going home tonight.

3 dead in bus crash at Ottawa transit station, as of this posting. Nine more people are in critical condition, and 14 more were also injured. The bus driver has been arrested - and that's all we know at this time.

Photos. I never again want to see a line of ambulances waiting to take people to hospitals.

Posting here because this has not only made the national news but is now the most-read story on the CBC News website... which means there's a chance everybody else might have heard about it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: I'm okay
They're still investigating what happened.

Quote:There were no patients taken to the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario, indicating there were likely no children among the injured.

As of 6:00 a.m. Saturday, Ottawa police said there hasn't been a change in the number of dead or injured.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The first article said the bus driver had been released after questioning, so whatever the reason was for arresting her, the police apparently decided there wasn't yet evidence of wrongdoing that'd justify holding her.

Quote:there were likely no children among the injured.

Well, one piece of hopeful news.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
That does not mean that there wasn't a child killed in the accident.

But at least there won't be more, if there were any.
(01-12-2019, 10:47 AM)DHBirr Wrote: The first article said the bus driver had been released after questioning, so whatever the reason was for arresting her, the police apparently decided there wasn't yet evidence of wrongdoing that'd justify holding her.

The story's been updated, then. (And we've been promised another update later today.)

Distress centre sees increase in calls after fatal bus crash
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I am also okay.
The investigation is ongoing. Nobody has died in the hospital (at least, no additional fatalities have been reported). Radio reports that the hospitals are running short on blood.

We know what happened after the collision.

The Transitway (the buses-only limited-access road where the collision occurred) was still closed as of 3:45pm.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-12-2019, 06:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: Radio reports that the hospitals are running short on blood.

Fatal bus crash motivates residents to donate blood

Everybody who had an appointment to give blood turned up - unusual for a Saturday - and there were more walk-ins than usual.

I know how many units are usually donated on one day. Supplies are probably still low.

(01-12-2019, 06:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: The Transitway (the buses-only limited-access road where the collision occurred) was still closed as of 3:45pm.

It's re-opened (about 10 minutes ago).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Behind the scenes of Friday's code orange at the Ottawa Hospital

Quote:As of Monday morning, every patient in critical condition had been upgraded to serious or stable condition, but the work isn't over yet.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Road conditions were good at the time. No idea whether the windshield of the bus was clean, but they do tend to get dirty in Ottawa at this time of year. And... this was the driver's second collision in as many months.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown