Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[IC][WIP][Arc 1] How I Managed to Quit Worrying and Love The Grief Seed
RE: [IC][WIP][Arc 1] How I Managed to Quit Worrying and Love The Grief Seed
Sorry, no story content, but I will be picking apart one of the future relationships that I haven't really talked much about yet.

Usually, the way this happens is that I'll hear a piece of music that will perfectly fit as one characters love song to another.  And then as I keep replaying it over and over again, the picture becomes clear as I construct a believable narrative of how these two characters could interact in a romantic manner.

A lot of the times, these songs are dark, moody, and absolutely oozes with a heartfelt pain.  But that is what tends to color these relationships that Ben has as he relates his pain to those that begin to come into his heart.  Ironically, the relationships he has that are more physical than emotional will look oddly wholesome on the surface because they're exuding an air of two people just out to have fun and be human together.

But with those closest to him?  They've seen the wounds.  They've tasted the poison as they've taken turns sucking it out of his heart.  These relationships are far deeper and more subdued... at least to outside observers.  This will, in part, be a remnant of habits formed before when they had to hide their love for each other.  The romantic gestures are there, but they are subtle and seldom seen.  It will always be a little bit different with each of his wives, but there will always be a certain gravitas in the way they look at each other in the eyes.  People will see right away that there is a very deep bond at work here, and any attempts to disrupt it will end in futility, and possibly a great deal of humiliation.

Between Madoka and Benjamin, this theme of one gently healing the other's hurt comes through loud and clear.  With this, it's honestly no surprise that they develop feelings for each other.  But even though this takes a toll on Madoka, her heart breaking each time she learns what caused each of his scars, Benjamin comforts her in return, reminding her that despite the odds he somehow made it out.

Placebo's cover of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" is every bit as dark and moody as the parts of Ben's heart that have been scarred beyond recognition.  He envies Madoka for what she had in her childhood - a family full of love and support - but he's not afraid of communicating this to her, and he does so in a frank and honest tone.  Madoka, in turn, is glad that he does not keep these things to himself - even though it pains her to hear it.  The pure and agonizing hell of it is that they both know: if it was possible, Madoka, with all of her selfless love, would have gladly traded places with him in a heart beat.

And it's not as though Madoka wouldn't have her own love song for him!  The only thing in the world that makes her as happy as seeing Homura smile is seeing Benjamin's smile as well.  She can always tell when it's his real smile because it's the one that make his eyes glitter with mischief.  And she truly loves seeing that smile.

This song is kinda hard to find.  I know it's on Google Play along with the rest of the album plus one other, but I'm not so sure about iTunes.  Either way, I had to create an unlisted Youtube video so I can share it here.  I'm sure that Amy Fox would not mind.

And so you have the story of two hearts here.  One so riddled with old wounds that it's amazing that it still beats.  The other such a kind and empathic heart that it not only bleeds for him, but it cannot help but be drawn closer.  Because even though it is battered, his heart is strong.  It's gotten him to this point.  And she knows that his heart will keep going strong for a long, long time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [IC][WIP][Arc 1] How I Managed to Quit Worrying and Love The Grief Seed - by Black Aeronaut - 10-16-2019, 12:43 AM