Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginian Successor Quantico
RE: Virginian Successor Quantico
(02-10-2019, 09:38 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Thing is, this is face the nation, it's supposed to be a hard news show that is supposed to actually handle facts, not opinion.

(I'm not disagreeing with you Drogn, I know everyone has a bias, but it still irritates me)

Agreed. And it's not as if FTN deals in soundbites, either - its audience is stereotypically the kind of people who want the in-depth information.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The distinction is also not that important. The line between indentured servitude and slavery is pretty thin.

Although to be fair a lot of the first Europeans that came to the Thirteen Colonies were also indentured servants. The trip was long, dangerous and expensive, so it's very understandable that the people paying for the workforce to move, which is usually rich colonists, would demand a long term commitment from the labourers instead of the risk of them running off into the depths of the continent to settle there.
Five years was the average length of servitude if I remember correctly, and none more than ten years at least so long as you weren't a convict.

I will admit I don't know offhand what brought about the change except the shift later from sustenance crops to cash crops by the colonists, but that was arguably a reasonable amount of time to sign away for a new start.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Here is a historían take on that ‘indentured servants’ comment.

Link for those who cannot see the embed: https://twitter.com/historianess/status/...64800?s=21
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
I will say this: some people really do try to push being 'Politically Correct' so far that it winds up going over the hill and into the other valley. Arguing with conservatives can annoy the hell out of me, but self-righteous ass-clowns that parade themselves as social justice warriors just plain grate on my nerves.