Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Info][Plot][Arc 2] Welcome to Sol System...
[OOC][Info][Plot][Arc 2] Welcome to Sol System...
...A Guide to the Inhabited Worlds, Major Colonies, Settlements, and Space Stations.  Wink

Sol System is gonna get crowded AWFULLY fast, what with Starfleet, the UN Spacy, various corporate entities (don't tell me that Weyland-Yutani and the Resource Development Corporation won't be showing up), different versions of Earth...  Yeah.

So I figure that we could use a seperate thread just for Sol.

Fortunately, there should be plenty of space to actually park everything...  we just need to figure out what all is showing up and how to arrange it all.

Someone - Labster I believe - brought up the idea of have six Earths to not only accommodate various conflicting versions (eg: fantasy settings such as Middle Earth would be emphatically incompatible with Post-Apocalypse Earth where the Mad Maxers would be, or Future Dystopia where we'd have a lot of Cyberpunk, or Utopian Future for Starfleet and Macross).

Talking about Babylon 5 suddenly put the idea of ALL FIVE of the Babylon Stations showing up in Sol (I think I'd like to have Reach show up at Epsilon Eridani, complete with all of its military facilities and shipyards).

They would be useful to have because it's implied that the first four stations were intended to have some degree of mobility as Babylon 4 did.  We can stick B5 at Jupiter where it will be largely safe as the Gas Giant has long since cleared the area of potentially harmful debris.  The other four we can put on the Jupiter-Sol L-Points where their maneuvering systems will help the most.  With this, these can form 'waypoints' going in and out of the Inner System and serve a similar purpose that rail yards here on Earth do - a nexus point for freight so consists going in a similar direction can be formed, allowing large freighters to do what they do best with a minimum amount of dicking around.

How badly would you guys like to see Cloud City in Jupiter's atmosphere?  Makoto would probably like that - industrial might and elegant living all in one package.
RE: [OOC][Info][Plot][Arc 2] Welcome to Sol System...
The Klemperer rosette would probably be stable enough for six earths; I haven't seen any sims, and I'm just working off intuition here.  But I'm not finding anything that seems like too much complication here.  The moon is ~1% of Earth's mass, so that probably won't wobble the system.  Jupiter is too far, and everything else besides the sun is too small.  After doing the calculation for how the calendar works in Aria (tl;dw it doesn't), I'm convinced those orders of magnitude in mass are the only thing that matters.  If I'm wrong, let's just assume that Washuu-chan has already invented a way to do station-keeping for planets.

Either way, I want to put Seyruun on the high fantasy world.  And what about the floating island on Jupiter?  I assume the Gamilons didn't get that yet.  Or hopefully no one mined out the upsidaisium.  But I'm just as interested in a cloud city on Venus.

Should the definition of planet be "an astronomical body large enough to empower a sailor senshi"?  I kinda want to take that one to the IAU.  There wouldn't have to be a currently living sailor guardian, of course.  But you could probably measure if the body's ley line network is complex enough to produce a living guardian.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(02-14-2019, 10:54 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Someone - Labster I believe - brought up the idea of have six Earths to not only accommodate various conflicting versions (eg: fantasy settings such as Middle Earth would be emphatically incompatible with Post-Apocalypse Earth where the Mad Maxers would be, or Future Dystopia where we'd have a lot of Cyberpunk, or Utopian Future for Starfleet and Macross).

I thought you came up with the base idea. I remember being the one to suggest "genre" Earths.

(02-14-2019, 10:54 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: How badly would you guys like to see Cloud City in Jupiter's atmosphere? Makoto would probably like that - industrial might and elegant living all in one package.

As long as it's non-polluting. No killing trees, mkay?

(02-15-2019, 04:03 AM)Labster Wrote: The Klemperer rosette would probably be stable enough for six earths; I haven't seen any sims, and I'm just working off intuition here.

Let's see whether we can get a semi-professional opinion here. (surfs to https://what-if.xkcd.com/ , clicks on "Submit a Question", asks about the effect a Klemperer rosette would have on the rest of the Solar System)

(02-15-2019, 04:03 AM)Labster Wrote: Either way, I want to put Seyruun on the high fantasy world.

"Waaaahhhhh! They're poking fun at me!!!"

"Usagi, it's a compliment! They want to be so much like you that they named their city after you."

"Really?"

Sometimes being a hero means you have to lie. "Yep!" Rob replied.

(02-15-2019, 04:03 AM)Labster Wrote: Should the definition of planet be "an astronomical body large enough to empower a sailor senshi"?  I kinda want to take that one to the IAU.  There wouldn't have to be a currently living sailor guardian, of course.  But you could probably measure if the body's ley line network is complex enough to produce a living guardian.

And then people start asking to be the hosts of the currently-unallocated Star Seeds, and it comes to blows, and Usagi cries again... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(02-15-2019, 09:19 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:03 AM)Labster Wrote: Either way, I want to put Seyruun on the high fantasy world.

"Waaaahhhhh! They're poking fun at me!!!"

"Usagi, it's a compliment! They want to be so much like you that they named their city after you."

"Really?"

Sometimes being a hero means you have to lie. "Yep!" Rob replied.
It's gonna get even weirder if Luna Inverse is the sailor guardian of that Counter-Earth.

(02-15-2019, 04:03 AM)Labster Wrote: Should the definition of planet be "an astronomical body large enough to empower a sailor senshi"?  I kinda want to take that one to the IAU.  There wouldn't have to be a currently living sailor guardian, of course.  But you could probably measure if the body's ley line network is complex enough to produce a living guardian.

And then people start asking to be the hosts of the currently-unallocated Star Seeds, and it comes to blows, and Usagi cries again... Smile

This sounds suspiciously like plot.  Fund it.
Don’t tempt me. I will go out there to find The Forbidden Planet and lay claim to that sucker.  Wink

“Do you know the difference between you and me Doctor? Whenever I start taking myself too seriously, my Id has no compunctions against shoving me down one of Pinkie Pie’s party cannons and lighting that sucker off!”

(What? Don’t tell me you guys forgot already that Animal The Muppet is my true totem spirit? :V )

[Image: tumblr_nua1fk3jGW1s7km96o1_250.gif]
Just want to point out that Babylon 1 thru 3 were destroyed before completing construction
So... the first one fell into the swamp; the second one fell into the swamp; the third one fell into the swamp; the fourth one fell through a timewarp, burned down, then fell into the swamp; but the fifth one stayed up? Smile

Changing tack slightly, I think NASA should be involved in space exploration, too. To save bandwidth, I'll point at this post I just made in Fenspace.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-17-2019, 03:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: So... the first one fell into the swamp; the second one fell into the swamp; the third one fell into the swamp; the fourth one fell through a timewarp, burned down, then fell into the swamp; but the fifth one stayed up? Smile

You will probably not be surprised to learn that you're more than 25 years too late to be the first with that joke.  <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
HAL 9000 is already in the setting.

Therefore, all these worlds are ours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-17-2019, 06:57 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 03:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: So... the first one fell into the swamp; the second one fell into the swamp; the third one fell into the swamp; the fourth one fell through a timewarp, burned down, then fell into the swamp; but the fifth one stayed up? Smile

You will probably not be surprised to learn that you're more than 25 years too late to be the first with that joke.  <grin>

Not much more - the show's only 26 years old, IIRC.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-14-2019, 10:54 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Someone - Labster I believe - brought up the idea of have six Earths to not only accommodate various conflicting versions (eg: fantasy settings such as Middle Earth would be emphatically incompatible with Post-Apocalypse Earth where the Mad Maxers would be, or Future Dystopia where we'd have a lot of Cyberpunk, or Utopian Future for Starfleet and Macross).

I thought you came up with the base idea. I remember being the one to suggest "genre" Earths.

The multiple Earths idea was mine.  It was Labster's idea to have six of them in a Kempler Rosette.

(02-17-2019, 12:34 PM)Norgarth Wrote: Just want to point out that Babylon 1 thru 3 were destroyed before completing construction

This was actually lampshaded in the show when Delen asks Sheridan about it.  In reply, he highlights what is pretty much Humanity's superpower among all the other races: their bloody-minded stubbornness.

An idea for a fun one-shot: how they manage to save all five Babylon Stations.  They first stumble over the incomplete Babylon 1, and then somewhere else someone spots Babylon 2.  At which point, someone goes, "Wow!  It's amazing they haven't blown up yet!"

Que the strained silence as everyone who's seen Babylon 5 has an internal "oh FUCK!!!" moment.

The rest of the story is everyone scrambling to find the rest of the stations, find the bombs, defuse the bombs, and keep that damn Vorlons from taking off with Number 4.

With the epilogue being us getting all the people that came with the Stations sorted out.  Tongue

(02-17-2019, 03:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: Changing tack slightly, I think NASA should be involved in space exploration, too. To save bandwidth, I'll point at this post I just made in Fenspace.

Heh.  You're gonna have NASA, JAXA, ESA, and Roscosmos all in one corner with Starfleet in the other, and their all shooting some very leary looks at each other.
(02-18-2019, 04:08 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 12:34 PM)Norgarth Wrote: Just want to point out that Babylon 1 thru 3 were destroyed before completing construction

This was actually lampshaded in the show when Delen asks Sheridan about it.  In reply, he highlights what is pretty much Humanity's superpower among all the other races: their bloody-minded stubbornness.

An idea for a fun one-shot: how they manage to save all five Babylon Stations.  They first stumble over the incomplete Babylon 1, and then somewhere else someone spots Babylon 2.  At which point, someone goes, "Wow!  It's amazing they haven't blown up yet!"

Que the strained silence as everyone who's seen Babylon 5 has an internal "oh FUCK!!!" moment.

The rest of the story is everyone scrambling to find the rest of the stations, find the bombs, defuse the bombs, and keep that damn Vorlons from taking off with Number 4.

With the epilogue being us getting all the people that came with the Stations sorted out.  Tongue

Sorting out the people won't be too big a problem here - IIRC, each Babylon station had its own crew. Sorting out who supplies them will be a bigger issue.

<Oprah> You get a space station, and you get a space station, and you get a space station... everybody gets a space station! </Oprah>

(02-18-2019, 04:08 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 03:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: Changing tack slightly, I think NASA should be involved in space exploration, too. To save bandwidth, I'll point at this post I just made in Fenspace.

Heh.  You're gonna have NASA, JAXA, ESA, and Roscosmos all in one corner with Starfleet in the other, and their all shooting some very leary looks at each other.

Everybody forgets the CSA - even after we built all those Canadarms.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-18-2019, 09:33 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 04:08 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:

Everybody forgets the CSA - even after we built all those Canadarms.

D'oh! Cry
I seem to recall some suggestions in other threads... so let's see whether I can pull together a reasonably-complete list. Spot what I've added. Smile

LEO: the various corporate stations seen in Planetes, Stellvia

GEO: Starbase 1, Thunderbird 5

The Moon: the ruins of the Silver Millennium, Moonbase Alpha, TMA-1

Earth-Luna Lagrange points: ?

Counter-Earth #1: High Fantasy. Slayers, Record of Lodoss War / Rune Soldier Louie

Counter-Earth #2: Post-Apocalypse. Mad Max

Counter-Earth #3: Cyberpunk.

Counter-Earth #4: Shiny-Happy. Starfleet Command (in San Francisco), South Ataria Island.

Counter-Earth #5: ?

Mars: Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, Helium.

Mars orbit: Babylon 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5

Jupiter orbit: a Monolith (protecting Europa and acting as a gateway to... somewhere)

Saturn orbit: the Valley Forge and its sister ships

Pluto: the Gates of Time
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-03-2019, 03:02 PM)robkelk Wrote: Saturn orbit: the Valley Forge and its sister ships

Just for shits and giggles, I had the sudden mental imagery of WALL-E and EVA being on one of those ships because of WatchMojo's analogy drawn between the two movies.

And Hotaru is just going to be absolutely ecstatic to know that her planet is suddenly being orbited by self-sustaining biospheres.

Hmmmm...  Should we go all Legion of Superheroes and have Titan be an Earth Colony World where the majority of the population are high-end telepaths?
Mt. Markham, antarctica...

A UN 'climate' research facility. Or the crashed remnants of an alien terraforming device that failed to activate.

I sort of wanted that in Fenspace too....

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Counter-Earth #2 (post-apocalyptic): the City of Olympus (anime Appleseed), Mega City 1 (Judge Dread), Fist of the Northstar

Counter-Earth #3 (Cyberpunk): Ghost in the Shell,
Hmmm.... Problem: Do we put Battle Angel Alita/Gunm on Earth #2 or Earth #3, because it clearly qualifies under both.

I'm tentatively leaning more towards #3 due to the orbital ring with the cities of Tiphares and Ketheres.

(And can someone explain to me why it's still being called Zalem in the movie? I thought that was just a weird bit of Bowdlerization from the English version of the OVA.)
(03-04-2019, 01:48 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: (And can someone explain to me why it's still being called Zalem in the movie?  I thought that was just a weird bit of Bowdlerization from the English version of the OVA.)

So we don't confuse the city with the villain from RWBY, duh!
(03-03-2019, 05:29 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: And Hotaru is just going to be absolutely ecstatic to know that her planet is suddenly being orbited by self-sustaining biospheres.

As long as somebody remembers to turn the lights on.

And how many of those biospheres are going to be brought back to Earth orbit to re-seed the post-apocalypse world?

(03-03-2019, 05:29 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Hmmmm... Should we go all Legion of Superheroes and have Titan be an Earth Colony World where the majority of the population are high-end telepaths?

Sure, why not?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
New wiki page for this thread.

Have at it...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
an idea for Counter-Earth #5: A cape world. Marvel, DC, Worm, The Incredibles, etc
That's the one that I was forgetting! Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sounds about right. Things will have to be nerfed a bit - like all the god-level-and-beyond BS. And stuff like Worm's Endbringers? Yeeeeaaaahhhh. Belldandy don't play that shit.
(03-06-2019, 08:00 PM)Norgarth Wrote: an idea for Counter-Earth #5:  A cape world.  Marvel, DC, Worm, The Incredibles, etc

Add one Norman Mundy, Certified Normal Guy.  Has a Court Mandated "No Contact" for every one in a mask.