Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] The Fourth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Fourth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
(03-16-2019, 03:45 PM)Labster Wrote:
Quote:when we didn't have to worry about sexually-transmitted diseases.

Whoa back up there, talk about burying the lead, how was this achieved?!1

Errr... Easy. "These people have been cursed by <god_of_monogamy>! Repent, sinners!"

(03-16-2019, 03:45 PM)Labster Wrote: I know romance and civil war are important and all but do you know of some way that could saves millions of lives?

Huh? Please rephrase and/or clarify. I think I have some idea of what you mean, but I need a little more info.

(03-16-2019, 03:45 PM)Labster Wrote: Also cultures with polygyny and not polyandry tend to have a lot of social inequality in the most important sense; could you imagine what the incels would be like?

..... I guess I can see that, but social inequality is kinda hard to perceive when your people are just starting to get out of the hunter-gatherer phase - those would be some awfully thin social classes.

Quote:it was always up to the woman whether she wanted to join an existing relationship

And with social inequality "up to the woman" can mean "desperately looking for a way to survive, this guy seems like the only option."  This applies to our current society too, and there's an extent to which we turn a blind eye on it.  See the end of the last thread.  But this gets worse in polygynous societies, like Saudi Arabia.

The Saudis are operating on a set of very antiquated laws that were originally meant to be there for women's protection. See the bit your above contribution in about Incels. You need to look to societies where lineage is traced through the matriarchal line, such as the Jews (who were also polygynous at some point in time).

(03-16-2019, 03:45 PM)Labster Wrote: I'd always imagined the Silver Millennium as a lot more King Arthur than Heralds of Valdemar.  And like Arthur's story, there had to be some social cracks which led to the end of the era.  "Everyone got possessed by evil" is a boring story, "unhappy let evil into their hearts" rings more true.  And Valdemar is an explicitly post-apocalyptic society that had learned the lessons, in a way the Silver Millennium wasn't.  Well unless there's some story that hasn't been told yet (poor Sailor Theia).

I haven't read any of those books, but in regards to the bit about 'evil'... Really, when you take a very hard look at religion, it wasn't so much that other people were 'possessed by evil', no matter what the writers of the time would have wanted you to believe. It was the writers themselves that 'let evil into their hearts'. I mean, just look at the Salem Witch Hunts. If one neighbor happened to not like the other, then they'd find any kind of excuse to make others believe they were a witch. "SHE'S A WITCH BECAUSE HER GARDEN IS BETTER THAN MINE! WITCH! WITCH!" (Not that it has anything much to do with polygyny, just an example of human evil.)

Dartz Wrote:Okay. This has gone creepy.

"Creepy" is a valueless term, used to represent a vague negative emotional reaction, rather than one based on logic, along with an attempt to impose societal norms.  The word should be avoided.

Hrm. I wouldn't say 'valueless'. Like Dartz said right afterwards, it was making him uncomfortable for some reason, but he's having difficulty in defining exactly what it is that's making him uncomfortable. Ergo, the word 'creepy'.

Let's break it down a bit without getting into the Merriam-Webster's books.

Creepy...

Something that 'Creeps'...

Snakes 'creep'...

And there are aspects of a snake's movement that, believe it or not, are not fully understood by modern science. An experiment was conducted once to see how snakes are able to gain sufficient traction on a smooth surface where the friction coefficient between the snake's scales and the surface was practically nil. And yet, there was something that allowed the snake to attain some kind of traction. They could not explain it.

Ergo, creepy.

(03-16-2019, 04:34 PM)Dartz Wrote: For one thing I've very little idea where yousre getting the energy to run this when the working week is utterly shattering me and my creativity in a way that longer hours in college, or the dole years, didn't...

The human brain requires far more energy than most people give it credit for. If you're worked to the bone, you literally do not have enough energy to 'brain'. This is why people tend to make more mistakes when they're tired. Come at this again when you've gotten some rest.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Fourth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals - by Black Aeronaut - 03-16-2019, 06:24 PM